I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:35:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  FIFA World Cup 2014
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: FIFA World Cup 2014  (Read 4657 times)
MooseMom
Member for Life

« on: July 09, 2014, 12:36:38 PM »

It's getting to the end of the competition, and the world seems to still be reeling from the utter humiliation of Brazil, brought on by a 7-1 defeat by Germany.  ESPN, in trying to illustrate the magnitude of this defeat to American audiences who might not follow football/soccer, have likened it to a 420-7 score in an NFL game (with most of the points coming in the first quarter and a half of the game!).

Have any of you been following the World Cup?  If so, what are your impressions?  Which have been the most memorable moments in your mind?  I know there are some Aussies on IHD; have you all been following your national team?  I think the Aussies were extremely entertaining to watch.  England, not so much.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 10:11:55 PM »

Yes!  It does remind me of the last Superbowl!   

:thumbup;  Go Seahawks!!   :cheer: 

Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 08:28:28 AM »

England were pants, but then we (as in England) didn't expect anything less! We don't have enough good players to be anything more than mediocre. LOVED the Germany v. Brazil match ... made me laugh (sorry Brazil folk). I'll be watching this evening and supporting Germany, because I like their National Anthem. 

;D

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 08:52:45 AM »

England were pants, but then we (as in England) didn't expect anything less! We don't have enough good players to be anything more than mediocre. LOVED the Germany v. Brazil match ... made me laugh (sorry Brazil folk). I'll be watching this evening and supporting Germany, because I like their National Anthem. 

;D

You probably know this, but Jurgen Klinsmann is the coach of the USA.  I remember when he was a player for the German national side.  Is my age showing?  LOL!

That Germany/Brazil match was just astonishing.  It was all over the news here in the US, which usually disdains football, but even we couldn't believe what we saw. 

I was disappointed in England's performance as they were the other team I was supporting.

After all my years in England, I am not sure I can root for either Argentina or Germany.  Memories of "The Hand of God" and penalty shootouts gone wrong still haunt me.  LOL!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 04:58:15 PM »

Germany 1 Argentina 0! A good game. I was up at 5 a.m. to watch. Football (Soccer) is a minority sport in Australia, even though it has a large junior base. Originally the teams in our biggest league were ethnically based and this caused violence when traditional enemies met, such as Serbia versus Croatia. The soccer overlords are determined to change this, and are, to a great degree, succeeding.
I am like a lot of Aussies. I watch and cheer on our national team in the  World Cup. Then I don't watch another game for 4 years.

Galvo
lainiepop

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 12:55:32 AM »

OK i am from England and i hate football, and the way the footballers and their 'wag' wives are presented by the press over here as amazing. It's contributed to a culture where all young girls want to do is be a wag!
I said to hubby no point watching as england will be out in first week and Germany will probably win (I lived in Germany for a year so feel a sort of loyalty to them, and they tend to do well in football!)

America did well, my lil boy was supporting them until they were out, he's a little obsessed with all thing american at the moment lol wants to go to harry potter world and disney! Hubby says football is gaining popularity in America, is it likely to overtake soccor?!

I am a tennis girl myself and although my son likes football since wimbledon he's asked to try tennis so we're looking to get him some lessons over the summer holidays. He is almost 7 and at the age where he wants to try everything, but it all costs money!! He already does beaver scouts and swimming, and gym at school (which is a free trial at the moment) and his lil sister does ballet and now shes turned 3 ive just booked her swimming lessons for next term.

So did any of u watch wimbledon?! ;)

1982 - born with one imperfect kidney and no bladder, parents told i would not survive
1984 - urostomy op
1990 - bladder built out of colon
2007 - birth of son, gfr fall from 3O to 26
July2011 - birth of prem daughter, gfr 17%
August2011 - gfr drop to 10%
29th May2012 - RECEIVED KIDNEY 4/6 match from my wonderful dad !
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 07:47:02 AM »

Galvo, I watched several of the Aussie matches and thought they played well.  They are a very entertaining team to watch.  That Tim Cahill goal was phenomenal!  He plays club football here in the US (in NY); I saw him play just last week.

Lainiepop, I remember the whole "wag" culture from my years of living over there.  I'm disappointed that THAT particular trend is still around.

I have loved Wimbledon for as long as I can remember (what the hell happened to Andy Murray this year?).  I was fortunate enough to get tickets through the lottery and was able to see the Gentlemen's Finals TWICE.  The first time was particularly memorable.  My tickets arrived and had been kicking around the house for several weeks, and one day I looked closely at them and saw that my seats were IN THE FRONT ROW!  The finals that year took place on Sunday, the Fourth of July, and the two finalists were Pete Sampras and Jim Courier, two Americans.  I have all of my tickets and the fancy cards in which they arrived framed and on the wall in my office.

So this year, I was able to wake up to Wimbledon and then spend the afternoons watching the World Cup.  This morning I am feeling a bit lost that it's all over.  Back to domestic drudgery with no sport to break up my day.   :'(

lainiepop

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 09:10:07 AM »

Moose mom Andy Murray was beaten by a future champion who is very easy on the eye so I was happy ;)

Hubby is from Wimbledon and his mums best friend is actually a member of the Wimbledon ( the actual Wimbledon ) tennis club. She could've been professional but wouldn't have made enough to make it worthwhile. She got us tickets for our wedding which meant we went the following yr for our anniversary we saw agassis final match against nadal and Murray vs roddick.

Last yr a few weeks before Wimbledon she took us in for a tour and got us in the museum free of charge, we also got cake in the VIP players lounge. Andrew was very happy to walk down where they walk onto center court will try find some pics. When we went for our anniversary she met up with us and took us VIPplace for pPimms :) as a member she can go into center and number one whenever she wants  as they have members seats I saw her on TV this yr sat behind henmans dad lol. My son is desperate to go to watch it i said maybe next yr. Before we were married she also took us to play on the courts there, unfortunately we had to use the clay courts they have as the grass ones were being prepped for Wimbledon. I've never played on grass.

Not long til the us open now have u ever been? Have america got any new players to replace roddick etc?

1982 - born with one imperfect kidney and no bladder, parents told i would not survive
1984 - urostomy op
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 09:38:58 AM »

Oh, wow, lainie, that is SO cool!!  What a wonderful way to REALLY see Wimbledon!  I am GREEN with envy!!

OK, so, this would be in the early to mid 90s...I saw a match on Court No 1 between Agassi and Boris Becker.  On Centre Court, John McEnroe was playing his final Wimbledon match, so the atmosphere over there was electric.  We could hear the fans yelling and screaming their enthusiasm.  At one point in "our" match, Agassi and Becker paused, looked at each other, looked toward Centre Court, and walked off so that they could go see THAT match.  LOL!  It was all in fun, of course, and it was really funny.

Remember Anna Kournikova?  I saw a first round match of hers on one of the outer courts.  That poor girl could barely get on and then get off the court without being surrounded by an army of male photographers.  It was really rather sad and creepy.

Yep, Dimitrov looked like the future of men's tennis, that's for sure.  I'm a fan of Murray's because he was at school in Dunblane when that horror occurred, and I remember it well.  Also, my son resembles him.  So, two completely illogical reasons for being a fan, but what's logical about fandom?  I'm curious to see how he will fare at the US Open.

Speaking of which, no, I've never had the chance to attend; maybe one day.  And no, the US doesn't have many men on the horizon who look like they will be much good.  John Isner is our number 1, but that's not saying much, I'm afraid.  On the women's side, Venus surely must be thinking of retiring, and Serena doesn't look healthy.  Sloane Stephens is promising but erratic.

Do you think you might have a chance in the near future to see some more matches at Wimbledon?

lainiepop

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 10:23:44 AM »

What about Jack Sock? He won the mens doubles against the Bryans or will he stay more a doubles player. I loved watching the mens doubles, dont know if u caught any of the invitation mens doubles with older champions like goran etc they were hilarious were not playing seriously, having a laugh with each other and the crowd, one guy brought a little boy from the crowd onto the court!

I thought maybe next yr andrew will be almost 8 we could get ground tickets, although we can get tickets for whatever day or court through jules (steve's mums friend!), have to pay of course! Unfortunately we cant sit in members bit with her lol. When steve lived up there still him and his sister used to go in after school in evening when u get cheap centre court tickets from those who've already left. Jules goes every evening when she can as she is a p.e teacher so good hours for it, and some of the ball girls are from her school. I said to steve it would be good to go straight from school that first friday, stay with jules and take andrew in the eve but i think he'll be exhausted. Steve is a teacher too so can't go during the week. Maybe i'll leave my dad and steve at home with the kids and me and mum can go up ;)

Have attached some pics from last yr, how different does it look without all the people?!

1984 - urostomy op
lainiepop

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 10:27:09 AM »

Two more! My lil girl was only interested in the cake part lol, and the balcony is where u see them filming from or talking on tv sometimes

1984 - urostomy op
UkrainianTracksuit

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 07:30:25 PM »

Very late to this thread... but any way, I'm one of those people that watched every match for the month.   :urcrazy;  Even the matches that were late at night here.  I was one of those kids that was forced to play football because that's what we did at school or what our parents knew as a good form of exercise.  I like the World Cup because I get to see players that I admire that I don't usually get to see because they play in leagues that do not receive much coverage in other countries. 

I'm a football hypocrite in that I supported many teams at once.  I'm still in the process of collecting the Panini stickers for the sticker album (yes, adults collect stickers..) and friends that went to Brazil bought me a plush mascot of Fuleco. 

Now that all the big events for 2014 are over, I'm kind of at a loss to do with the rest of the year.  I can't add to the tennis conversation but if you want insight in what it is to be a D-list (probably way down on the Q-list) wag, I'm your gal.   :P 
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 09:34:49 PM »

Lainie, those are such cool pics!  Yep, I have seen that famous balcony on tv many times.

I missed Jack Sock's championship doubles match but was admittedly surprised to see that result.  He has not made much of an impact as a singles player.  I do not see him beating the likes of Dimitrov.

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 09:41:30 PM »

UTrack, I watched almost every match.  I missed one or two in the group stages.  Which teams did you support?

I am feeling that post World Cup letdown, but since I like all sorts of sport, I may survive.

Tell us your wag stories!

lainiepop

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 12:51:37 AM »

Looking back to the pics i want to go again!

Yes you're right about Jack Sock, but i thought his singles ranking had gone up this yr? I dont think he'll be in Dimitrovs league, or what were the other two called the other young up and comings, the australian who beat nadal and he canadian who beat him in the quarters? They need these younger players as the big four are getting older. Made me laugh when they said about federer being old at 32, I am 32, guess i'll never play at wimbledon now :)

1984 - urostomy op
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2014, 07:54:05 AM »

Isn't the Canadian Raonic?  And the Australian is Nick Kyrgios, I think.  Rather stunning that he beat Nadal.  Makes the anticipation for the US Open that much greater!

lainiepop

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2014, 10:05:28 AM »

Yes you're right. Unfortunately they dont show the US open over here unless murrays in the final or something. Will have to follow online!

1984 - urostomy op
UkrainianTracksuit

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2014, 10:54:41 AM »

UTrack, I watched almost every match.  I missed one or two in the group stages.  Which teams did you support?

I am feeling that post World Cup letdown, but since I like all sorts of sport, I may survive.

Tell us your wag stories!

Which teams I supported: Russia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Mexico, Uruguay, Brazil and Argentina.    I guess once in awhile Colombia.  No magic luck here!  Usually, I am anti-Brazil but this year something clicked.  I've had a change of heart at the group stages.

So, to appease you MooseMom, here are some of the best of the worst tales...confessions of the Q-list!

This is really embarrassing.  Facepalm embarrassing.  However, it shows the "sometimes" cattiness of women in the group.  There was a city festival that included a parade and the organizers had the bright [being sarcastic] idea to have a small float for the wives/girlfriends.  It was to promote the charitable activities being done.  The girls that would've been excellent in such a setting [the ones that made a living modelling or won beauty pageants or just plain gorgeous] didn't want to be bothered with such a thing.  They nominated that I do it with the reason I "liked charity work the best" but they were being.....manipulative?  Scheming?  Looking for a laugh?  Sorry, I don't know the word right now.  The day came and there I was; sitting there embarrassed.  Thank the heavens two other girls were convinced to join me.  I was sat in the middle above them though.  The float started to roll and I had stage fright or is it street fright when in a parade setting?  This old man organizer yelled at me, "You have to wave at the people!  You have to wave!"  I started to wave [most likely like a wacky inflatable tube man] so the man yelled, "Not like that!  Like a lady!  Wave like a lady!"  I channeled my best beauty queen wave which was a failure.  At the end of the parade, the horror was not over.  The whole parade was on local news that evening.  It hasn't shown up on YouTube yet... thank my lucky stars.

On a shopping trip with the guy, I tripped on the pavement in the main walkway outside the stores.  He was recognizable so photos were taken and it was laughed at for a couple days before people forgot.  No more clues in case someone here decides to find them online.   :oops; 

I was poked in the face by a random girl in a nightclub!  She said, "You're [my name here]." I said yes, that's who I am!  She said "I don't like you." and poked me!  Never met her before, never knew her, how can I be disliked?  I blame the parade footage.

One of the girls that became a good friend really wanted another Hermès Birkin bag for her birthday.  We all know the starting price of a Birkin bag.  She was extra sweet to her guy expecting to get this bag.  The night of her birthday party, her guy brought out the big orange box from Hermès and she was bouncing in her seat.  Her joy turned to anger when he bought her the wrong colour.  They started arguing at the top of their lungs and it was a real diva moment.  We didn't know whether to stay or leave.

I guess if you want real juicy parts, PM is best.  I should stop now.  I sound like a total twat and deserves my "problems".  (ahem, no mention of problems in off topic!)
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2014, 12:42:13 PM »

She didn't want a Birkin bag because it was the wrong color???  Oh my word... :rofl; 

I confess; I love your wag stories!  I'd love to hear more but I don't want to be nosy and ask for more, but if you're ever in the mood, yes please!  Do PM me with the juicy bits! 

Do you think you might go to the World Cup in 2018, seeing that it will be held in various sites in Russia (including Sochi!)?

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »