I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:14:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  New dialysis patient
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New dialysis patient  (Read 2050 times)
skynet0419

« on: September 09, 2014, 09:32:17 PM »

Hello Everyone

Im John.  32, Type 1 Diabetic for about 12 years now.  Saw my father go thru kidney failure, dialysis, and ultimately a successful transplant.

A few weeks ago, I was feeling very weak and had trouble shaking when i stood or walked.  I had a blood test and was later admitted to the hospital for elevated Potassium levels (I think 7 or 8 ).  Long story - short: they had to do dialysis for about two hours to bring my levels down.  Nephrologist tells me that my kidney function is pretty low and he recommends i start dialysis.

Being diabetic, I had always expected that one day i would have to deal with kidney disease.  Just not this soon...

Anyway I just had my PD catheter surgery today. 

This is all pretty new and terrifying for me. 

Hoping to find some great support and information here :)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 09:55:08 PM by skynet0419 » Logged
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 10:49:03 PM »

Welcome, skynet0419! Glad you found the site. Sorry you crashed and had to be hospitalized. Now that you are starting dialysis, you'll learn how to avoid that from happening altho sometimes it just can't be helped. My husband was diagnosed late in life (early 40's, he's now 56) with Type II Diabetes and is insulin dependent. He just started hemo-dialysis last September, we've been doing home hemo since the day after Christmas 2013. Please learn all you can, read as many as the topics here that you can. You'll see a lot about PD under the "Home Dialysis" topic. Do not be shy with questions. There are a lot of good (and very experienced) people here who are all willing to help and share their knowledge and experiences, if not, their humor. 

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 11:53:31 PM »

Hello Skynet, and may I extend a very warm  :welcomesign; to IHD...

You'll find lots of information, support, and friendship here...

Visit us often....

Looking forward to seeing a lot of you around here...

Darth... Moderator...

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »