I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 06:46:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Ranting ever onward!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ranting ever onward!  (Read 2626 times)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« on: March 22, 2007, 09:48:04 PM »

My 3000 post should be a rant they said, so here goes.

I am posting my 3000 post here because I am on dialysis. I should not have to be posting here. I should have good kidneys. Ones that work. Yet here I am with two dead kidneys, facing all the trials and tribulations of having to get listed for that cadaver kidney donor. I think it is pretty morbid that someone has to die in order for me to get a kidney.  It seems weird in a way.  I wish I had a crystal ball and could see into the future. But then why spoil the ride?  I feel like I am on a giant roller coaster and it is a sucky one because you cannot see around the next bend.

LIST is a four letter word in my house, until I get on it!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 09:50:00 PM by kitkatz » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 09:58:24 PM »

I am with you in your rant, Kitkatz!
However, please excuse my little Pollyanna interjection.  If it wasn't for this terrible disease, you would not have gotten to know us (especially me.  how could your life be worth anything without knowing me ;D)!

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 10:29:13 PM »

Keep on ranting Spunky, til ya get to at least 10,000 posts. Then nap.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Hephs-little-lady

Always dance like no one is watching!

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 01:47:22 AM »

Woohoo, congrats on your 3000th.  :beer1;

Heres to the next 3000, entertaining, informative, funny and ranting posts.  ;)

:D Knowledge Is Knowing That A Tomato Is A Fruit, Wisdom Is Not Putting It In A Fruit Salad.
aharris2
Elite Member

Volcan Pacaya, Guatemala

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 03:59:09 AM »

congratulations on your 3000th post, i myself was happy with being a newbie, see i don't really post that much.(I chat a lot, mind you) so i think I'll die before i even reach 1000 posts.... oh well life is a beach n the you....swim in it...

cheers,

Rolando

:beer1;

Life is like a box of chocolates...the more you eat the messier it gets - Epofriend

Epofriend - April 7, 1963 - May 24, 2013
My dear Rolando, I miss you so much!
Rest in peace my dear brother...
AlasdairUK

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 04:06:32 AM »

Doctors don't seem to realize how stressful it is to get listed. It is a fairly big part in your future life that you are trying to plan. Go hit them all with big sticks. Are there any other kind?

94 - PD for 3 months
94 - HD Permcath for 3 months
95 - RLD Transplant 10 years
2005 - HD Permcath 6 months
2006 - 2008 HDF Fistula
2008 - 2nd Transplant
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 10:42:39 AM »

Just be glad you don't live in Canada, where the list is 8 years long, thanks to the country having the industrialized world's lowest per capita organ donation rate, and arrogant nephrologists refusing to let paired organ donation programs operate, such as they have in the U.S., because "they are still studying the matter to make sure it is ethical."  Just because they are experts in the machinery of the human body, doesn't mean they know anything about a moral, philosophical topic like ethics, but try telling them that!  (If they knew anything about ethics, they would not put their own leisurely determination of whether the program is moral above the interests of patients who are dying without such a program!)

Also, many of the criteria used to determine who gets on the transplant list and who does not are  entirely arbitrary, being designed to keep the list artificially short so that those on it have at least some hope of ever getting a transplant.  Transplant coordinators and nephrologists love to play God by making patients squirm under the pressure of their irrational decisions, and many are the patients ruled unfit for transplant on psychological grounds, because of overweight, excess age, predicted non-compliance with post-transplant medications, etc. are in fact perfect candidates for transplant on purely objective medical criteria.  The worst absurdity I have seen in this regard is the policy at some centers to assume that patients who cannot perform the nearly impossible task of self-torture in denying themselves a normal fluid intake will also necessarily not be able to perform the utterly simple task of taking pills twice a day post-transplant because they are "non-compliant" and will always fail to comply with any and every regimen!
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 11:41:47 AM »

There is an eight year wait list in the state of California for a kidney and the wait for an O+ kidney is even longer. *Sigh*  I agree with most of what you said about the medical profession and its whims. :banghead; :banghead; :wine; :wine;

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 11:57:32 AM »

Hoops, hoops, hoops.

I can't jump any higher!

Hang in there, kit!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »