I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:26:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  How save is the dye used in an angiogram ?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How save is the dye used in an angiogram ?  (Read 11652 times)
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2014, 04:32:39 AM »

Thank you LisaBart.
I am very glad that your husband has found a reliable medical team
who are kind, understanding and assist him to be more at ease...
... Hopefully I am also on my way, because have recently started to consult a nephrologist,
who appears to be listening, thinking and above all: he appears to be very professional ...
... which makes me feel a little bit more at ease...
(I just hope it's not too good to be true...)
...and I do hope very much, that he keeps like that and is "not going off" after a while
as so many nephrologists, I have consulted in the past, have done...
Thanks again from Kristina.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 04:33:40 AM by kristina » Logged

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2014, 09:37:03 AM »

LisaBart, With such a low percentage of kidney function, I wonder what your husband's potassium levels are running at.  It is not just the physical symptoms that are an issue, but if this is very high, he could be risking heart attack.  Why is he holding out so much against dialysis?  He doesn't sound as if he is suffering and he would feel better doing dialysis, particularly a home modality (PD or home hemo.). By holding out this way, he is risking emergency dialysis.  Does he even have an access yet so he is ready to start?

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
Sugarlump
Elite Member

10 years on and off dialysis

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2014, 12:53:05 PM »

My husband  needed to have his fistula repaired a few months back and was given the option to have it patched (taking a vein from his groin to do so)
or dye & stent, he opted for the patching so they didnt need to use dye as the surgeon said it may be detrimental to his remaining kidney function, (8-9%)
Anyway, the patch failed and a month later they stented it anyway! He is currently at 7%, and still denying he needs dialysis...he does have times of the day that he vomits,
and a few days where he feels very very bad, he is sleeping lots (day) and needing sleeping tablets at night for a decent sleep...
He has lost interest in doing muh for me at home...even the dishes!!!
He has had angiograms in the past....and 5 years ago had a 5 way heart by-pass, he was probably at about 20% functron then, but he felt loads better and went back to work...for a time.

I would expect anyone with a function of less than 10% would feel better on dialysis, even twice a week for 3 hours minimal dialysis.
Acute tiredness and sleepiness and vomiting are all poor kidney function signs.
What is his hb? That would be very telling.
Because poor kidney function affects the bone marrow eventually and the body's ability to make red blood cells. Red blood cells = oxygen = energy.

Tell your husband the prospect of dialysis is worse than the treatment.  :cuddle;

10 years of half a life
3 years HD 1st transplant Feb 08 failed after 3 months
Back to HD 2nd transplant Dec 10 failed after 11 months
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
Back on HD (not easy to do that third time around)
Fighting hard (two years on) to do home HD ... watch this space!
Oh and I am am getting married 1/08/15 to my wonderful partner Drew!!!
The power of optimism over common sense :)
LisaBart

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2014, 08:49:49 PM »

LisaBart, With such a low percentage of kidney function, I wonder what your husband's potassium levels are running at.  It is not just the physical symptoms that are an issue, but if this is very high, he could be risking heart attack.  Why is he holding out so much against dialysis?  He doesn't sound as if he is suffering and he would feel better doing dialysis, particularly a home modality (PD or home hemo.). By holding out this way, he is risking emergency dialysis.  Does he even have an access yet so he is ready to start?

"I would expect anyone with a function of less than 10% would feel better on dialysis, even twice a week for 3 hours minimal dialysis.
Acute tiredness and sleepiness and vomiting are all poor kidney function signs.
What is his hb? That would be very telling.
Because poor kidney function affects the bone marrow eventually and the body's ability to make red blood cells. Red blood cells = oxygen = energy.

Tell your husband the prospect of dialysis is worse than the treatment.  :cuddle;"

He is holding out because his original nephrologist has told him to stay off dialysis until he feels he needs to start! Plus he is still in denial!Says it won't do any other organs anymore damage!
In saying that we do keep a check on potassium etc...if anything he has had low potassium at times and yes he has been a little aneamic but also keeping an eye on that.
Clinic have a "hotline" if I have a problem I call them, we are 5 minutes away from a hospital. Yes fistula all ready to use.
I tell him he will feel better on dialysis, and so do the nurses.
 Its awesome that I can come here and hear your opinions from what you have been through and relate to whats happening here..thank you :)
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2014, 01:42:53 AM »

Hello again LisaBart,

I am very glad that your clinic gave you the number of their “hotline” to call, if there is a problem
and it is re-assuring, that you are only 5 minutes away from the clinic.

I wish you both good luck and hopefully things are getting sorted out soon.

Best wishes from Kristina.

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2014, 05:57:33 AM »

I feel for your husband I to tried to delay dialysis for as long as possible.  For two years my nephrologist tried to convince me it was time to start dialysis.  But I was waiting for the symptoms to show up.  I wasn't feeling great but I thought I was okay.  I wasn't a complete boob I had a fistula created in my arm, but until I saw a sign I wasn't willing to commit to the major change in life that is dialysis.  One day in work I began to feel nauseous and had to end up in the men's room worshiping the porcelain god.  That did it I started dialysis the next week.  It was one of the most difficult periods of my life.  Not because of dialysis but because of the fear of the unknown.  The closest I can come to explaining how I felt is I felt the same as I did when I was five going to kindergarten for the first time. I survived kindergarten. And I survive in dialysis.  Dialysis is many things , long boring, some times difficult, and rarely pleasant, but it is also life.  I feel much better on non dialysis days then I did before.  I am looking forward to a long enjoyable life. Dialysis has it's challenges just read this web site, but it has it's rewards too.  You get to meet a group of people who understand what you are going through.  And you are not alone family, friends, and other patients are there for you.  Select a good center go visit and show your husband what is in his future, the fear of the unknown is much worse than the reality.
Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2014, 01:34:13 PM »

Well said Michael  :clap;

10 years of half a life
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
LisaBart

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2014, 07:34:03 PM »

Thanks Michael. It's people like you...a working man ( and everyone else of course) he needs to chat with, but he puts his head under the covers!!
I know it's the fear of the unknown, but I think when he starts he will just take it in his stride. I can only say so much, he has to choose his own time.
We only have one local clinic and the next is 2 hours away...and until recently you had to travel if the other was full....
I have to get on with my life and it would be easier if he would take the step and have the dialysis so I am not feeling like I have to be here
constantly. 2 weelks til next neph vivit so will see what thy have to say :)
Thanks for your input.....appreciate it.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2014, 08:46:54 AM »

LisaBart,

Your husband's may not be able to admit that his fear of dialysis is greater than his sickness.  Which puts his life at serious risk.

I am/was deathly afraid of even the thought of hemo dialysis but my Mother was on PD her last few years before passing from an un-treated heart.  She was deathly afraid of by-pass surgury having lost a sister-in-law to complications of by=pass surgery, so she simply refused to deal with it.  And it did take her.

I went on PD and I am no longer sick.  In fact, I am better now than I have been for a great number of years.  Dialysis has made a significant improvement in my quality of life.

You need to set your husband down and show him this posting.

Have a serious talk about his fears, see if he is willing to face his fears, improve his health, and extend his lifetime so you two can remain together longer.

I know that someday PD will begin to fail and I will have to begin hemo, and I will accept that, when it becomes necessary.

I have a G'son that I am not willing to lose,  I will do anything that I have to to keep my health so that I can stay here longer.

Once your Husband begins to understand these then maybe he will begin to accept his illness and the treatment he needs.  He isn't really ready to die yet, he just needs you to help him figure that out.

I only hope he does quickly, as it is getting very late.

Take Care,

Charlie B
LisaBart

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2014, 06:07:16 PM »

Thanks CharlieB53,
Seriously there is no way he will sit down and read anything on this site, he won't even read anything he is handed by the nurses...
Same when he had his bypass surgery, he refused to listen to them and just said tell my wife and just do it.
Sadly I am only here as his carer now, my life has been on hold for 4 years its been 10 years since he was diagnosed
the first 6 I was seriously concerned.....many would say more fool me, but I am not one to walk out when someone is in need.
I am beginning to wonder if he's just trying to keep me here by not trying to become better by having dialysis?? Sorry, this kinda turned into a vent!!
I can only advise him, offer other peoples advise and let him be the decider.  He actually hasn't vomited the past couple of days, which is a good sign, but he also has
not been up and about much doing anything, though, its been terribly wet & wild weather.........  :banghead; :banghead; this is me!!
He's gone back off to bed watching a movie and I refuse to stay indoors today....I am off out for a birthday lunch with my best friend and confidante.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2014, 04:04:00 AM »

I am very sorry LisaBart what you and your husband go through and I can understand your husband’s attitude ...
...He might need a little more time to come to terms with this new situation of needing dialysis.
Like myself over the past 43 years, your husband might also have tried very much over the years,
to keep his kidneys functioning longer or  to find ways how to avoid dialysis for as long as possible ...
...and there is also the aspect of getting a little tired sometimes, not only from the situation of end stage kidney failure,
but also from trying so hard and so much for so long... Pease give him a little more time...
and I am sure he comes around to agree with you and the nephrologist...

Best wishes to you both and good luck from Kristina.

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2014, 11:27:27 AM »

Thanks CharlieB53,
Seriously there is no way he will sit down and read anything on this site, he won't even read anything he is handed by the nurses...
Same when he had his bypass surgery, he refused to listen to them and just said tell my wife and just do it.
Sadly I am only here as his carer now, my life has been on hold for 4 years its been 10 years since he was diagnosed
the first 6 I was seriously concerned.....many would say more fool me, but I am not one to walk out when someone is in need.
I am beginning to wonder if he's just trying to keep me here by not trying to become better by having dialysis?? Sorry, this kinda turned into a vent!!
I can only advise him, offer other peoples advise and let him be the decider.  He actually hasn't vomited the past couple of days, which is a good sign, but he also has
not been up and about much doing anything, though, its been terribly wet & wild weather.........  :banghead; :banghead; this is me!!
He's gone back off to bed watching a movie and I refuse to stay indoors today....I am off out for a birthday lunch with my best friend and confidante.

Big hug from me  :cuddle;
Even if he doesn't admit it, I am sure he needs you more than ever now.
I wish you strength and peace. Take care of yourself as well.

10 years of half a life
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2014, 01:37:18 PM »

I had a heart attack followed by angioplasty and six stents, a complete rotor cuff tear, (lost complete use of my right arm for 6 months)and finally kidney failure.
Each of these events made me feel less,  i lost the feeling of invincibility that every male is born with (why else would teen age boys do what they do).
Now I needed help and I needed to make changes not cause I wanted to but because I had to . Your husband is only going to put this off so long.  Eventually he will end up in a hospital and he will start dialysis then.  He won't have many choices at that point.  He needs to make decisions that will set his life for the rest of the time he has.  Hemo, pd, home hemo,  these are serous choices and I have found the more I control what happens to me the better I feel about the whole process .  Now I avoided dialysis for 2 years after my nephrologist wanted me to start. However I had my fistula created when my doctor said it was time. But for two years I deluded my self that I would never really start dialysis. De Nile is more than a river in Egypt. I suffered no ill effects from this personal delusion but as you can tell I finally had to admit to my self it was time.  Since then I cope by doing what I can do for my self,  your husband has been dealt a bad hand as have a of dialysis patients have.  What I found amazing was how much my fellow inmates at the dialysis center enjoy their lives and strangely the companionship of others who are in the center.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2014, 02:08:31 AM »

Hello Michael,
you certainly have gone through very rough times yourself
and I thank you for your sensible and very kind understanding.
I am going through similar stages myself at the moment and it helps to read
your honest account of what you have already gone through.

Thanks from Kristina.

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2014, 05:34:27 AM »

Sometimes we reach a point in our lives when we are faced with mountains and we feel as if we cannot deal with the climb.
Our fear of the unknown stymies us.
But you know, we are very resilient as human beings and it is amazing what you can cope with when you have to.
When I look back and remember all the mountains and hurdles I have climbed in the last ten years, with kidney failure, dialysis, failed transplants, line failure,
hospital superbug infection, heart problems, heart attack and an angiogram so far ... I realise (when I thought I couldn't cope at the start with any of it)
how strong I really am...

Don't sell yourself short  :boxing; we're tougher than we look!

10 years of half a life
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2014, 04:09:13 AM »

Thank you Sugarlump,
you are right, we are much tougher than we look...
... and every mountain/hurdle is a challenge, that has to be approached and climbed individually...
... our good luck is, that some mountains are not that difficult to climb ...

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
LisaBart

« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2014, 04:16:27 AM »

I think you are all amazing !!!
Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2014, 09:28:03 AM »

I think you are all amazing !!!

Just human  :beer1;

10 years of half a life
LisaBart

« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2014, 03:14:51 PM »

Many sound super human !!
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »