I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:18:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories
| | |-+  Hotel is trying to charge me $25 per baxter box
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hotel is trying to charge me $25 per baxter box  (Read 5830 times)
smokey1277

« on: July 10, 2014, 06:40:27 PM »

Hi, I am on PD and traveling to Houston tomorrow morning. I had my pd bags delivered to the hotel and they arrived from baxter today. I called the hotel to make sure they had arrived and the hotel is saying they are charging me $25 per box (8 boxes). Has anyone every encountered this while traveling? Is there anything I can do to not have to pay $200. thanks
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 11:54:04 PM »

Hotels are often pretty good about waiving the fee when you explain the medical life support nature of the product.  The key is you have to contact the hotel manager (one good question to ask is "Am I talking to someone who has the authority to waive this fee?").   It is little benefit to get into a conversation about a fee waiver with a low level functionary who does not have the authority to take the charge off your bill.

Ideally, this should be done at reservation time so you can try another hotel if the first one refuses to budge.

If you meet resistance, you can ask the hotel manager who the ADA compliance officer is at corporate, as you are requesting a "Reasonable accommodation under the Americans with disabilities act".   Don't fuss about the fact that the "reasonable accommodation" clause may not technically apply - just explain that charging you for accepting delivery of life support material is like charging extra for a handicapped room.  There is a good chance you can get the corporate office interested, particularly when you start muttering "ADA compliance"  (once again, the fact it may not apply is irrelevant - you are using this as a negotiation tool, not to litigate).

I had good luck in Las Vegas getting the per-package fee waived by asking for the manager when making my reservation back when I was on PD.

Just remember to tip the bell person who delivers the packages to your room generously.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 08:31:03 AM by Simon Dog » Logged
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 05:50:11 AM »

Great advice Simon Dog, including tipping the bell person and calling at reservation next time.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 06:14:00 PM »

Had this issue multiple times.  Have just explained ADA to them, and stuck firm and it has always been waived.

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
JW77

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 12:07:40 PM »

Pretty much out of order.. If they did this in the UK they'd be breaching the disability discrimination laws.

Creator of London Kidney Social: https://www.facebook.com/groups/LondonKidneySocial/

Medical stuff, includes 3 kidneys, cancer, meningitis, 1 heart attack and its long and not that interesting! Maybe one day I'll write a book.! `

I have an eclectic taste in music, I fly kites, I read, write, tog, blog and have a bit of a passion for multicellular eukaryotes, and kites.

Founder of Kites4Kidneys - Start making your kites for WKD 2015..
https://www.facebook.com/kites4kidneys
Wat76

This Too Shall Pass

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 11:03:35 AM »

Wow, that is shocking, I have traveled several times this summer and had my solution shipped by baxter to the hotel.  I have never been told that I had to pay for the hotel to receive the boxes.  I have to be sure to check that out next time and make sure that I am not being charged.  Good Info.

PKD: PD started in February 2011.
Live, Laugh and Love daily.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 11:25:48 AM »

Wow, that is shocking, I have traveled several times this summer and had my solution shipped by baxter to the hotel.  I have never been told that I had to pay for the hotel to receive the boxes.  I have to be sure to check that out next time and make sure that I am not being charged.  Good Info.
This varies tremendously by location.    I've had packages (non-medical) shipped to me at many hotels, and it was the rarity that a fee was charged.  One exception to this seems to be Las Vegas, where every hotel runs package receipt as a virtual business, with lots of trade show types receiving packages.  Even so, many hotels will waive this once you meet two criteria - 1) explain it is medical and 2) reach someone who is actually allowed to make a decision rather than just cite policy.
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 01:20:07 PM »

Yep, escalated it upwards.

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 04:29:35 PM »

Jenna has traveled out of state twice and both hotels were very accommodating. No charge for her boxes but she was clear up front that these were medical supplies for dialysis.

Go to http://www.ada.gov/cguide.htm#anchor62335
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)

The ADA prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability in employment, State and local government, public accommodations, commercial facilities, transportation, and telecommunications. It also applies to the United States Congress.

To be protected by the ADA, one must have a disability or have a relationship or association with an individual with a disability. An individual with a disability is defined by the ADA as a person who has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, a person who has a history or record of such an impairment, or a person who is perceived by others as having such an impairment. The ADA does not specifically name all of the impairments that are covered.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »