I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:38:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  The music in our lives
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The music in our lives  (Read 87711 times)
MooseMom
Member for Life

« on: July 07, 2014, 01:18:51 PM »

Name ONE song/piece of music you heard today.  Where were you when you were listening to it?

"Sober" by Pink, and I was in my car on the way to the shops.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 05:39:34 PM »

Great idea!

Dancing Queen by ABBA, in my car from my iPhone.

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 01:09:17 AM »

Wonderful idea!

During breakfast I listened to Jean Pierre Eustache (flute) and the Collegium Musicum de Paris (Collection Richesse Classique 1970's)

playing Antonio Vivaldi’s Six Concerti opus 10...  very dreamy and just the right music to start my day ...
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 01:50:33 AM by kristina » Logged

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
SooMK

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 06:44:46 AM »

"Song for Adam" by Jackson Browne. I was listening to my tunes while getting dressed. Makes me think of the old days.

SooMK
Diagnosed with Uromodulin Kidney Disease (ADTKD/UMOD) 2009
Transplant from my wonderful friend, April 2014
Volunteering with Rare Kidney Disease Foundation 2022. rarekidney.org
Focused on treatment and cure for ADTKD/UMOD and MUC1 mutations.
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 10:39:26 AM »

We had Radiohead on in the car and I was asking Blokey how my MiL was following the op to remove half her lung yesterday.

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 12:37:58 PM »

For lunch I listened to “Italian Baroque Trumpet Concerti” composed by Francesco Maria Manfredini, Antonio Vivaldi, Giuseppe Torelli and Tomasso Albioni...
... Joerg Faerber conducted the Wuerttemberg Chamber Orchestra (one of my favourites)...
... and listening to this LP  makes my essentially boring kidney-friendly diet almost feel like taking part at a wonderful banquet...
... especially with lighted candles ...and this music is a complete celebration of life ...

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 01:46:36 PM »

"Breath of Life" by Florence and the Machine while I was mulching my beds.  If any of you have seen "Snow White and the Huntsman", this was the song played during the closing credits.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 12:30:11 PM »

Today I listened to Bach's Concerto for two violins in D minor and his Concerto for violin and oboe in D minor while I was in the kitchen preparing ingredients for a chicken curry I plan to make for dinner tonight.  Then, as I was rinsing the basmati rice, I switched over to "I Just Can't Get You Out of My Head" by Kylie Minogue.

kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 03:57:55 AM »

This morning I listened at first to Narciso Yepes playing the dreamy "Barockwerke fuer Gitarre" (Baroque Works for Guitar produced by Deutsche Grammophon) by J.S. Bach, Domenico Scarlatti, Sylvius Weiss and Gaspar Sanz...
... and after that I listened to the sprightly Mandolin Quartet by Johann Hoffmann (Quartet for Mandolin, Violin, Viola and Lute in F Major)
and the very lively Mandolin quartet for Mandolin, Violin, Viola and Lute in A Major by Francesco Giovanni Giuliani... produced by "turnabout" from VOX Productions...

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 07:55:11 AM »

I heard "Time in a bottle" by Jim Croce....  Reminded me of a friend's wedding in 1979.

:flower;

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 08:22:07 AM »

Last night we had a bit of a binge watch of Game of Thrones, so the theme music is still bouncing around in my head.

Today I was planting some periwinkle in my back garden, and the house across the way was having a new roof installed.  So much for peace and quiet in the garden!  The roofers were listening to all sorts of music.  I heard tracks from Bon Jovi and who I think may have been either Staind or Disturbed or some other band of that genre (which I happen to like).

We don't always get to choose the music we hear in our lives!

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 03:27:33 PM »

We drove to the Mexican part of time to have lunch at our favorite seafood restaurant.  It's just a small casual place, and we were the only "Anglos" there, so we knew we were getting authentic food.  There were three older men complete with black vaquero hats and instruments, so today the music in my life was local and traditional mariachi, something about horses in Guadalajara, I think.   :P

Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2014, 03:44:41 PM »

XM Satellite Radio, 60s on 6. Listen to it all the time.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2014, 11:06:09 PM »

Great idea!

Dancing Queen by ABBA, in my car from my iPhone.
We do home hemo and usually start treatments off by listening to the Music Choice channel on tv (solid gold oldies, 70's or swing). Since today was our "day off", we didn't have the tv on however, I love it whenever ABBA plays...especially Dancing Queen. And now it's going to stay in my head til tomorrow...

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 07:48:58 AM »

From yesterday...

The national anthems of Germany and Argentina!  It was the World Cup Final!

Pod99966

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 08:17:50 AM »

"You and I"  by One Direction..... I have a 12 year old daughter
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2014, 09:39:40 AM »

Sure you do....... :P

iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2014, 10:05:17 AM »

That's ok, my wife and I have no children and are in our 40's, we attended a Katy Perry concert a few weeks ago, and enjoyed it.  We clearly were not the target demographic.  Also interesting to note that most family's had both spouses attending, I would have expect more mothers without fathers.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2014, 12:06:13 PM »

I am listening to J. S. Bach: Six Sonatas for Violin and Harpsichord and Two Sonatas for Violin and Basso composed around 1720.
Recorded in 1970 with instruments from the National Collections of the Smithsonian Institution, Washington.

The harpsichord was made by Johannes Duicken of Antwerp in 1745, the Viola by Barak Norman (London 1718)
and the Violin by John Marshall London 1759. The sound of these instruments is very authentic and wonderful ...

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2014, 09:50:27 PM »

Iolaire, I bet a Katy Perry concert would be quite the spectacle!  Can you describe some of the best bits?

Kristina, we are fans of Rachel Barton Pine who performs on a violin that is not a Strad but was made by a contemporary whose name escapes me.  Music played on instruments hundreds of years old have a special quality, and if you get to hear it live, it is quite a treat.

PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2014, 11:30:29 PM »

Heard "Cupid" by Sam Cooke today -in my head. Love that song. Also love how Amy Whinehouse sang it. She was obviously very troubled but that voice of hers...

I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2014, 11:33:11 PM »

Iolaire, I bet a Katy Perry concert would be quite the spectacle!  Can you describe some of the best bits?

Kristina, we are fans of Rachel Barton Pine who performs on a violin that is not a Strad but was made by a contemporary whose name escapes me.  Music played on instruments hundreds of years old have a special quality, and if you get to hear it live, it is quite a treat.
You have my curiosity up so, I am going to try and see if I can listen to any Rachel Barton Pine on the internet, maybe a youtube ??

PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2014, 11:40:23 PM »

You have my curiosity up so, I am going to try and see if I can listen to any Rachel Barton Pine on the internet, maybe a youtube ??
Found her! Wow! Just wow! I admit, this is not the kind of music that I am "into" BUT...sometimes like to listen to because it is entertaining and/or relaxing. I needed something relaxing tonite and found it! Rachel makes the violin dance or even call out to you. 'nuff said. I'm going back to the youtube of her now.

kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2014, 01:48:56 AM »

Thanks MooseMom, I have been listening to Rachel Barton Pine playing the Violin Concerto No. 1 in G Minor by Max Bruch with CityMusic Cleveland on October 20, 2012 (Youtube) and it is very impressive ! She certainly expresses deep feelings on her violin ...

I have also listened to SooMK's suggestion "Song for Adam" by Jackson Browne which is a wonderful tribute to an era...

It is most interesting what we can learn from each other ...

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2014, 05:53:42 AM »

It had very strong pageantry, from an Egyptian/gladiator theme to start off with - including a "horse" that she rode around on comprised of a few people, near the end a valley girl theme, complete with an inflatable car that they drove/walked around the stage.  I'd say there were eight plus unique themes each with their own costumes and backdrop on a pyramid shaped screen (THE PRISMATIC WORLD TOUR).  There were giant balloons that were dragged around, a few people where pulled up on wires, including a segment with the guitarists on wires with fireworks coming out of their guitars.

But the most fun segment was cartoon cats around LA going to a film opening for some cat related movie - it was narrated by a rapper, sometimes I hear that in music and this was the first time I got it in context with the visuals - her fan club is Katy's Kats or something so that segment was for her fans - it just was fun an entertaining before it went into a song with everyone dressed up as cats and one mouse...

Obviously her songs are upbeat and it was enjoyable.

She took a lot of time to talk to the audience, with some of the focus on being a strong/empowered girl/woman, she had a comment along the lines with Barack as president means that all of you could now also be president (I felt she was talking to her young girl fan base, who in 20-30 years will be long past the newness of non-white-male leadership).  Two or three lucky people got selfies with her that she took.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19 Go Up Print 
« previous next »