I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:27:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  fondest childhood memory
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: fondest childhood memory  (Read 5695 times)
dialysisuser82

« on: August 12, 2014, 05:00:46 PM »

I would like to know what is your fondest childhood memory? 

For me, it was a hot summer day I was strolling with my grandma.  The tamarind tree with ripened fruits dangling, the leaves swaying back and forth giving nice breeze. I walked just behind her quietly 

and feeling content.Whenever she would go out, I always asked if I could come along. 

My fondest memory with grandma.

EDITED: Moved to Off Topic.  Rerun, Admin.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 08:24:15 AM by Rerun » Logged
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 01:43:28 AM »

Going " downtown" on the bus with Mom and going into Woolworths for a chicken salad sandwich. AND an ice cream soda.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 02:27:49 AM »

I was very lucky to grow up in an area, where many farmers had just sold their land to the town who wanted to build another district there in years to come...
... During my childhood there were many fruit plantages, which were continuing to grow without any farmer's attention (and no chemical spraying etc.)
... and during the summer I made friends with the beautiful horses there, learnt to ride etc. and in the autumn I was able to climb the trees
and pick all the apples and plums I could possibly fancy to eat and there was no one to say anything about it, because the land had become a no-one's land...
... they only began to build houses, when I had become a teenager and that was the time when my childhood was over anyway and we moved away to the town...

P.S. That beautiful environment assisted me to "escape" my many bad experiences with my very poor health during my childhood
with the disease (SLE/MCTD) I had inherited from my genetic mother, who had died shortly after my birth...
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 04:20:28 AM by kristina » Logged

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 08:30:42 AM »

Riding horses.  I had 3 horses in all.  Cindy, Nabisco, and McKeya.  I wish I could still have a horse but I live in town and can't afford to have one boarded.  But, I miss the smell and the wind. 

Sugarlump
Elite Member

10 years on and off dialysis

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 11:27:03 AM »

My fondest and earliest childhood memories are ... the freedom we had as children (unsupervised by adults)...we lived in a small Kentish village in the UK and everywhere was our playground.
The farmer's fields were our dens, in the growing corn and with the bales. A small building site was the place to make mud pies and sandcastles. We had secondhand bikes and no helmets. We rode
a friend's ponies with no hats. We caught slow worms as pets. Picnicked on neighbours apples and raspberry canes. Took neighbours dogs for walks. And wandered off into the local woods for adventures with
a brown paper bag of jam sandwiches.
We had no televisions or videos or computers or phones, so we were outside 99% of the time.
We never really lusted over anything anyone else had so we were happy.
And I survived all that!!!! (Health and Safety hadn't been invented yet)  :cheer:

10 years of half a life
3 years HD 1st transplant Feb 08 failed after 3 months
Back to HD 2nd transplant Dec 10 failed after 11 months
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
Back on HD (not easy to do that third time around)
Fighting hard (two years on) to do home HD ... watch this space!
Oh and I am am getting married 1/08/15 to my wonderful partner Drew!!!
The power of optimism over common sense :)
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 01:53:14 AM »

:bump;

Gerald Lively

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 12:24:35 PM »

I grew up in what is now called a dysfunctional family; a light-weight way of describing angry alcoholics who married because I came two weeks before they thought marriage was a good idea. Hey, it wasn't all bad, I learned to survive.  All was revealed when the US Government did a background check for my clearance.  Damn, I had an older sister.
Somewhere around the fifth grade the Teacher was reading us a chapter a day from Jack London books.  Just like a pop quiz, she instructed us to write a book review about what was read so far.  At that time, well before TV, I was a radio adventure kid.  Those were really serial stories, soap operas for kids.
I wrote my book review in the same style those radio serials closed each episode - with a provocative question.  Yep, I wrote it and handed it in.  I was one of those kids who was sent to the back of the class because I was always talking, a long way from the Teacher.  That afternoon she literally shouted out my name.  My first thought was, "I'm in trouble."
She praised my report and embarrassed me by reading what I wrote to the class, the only report she read aloud. 
At this time it was the only positive reinforcement I can recall when I was a kid.  I loved it. 

Hodgkin's Lymphoma - 1993
Prostate Cancer - 1994
Gall Bladder - 1995
Prostate Cancer return - 2000
Radiated Prostate 
Cataract Surgery 2010
Hodgkin's Lymphoma return - 2011 - Chemo
Renal Failure - 2011
Renal Function returned after eight months of dialysis - 2012
Hodgkin's Lymphoma returned 2012 - Lifetime Chemo

Human hopes and human creeds
have their roots in human needs.

Eugene Fitch Ware
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 02:07:49 AM »

Also, a ride on Daddy's shoulders where I was so tall I could see anything and nobody bumped into me.

Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 12:10:59 PM »

I can remember being allowed to sit on Daddy's knee whilst he had a cup of tea and a cigarette for breakfast, and read the paper (must have been the weekends)... made me feel like a big girl!

10 years of half a life
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
frankswife

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 04:30:53 PM »

Every Saturday my Dad would go to the Italian shops in town and buy cannoli, crusty Italian bread, olives, Genoa salami and provolone. We'd have lunch and watch monster movies all afternoon.I miss my Dad.

"If we all abandon our posts, who then will stand?" St. Augustine
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 09:53:50 AM »

My fondest and earliest childhood memories are ... the freedom we had as children (unsupervised by adults)...we lived in a small Kentish village in the UK and everywhere was our playground.
The farmer's fields were our dens, in the growing corn and with the bales. A small building site was the place to make mud pies and sandcastles. We had secondhand bikes and no helmets. We rode
a friend's ponies with no hats. We caught slow worms as pets. Picnicked on neighbours apples and raspberry canes. Took neighbours dogs for walks. And wandered off into the local woods for adventures with
a brown paper bag of jam sandwiches.
We had no televisions or videos or computers or phones, so we were outside 99% of the time.
We never really lusted over anything anyone else had so we were happy.
And I survived all that!!!! (Health and Safety hadn't been invented yet)  :cheer:

I also survived my own childhood without any "Health and Safety" surprisingly well:
I was riding a horse without any safety precautions and without ever wearing a helmet...
...I even started riding a horse without any saddle and never had any accidents...
... I went for many investigative walks into this huge forest...
...without ever coming across any harm and without ever losing my way...
I was playing near a deep lake without ever drowning
and played with all sorts of animals without ever getting harmed, 
Furthermore, I climbed on all sorts of trees to pick my apples or pears, without ever falling down...
... And when I was a "very grown-up" teenager, a friend allowed me to borrow this motorcycle to drive on my own
and I drove this heavy motorcycle without any helmet as fast as I could manage to drive it and I enjoyed every minute of it...
... My good luck was probably, that no one ever told me that whatever I was trying to do could be dangerous
and so I had no reason to be nervous about anything at all...

« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 10:06:34 AM by kristina » Logged

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 12:47:07 PM »

Im 63 and grew up in the 50's.  If you let children do what we did then You would be arrested.Bikes no helmets, slay riding on a step hill that ended in a bunch of trees.  (Mike Kelly ran into one lost his spleen and all that was said is you better jump off) .  Going out in the sun getting burned to a crisp and being told it add vitamin D (not to mention my regular trips to the dermatologist to have skin cancers removed).  Blowing stuff up with M80's and Ash cans.  In High school one of my classmates bitterly blew himself up with a large amount of gunpowder, well that one brought the police and the ATF.  Its amazing I lived past my 16th birthday.  Even more amazing my parents lived long enough to retire.  One last one, races to the top of the 80 foot oak in the back yard.
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2015, 09:55:53 PM »

Not having a care in the world and just being a kid, not having to grow up so fast

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
Vt Big Rig

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2015, 05:38:57 AM »

I am the same age as Mr Murphy and must be we grew up in the same town because we did all the same things.

But my best and everlasting memory is playing "catch" with my Dad. He was the best ball player I ever saw. I would give anything for one more game of "catch" after dinner.

For those of you in the UK that is just tossing a baseball back and forth.

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
Started with NxStage - April 2015
6 Fistula grams in 5 months,  New upper fistula Oct 2015, But now old one working fine, until August 2016 and it stopped, tried an angio, still no good
Started on new fistula .
God Bless my wife and care partner for her help
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2015, 10:53:37 AM »

Having my father show me how to build an electric motor from scratch with a coil of wire, some nails and misc odds and ends.  I think I was around 9 or 10 at the time.
Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2015, 12:19:35 AM »

Remember being taken to choose my very first puppy (think I was about 7) with my sis and coming home with a black, white and tan cocker spaniel.
He was so cute, we called him Pepe! We had to peg up his long floppy ears when he ate his food otherwise they dangled in it!!!

10 years of half a life
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2015, 01:40:57 PM »

Just being a kid (innocence)

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2015, 11:23:54 AM »

A "not so fond" childhood memory of school was going into first grade with chewing gum in my mouth. Being told to spit it out did not faze me even a little bit. But, the final thing was having to put the chewing gum on my nose and sit on the floor under a table embarrassed me so much, I never did it again. Hahaha, physical violence!!!!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »