I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:48:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  The music in our lives
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The music in our lives  (Read 88247 times)
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #300 on: January 31, 2019, 12:46:29 PM »

Viva La Quince Brigada - Pete Seeger and the Almanac singers ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnzwXVpZGrA

The Abraham Lincoln Brigade. 

During the Spanish Civil War (1936-39), almost forty thousand men and women from fifty-two countries, including 2,800 Americans volunteered to travel to Spain and join the International Brigades to help fight fascism. The U.S. volunteers served in various units and came to be known collectively as the Abraham Lincoln Brigade.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 01:06:07 PM by kristina » Logged

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #301 on: February 02, 2019, 10:25:35 AM »

Song of the Volga Boatmen - Red Army Chorus - Leonid Kharitonov ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNb54rwDQJM

Leonid Mikhailovich Kharitonov (18 September 1933 – 19 September 2017) was a Russian bass-baritone singer. He was honoured with People's Artist of the RSFSR and Honored Artist of RSFSR. In the West he was noted for his Song of the Volga Boatmen.

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Paul
Elite Member

That's another fine TARDIS you got me into Stanley

« Reply #302 on: February 02, 2019, 01:06:11 PM »

Song of the Volga Boatmen

Probably  a sign I need to grow up and act my age: When I read your post my mind was not on the good music, my childish brain simply said "I'd never invite those boatmen to one of my dinner parties, they are so vulgar."

Whoever said "God does not make mistakes" has obviously never seen the complete bog up he made of my kidneys!
UkrainianTracksuit

« Reply #303 on: February 02, 2019, 04:18:24 PM »

Oh, I absolutely adore Leonid Kharitonov! He lived a long life was noted for his humility and kind character.

This remains one of my absolute favorite videos on all of YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_jdXLEFBpE

He showed such fun and personality!
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #304 on: February 03, 2019, 02:21:39 PM »

Many thanks Ukrainian Tracksuit for this wonderful song and for the cheeky interpretation by Leonid Kharitonov about the dark-eyed Cossack girl who looked after horses.
This song very much reminds me of a short story by Tolstoy about the beautiful daughter of a postmaster at an Inn, where horses were exchanged for busy travellers and where the postmaster's daughter suddenly disappeared without a trace and her father leaves all and desperately searches for his daughter for the rest of his life and then he was buried, a broken old man, still searching for his daughter, near the home where he had lived with his now disappeared daughter ...  and many years later the daughter returns to visit his grave, together with her children and she spent a long time weeping at his grave.
Many years ago she had run away with a handsome aristocrat, whose family would never had allowed him to marry her, so he convinced her to become his lover and he "kept" her luxuriously as that from then on.
Because she lived unmarried with this aristocrat as his mistress, she could not possibly let her father know about this situation, as it was looked upon as being very shameful for a respectfully brought up beautiful young girl to do something like that, especially since this aristocrat already had a wife and children ... in Tolstoy's story the aristocrat obviously only thought of himself and had no regard for the feelings or future of this young girl when he convinced her to run away with him, without having the courage to talk about it with her father.
I don't know at the moment where this book is, but I remember vividly Tolstoy's short story, because it impressed me ever so much as a teenager, as it described the selfish character of this aristocrat and his victim, this young beautiful girl and the second victim, her father ...
Many thanks again to share with us this song by Leonid Kharitonov and ... I have to look again for my Tolstoy collection ...  Best wishes from Kristina.  :grouphug;
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 10:51:48 AM by kristina » Logged

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #305 on: February 05, 2019, 12:55:26 PM »

The Volga Boatmen - sung by Paul Robeson - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfsWoNpHg2s

Paul Leroy Robeson  (April 9, 1898 – January 23, 1976) was an American bass baritone concert artist and stage and film actor who became famous both for his cultural accomplishments and for his political activism.

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #306 on: February 07, 2019, 12:19:54 PM »

After listening to something else on YouTube, it suggested I listen to Fascinating Aïda's song "So Sorry Scotland". Glad they did. Great song, great music, and it will also explain a very British current problem to non-Brits.

https://youtu.be/mVy7faNKEtM

(Translation of one British slang term in the song - Barnpot: North England/Scottish word for "idiot".)

Whoever said "God does not make mistakes" has obviously never seen the complete bog up he made of my kidneys!
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #307 on: February 07, 2019, 02:12:08 PM »

That's really funny, Paul!  Somehow, though, I don't think the solution will be found in Scotland.

Thanks for posting this.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #308 on: February 08, 2019, 02:41:33 AM »

Interesting opinion delivered in a  :o language and it comes as no surprise that the film makes a point in mentioning that  : "Comments are disabled for this video"  :waiting; ...  Crikey ! I thought that emotions had settled a little by now about Brexit, because, after all, it has been going on for quite a while and still may take some years to finally get settled ... ?
Thank you for posting this Paul, it is quite an eye-opener.  :thx;

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
enginist

« Reply #309 on: February 08, 2019, 12:44:36 PM »

I'm all over the spectrum, from Bob Dylan and Joan Baez to the Pogues, the Cranberries and, from Katrina, the nocturnes of John Field.  For running, I like trance or house or EDM, whatever you want to call it.  At 180 bpm, it's exhilarating.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 12:48:34 PM by enginist » Logged
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #310 on: February 08, 2019, 01:46:02 PM »

After listening to something else on YouTube, it suggested I listen to Fascinating Aïda's song "So Sorry Scotland". Glad they did. Great song, great music, and it will also explain a very British current problem to non-Brits.

https://youtu.be/mVy7faNKEtM

(Translation of one British slang term in the song - Barnpot: North England/Scottish word for "idiot".)

Hello Paul,
Please tell me : to which Heathrow-Terminal are you mainly referring to, when you mention that "it" will also explain a very British current problem to non-Brits ?
Many thanks for answering from Kristina. :grouphug;
P.S.  If you think it could be an inappropriate question to answer, it would be perfectly understandable ...

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #311 on: February 09, 2019, 02:05:16 PM »

I thought that emotions had settled a little by now about Brexit

Wow, you really don't read the news do you! Plenty of "Remain" supporting politicians are still getting death threats, or threats of violence from "Brexit" supporters. Some women MPs have even been told that, if Brexit does not happen, they will be to blame, and they will be raped in revenge! Believe me, it is about as far from "calmed down" as an active volcano next to a densely inhabited city. Rees-Mogg (the main pro-Brexit MP) has even threatened civil unrest if Brexit is delayed.

And on the other side (Remain) an anti-Brexit economist recently shocked John Humphreys by stripping naked while he interviewed her to make her point. (Bloody childish thing to do IMHO, but better than the Brexiteers who threaten violence, murder, and rape if politicians disagree with them. Although I do hope that the Brexiteers don't start stripping off too. I really really really do NOT want to see Rees-Mogg or Boris Johnson naked.)

it comes as no surprise that the film makes a point in mentioning that  : "Comments are disabled for this video

The reason comments are disabled on the video is probably because arseholes would post threats of violence and rape against the singers if they were left open.

Please tell me : to which Heathrow-Terminal are you mainly referring to, when you mention that "it" will also explain a very British current problem to non-Brits ?

Not sure what you are asking, I didn't mention Heathrow?

« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 02:15:19 PM by Paul » Logged

kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #312 on: February 09, 2019, 02:54:27 PM »

I thought that emotions had settled a little by now about Brexit

Wow, you really don't read the news do you! Plenty of "Remain" supporting politicians are still getting death threats, or threats of violence from "Brexit" supporters. Some women MPs have even been told that, if Brexit does not happen, they will be to blame, and they will be raped in revenge! Believe me, it is about as far from "calmed down" as an active volcano next to a densely inhabited city. Rees-Mogg (the main pro-Brexit MP) has even threatened civil unrest if Brexit is delayed.

And on the other side (Remain) an anti-Brexit economist recently shocked John Humphreys by stripping naked while he interviewed her to make her point. (Bloody childish thing to do IMHO, but better than the Brexiteers who threaten violence, murder, and rape if politicians disagree with them. Although I do hope that the Brexiteers don't start stripping off too. I really really really do NOT want to see Rees-Mogg or Boris Johnson naked.)

it comes as no surprise that the film makes a point in mentioning that  : "Comments are disabled for this video

The reason comments are disabled on the video is probably because arseholes would post threats of violence and rape against the singers if they were left open.

Not sure what you are asking, I didn't mention Heathrow?

Hello Paul,
You are absolutely right with your thought that I may not read the daily papers and since I don't have a television-set, I don't listen and watch the daily news on TV either. Just now and then I listen to the radio. In my teenage years I once studied through some archive "old" newspapers at a University and that was quite a real eye-opener, because the real news were hardly ever reported and that was "it" for me from then on.
Thanks for writing about the interesting opinions about Brexit; emotions obviously still "run" very high ...
I still cannot make up my mind about it at all, except that I suspect some "racket" behind it all, but I don't know where it is coming from and what it might mean?
Thanks about the information and all the best wishes from Kristina. :grouphug;
P.S. Rees-Mogg or Boris Johnson "threatening" to present themselves naked as some kind of protest or whatever ? Good gracious, what next? From what I "know" about them, I always suspected that there was not much class  ...

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #313 on: February 09, 2019, 03:16:20 PM »

I still cannot make up my mind about it at all, except that I suspect some "racket" behind it all, but I don't know where it is coming from and what it might mean?
P.S. Rees-Mogg or Boris Johnson "threatening" to present themselves naked as some kind of protest or whatever ? Good gracious, what next? From what I "know" about them, I always suspected that there was not much class  ...

There are plenty of people who believe that Putin had his hand in some of the discord that came during/after the referendum.  Our respective foreign office/State department know that his dream is to see the destruction of NATO and the implosion of the EU, and it is understandable why he fears those two institutions in particular.  Putin may well be "the racket".

Since this is a thread about music, I can't imagine anyone waxing lyrically about either Rees-Mogg or Johnson running about without their clothes.  Imagine THAT soundtrack! :rofl;

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #314 on: February 10, 2019, 01:00:49 AM »

There are plenty of people who believe that Putin had his hand in some of the discord that came during/after the referendum.  Our respective foreign office/State department know that his dream is to see the destruction of NATO and the implosion of the EU, and it is understandable why he fears those two institutions in particular.  Putin may well be "the racket".

Since this is a thread about music, I can't imagine anyone waxing lyrically about either Rees-Mogg or Johnson running about without their clothes.  Imagine THAT soundtrack! :rofl;

... Would not be surprised if it finally came out as a terrible toothache-symphony ... ?  :laugh:

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #315 on: February 13, 2019, 02:43:06 PM »

Johann PACHELBEL: Ciacona in F minor, T206 - YouTube

I love the music of Pachelbel and try to avoid the commercials, but I am unfortunately not always lucky with it, sorry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxED1odw5GY

« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 03:05:50 PM by kristina » Logged

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #316 on: February 17, 2019, 10:10:10 AM »

... There is nothing to say except that here is a genius conductor who conducts the work of a genius composer ...

L'ouverture de Tannhäuser de Richard Wagner (1813-1883)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFwlhBAoZz4
Video for Tannhauser Overture - Richard Wagner Karajan dirigee▶ 14:32
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 01:00:52 PM by kristina » Logged

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Blake nighsonger

« Reply #317 on: February 27, 2019, 12:09:33 PM »

My favorite song "Fly by night"- by the Artists " Rush".........on the " 2112 Overture" Album.

Saw a Documentary on the history of this bands. The core values and hard work renewed my interest.  The precision of a three piece band is unbelievable!!!     

Obviously though, not for everyone.     
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #318 on: February 27, 2019, 12:16:25 PM »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Oh, that's a blast from the past!!   :2thumbsup;  That's a great song!

PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #319 on: March 13, 2019, 09:55:53 PM »

Here's another blast from the past. Considering what the song is about and the fact that it was first recorded in 1978, it kind of freaks me out now to listen to it. Guess they knew where technology was taking us.

The video is from a live performance in 2004. I think they performed for the Royal Family. Dang! The Buggles still got it! Good for them!

https://youtu.be/IUgF49Rtg7Q

Here are the lyrics.

"Video Killed The Radio Star"

I heard you on the wireless back in fifty two
Lying awake intent at tuning in on you
If I was young it didn't stop you coming through
Oh a oh
They took the credit for your second symphony
Rewritten by machine on new technology
And now I understand the problems you can see
Oh a oh
I met your children
Oh a oh
What did you tell them?
Video killed the radio star
Pictures came and broke your heart
Oh, a, a, a, oh
And now we meet in an abandoned studio
We hear the playback and it seems so long ago
And you remember the jingles used to go
Oh-a oh
You were the first one
Oh-a oh
You were the last one
In my mind and in my car, we can't rewind we've gone to far
Oh-a-aho oh
Oh-a-aho oh
In my mind and in my car, we can't rewind we've gone too far
Pictures came and broke your heart
Put down the blame on VCR
Oh, you are a radio star
You are a radio star

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #320 on: March 24, 2019, 10:16:40 PM »

These 2 Cellos will be playing in Chicago on March 26 (MooseMom.... ;) I absolutely love them! Anyone lucky to hear them perform will no doubt feel fulfilled and in love with life.

2Cellos Hallelujah

https://youtu.be/Z3649dq6boA

I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #321 on: March 26, 2019, 03:31:05 PM »

Argh!  That's tonight!  I wish I had seen your post earlier about the 2 Cellos, Prime Timer; I would have tried to get into the city to see them.  Thanks so much for the youtube link; no wonder you love them so much.  Such a sweet, sweet sound...lovely tone!

PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #322 on: March 26, 2019, 04:04:48 PM »

Argh!  That's tonight!  I wish I had seen your post earlier about the 2 Cellos, Prime Timer; I would have tried to get into the city to see them.  Thanks so much for the youtube link; no wonder you love them so much.  Such a sweet, sweet sound...lovely tone!

And they're kind of easy on the eyes....hee, hee….oh, if I was young again!   :P   Shhh! Don't tell! 

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #323 on: March 26, 2019, 08:54:45 PM »

Yes, I did notice that.  LOL!  Your secret is safe with me, PT!

PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #324 on: July 05, 2019, 04:44:47 PM »

It's the weekend! Hope all of you have some kind of "wonderful" going on!

The Drifters  -Some Kind of Wonderful

https://youtu.be/nrqILBc8ow0

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19 Go Up Print 
« previous next »