I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:39:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  S'mores
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: S'mores  (Read 4717 times)
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« on: July 31, 2014, 05:48:39 PM »

I ought-ta be ashamed of myself.  G'son is almost 8 and tonight we finally got around to making S'mokes.  Teaching him to toast marshmellows over the BBQ.  He LOVES them!

I had to step inside as it's time to do my last exchange of the day, then I'll go back out to see how he and his Gramma are doing.

I'm almost afraid to test my blood sugar later.  It will just be another big boost and even more insulin for today.

Good thing I don't do stuff like this every day.

He already knows Gramma has BOGO coupons for Daairy Queen Blizzards, so you know what he's going to be begging for all day tomorrow.
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 08:16:53 PM »

We used to put our marshmallows on sticks, put them in the fire until the outside was in flames, blow them out and pull off the char.  Quick and easy and then you get to eat more marshmallows than waiting for them to toast nicely.   :rofl;
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 09:18:49 PM »

We used to put our marshmallows on sticks, put them in the fire until the outside was in flames, blow them out and pull off the char.  Quick and easy and then you get to eat more marshmallows than waiting for them to toast nicely.   :rofl;

Thought that's how you're suppose to make them.  ;D

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 09:31:29 PM »

Guilty secret, or it was until I clicked "reply:" I've been addicted to S'mores for about 2 months. I make them in my toaster oven.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 09:32:53 PM »

I ought-ta be ashamed of myself.  G'son is almost 8 and tonight we finally got around to making S'mokes.  Teaching him to toast marshmellows over the BBQ.  He LOVES them!

I had to step inside as it's time to do my last exchange of the day, then I'll go back out to see how he and his Gramma are doing.

I'm almost afraid to test my blood sugar later.  It will just be another big boost and even more insulin for today.

Good thing I don't do stuff like this every day.

He already knows Gramma has BOGO coupons for Daairy Queen Blizzards, so you know what he's going to be begging for all day tomorrow.

At least you came on here and confessed. Don't beat yourself up over it. Being a good g'dad to your g'son is important and so you've made up for your little indiscretion today. As for the BOGO coupons, we expect a full confession after your trip to Dairy Queen tomorrow. FYI: My husband is diabetic. The first year we were married we had a lot of candy left over for Halloween Trick-or-Treaters. I didn't think much about it and just sat the bowl aside. In plain sight, including his. Needless to say, that was a BIG mistake (on my part). My husband must've thought I was being mean or a terrible wife. Halloween has never been the same.

I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 07:54:04 AM »

LOL,  We still have a small plastic bucket of G'son's Halloween candy on top of the refrigerator,  I stay out of it, no chocolate there.

I've been a 'Chocoholic' all my life.  Used to skip school, hitchhike into town and stop by the candy counter at JC Penney's.  They'd have a GIANT Hersey's bar they would break into  chunks..  Fist sized being about the smallest as this bar was almost 4 inches thick, 2 1/2 feet wide and about 4 feet long.  I'd get at least a pound and walk around town, browsing the pawn shops eating that big chunk of chocolate. I managed to graduate H.S., full credits, even with my attendance.  Went to class far more often in college.  Dean's List most of the years.  Huge change for me.

I was diagnosed diabetic last Nov, graduated to using fast acting insulin about March.  I ALWAYS keep a stash of chocolate the wife doesn't know about.  Sort of like a recovering drug addict, or smoker, (been both, still smoke tobacco only now), as long as I know it is there I can usually leave it alone.  Once in a blue moon allow myself just a taste.  But if my safety blanket is GONE!!!!!!  Panic time....... OH NO, I GOTTO GO GET SOME!!!!!

Wife has been diabetic for way many many years.  She doesn't pay near enough attention to her sugars, runs way too high most of the time, and all too often sorta O.D.'s on her insulin (or won't eat) and her sugar falls almost scary low.  She buys Butterfingers and Hersey bars, keeps them in a plastic bag in the bottom refrigerator door.  Never should keep chocolate in the refrigerator.  It tends to 'disappear'. ;)

Then it have to take another 10 units of Humalog.

iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 08:13:00 AM »

Speaking of bad treats, my sore spot is nuts.  (I do candy when I have it but I'm not diabetic so that's not as bad as phosphorus loaded nuts.)  We are a in book club and everyone we visit someone's house they have nuts out, and I keep eating them before and after lunch, until I'm well passed stuffed and have to go home and nap off all the food.  Some times I bring a 16 oz. jar of peanuts into the office, that lasts about three days!  One plus side my office has free snacks including 100 cal bags of almonds, recently I've really cut down my consumption of those to help control my phosphorus intake.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 08:27:33 AM »

Have you ever put a Marshmallow in the microwave?  That is cool!  You need to watch it.  Do not walk away.

:flower;

PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 11:01:58 PM »

Have you ever put a Marshmallow in the microwave?  That is cool!  You need to watch it.  Do not walk away.

:flower;

That part "do not walk away" makes me think something like "Linda Blair" or something in the movie "Alien" will happen.   

PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 11:11:03 PM »

CharlieB3's story about giant Hershey bars at JC Penney stores made me think of popcorn at old Sears stores. For some reason, I have very vague memories of that or else heard about it from someone else long ago. Mmm...can you smell it??  Heck, I can remember the Woolworth stores and their little diners inside. Dang, now those were good family stores! And I'm hungry now for chocolate and nuts, go figure! As a carepartner, I have to admit, I hate not having GOOD food around here anymore! 
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 11:13:02 PM by PrimeTimer » Logged

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 08:43:25 AM »

CharlieB3's story about giant Hershey bars at JC Penney stores made me think of popcorn at old Sears stores. For some reason, I have very vague memories of that or else heard about it from someone else long ago. Mmm...can you smell it??  Heck, I can remember the Woolworth stores and their little diners inside. Dang, now those were good family stores! And I'm hungry now for chocolate and nuts, go figure! As a carepartner, I have to admit, I hate not having GOOD food around here anymore!

Do you have a "Les Schawb Tire" store where you live.  They still have popcorn.  Because you have to wait forEVER!

Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2014, 10:31:33 AM »

Gramma took both G'sons to DQ with the BOGO Coupon.  Two boys, one coupon, guess who almost got left out?  Gramma bought me a small one.

Glad she did!

Truth be known, if I had went, I would have bought me a LARGE. I can be a pig when it comes to ice cream.

I still ended up taking extra insulin.

Oh, the Cuppachino/Heath is the best!   MMmmmmmmmmm!

Dad owned a refrigeration company.  He set up a Sweden Soft-server ice cream machine at home.  Every Friday on his way home he would stop by the Dairy and  pick up a 7 or 8 gallon milk jug of serious ice cream mix.  Fri night and Sat  we would make LOTS of ice cream, adding our favorite fruit and flavors to the batches.  Filling and freezing the 2 1/2 gallon paper tubs, and pigging out on all the soft ice cream left over from each batch.

Ice cream EVERY night before bed.

I think I had THE best childhood, ever!

Could this be why I STILL have this jelly roll around my middle?
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 10:16:35 PM »

My parents used the old handcranked machine with dry ice to make vanilla ice cream. Us kids had to take turns sitting on it while one of the adults did the cranking. For an extra treat, we'd put blackberries on top. But there was a bit of a dark sneakiness about the berries.  Mom would load us kids up with lots of buckets and we'd head down the country road to pick the berries. Couple hours later, we'd return but with only one bucketfull. However, one look at our mugs tho and it was obvious as to what happened with the rest of the "evidence". Mom always knew that would happen, which years later come to find out, she told us that's why she had always sent us out with A LOT of buckets. She knew she'd be lucky if we came back with even just one bucket full. We were busted. But, despite there being more berries in our bellies than in the buckets, we ALWAYS ALWAYS still had room for the ice cream (and Mom knew that too)! 
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 10:18:55 PM by PrimeTimer » Logged

Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2014, 05:08:26 AM »

LOL  Kids will be kids.  I'm half surprised that you still like berries.  Growing up on the far west side of Yakima, WA, there were orchards as far as you could see.  Farther if you got up on a hill.  All kinds of fruit.  As each fruit would ripen everyone that wasn't working would get hired to pick.  If school was in session, picking was a valid reason to miss school, so a lot of kids would be in the orchards picking.

Cherry season my three brothers and I were trying to make some money but didn't make much.  And didn't last but a couple of days.  Being kids, one cherry went in the bucket, ate one, and bounced one off of a brother leaving a nice red stain in his clean white T=shirt.  By the end of the day they were red shirts, bellies full of cherries, and we didn't have too many buckets of cherries.  Cherry season lasted longer than we did.  After a couple of days Mom was pretty hot.  Cherry stain don't wash out of white very well.  And four boys were fighting for turns in the bathroom.  All those cherries wanted OUT, right now!

This year is THE FIRST time that I have ever bought a bag of cherries at the market and ate them.  I might even start trying cherry pie. I hear that it is pretty good.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2014, 12:20:23 AM »

Frozen blueberries is a good thirst quencher. I also add some to the ice cube trays for my husband. I do the same thing with frozen grapes. Ahh...cherries! Can remember taking what was to be a romantic stroll with my high school beau down to the little cherry orchard. We sat there eating cherries til we were almost too sick to make the walk back home. His mother had planned a big dinner so we had to show up at the table but oh, we never ate so many cherries like that again!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »