I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:04:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  Baxter HomeChoicePRO running noise
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Baxter HomeChoicePRO running noise  (Read 3775 times)
josb

« on: September 03, 2014, 10:43:33 PM »

For those of you who have a Baxter HomeChoicePRO, how noisy do you feel it is? Mine makes this constant, Morse-code humming noise that's keeping me awake, and I'm starting to  entertain the idea of mounting a padded cardboard box over it at night to keep it quiet. What does your machine sound like? Thanks for any data you can provide.

Jos
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 01:26:00 PM »

What is it standing on? If it is bedside cabinet, drawer underneath can act as amplifier.  Maybe stand it on something that is absorbant and act as a damper.  Also put a fan on.

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 02:52:40 PM »

Mine made a humming noise, but we got used to it in short order. It never was bad enough for me to contemplate covering it with anything. I would be concerned about airflow through the machine if I had covered it.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
josb

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 01:25:16 AM »

It sits on a towel on a heavy metal cart. And we already run a fan while sleeping. I'm also worried about overheating so I'm probably just going to try to ignore it as best as I can. Dialysis is annoying already, one more aggravation isn't going to matter :)

Thanks for the responses, folks.
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 11:44:40 AM »

I remember ours sat on a towel. If you get in touch with Baxter's and explain that it is really noisy they will change it. They did owes it was driving us nuts. The more you hear it the more you listen.
josb

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 10:52:42 PM »

Yes, it's like that. If it gets too much I'll call them. Again, thanks for chiming in.
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 09:16:17 AM »

I used to get mine changed out regularly for noise issues.  If it is loud enough to put a phone next to it when you call so they can hear how unaceptable it is.  They don't like switching them out, but if it is more noisy than normal they will.  However, there is a certain amount of noise even with normal machine ops., that users (and those poor souls next to them) have yo become accustomed to.

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
grannyM

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 05:47:51 PM »

My pro-choice has been noisy from day one. It hums, whirls, sucks, blows, till I wake up with every drain and fill. When the first bag is done the machine sucks like someone with a straw trying to get out the last drop. I got a white noise machine but it only plays for an hour then stops and later the pro-choice woke me up.  The machine was moved to a rolling cart and put at the end of the hallway then I have a fan between me and the machine so I don't hear as much.  My daughter was visiting and in the spare bedroom.  Machine kept her awake.  It is not a constant noise, just as I get to sleep it makes so much noise I wake up.  GRRRR  I refuse to take it with me if I go anywhere overnight.  I tried it once and the machine seemed to echo in the motel room.  If I visit someone I don't take it so no one has to listen to it.  I talked to my pd nurse and she insisted it is no more than the average refrigerator. Several more times I said it was noisy and she again she insisted no one else has ever mentioned noise so I must be way to light a sleeper. Most people adjust to it and just ignore the little noise.  HA  Two and half years later and it is still noisy.
JLM

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 06:20:41 AM »

Have you complained to your tech support?

I'm just where God wants me to be, not one step ahead nor one step behind.
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 06:53:21 AM »

I don't mind the hum.  What I hate are the alarms!   :rofl;  Has anyone called technical support?  The 24 hour line they used to answer has a recording these days.  When I needed some advice last week, I called them, no one but a machine answers.  So I called my on call nurse, and no one answered my call for six hours.  Are the bundle cuts from Medical affecting service too?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »