I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:56:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  Just Starting PD
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Just Starting PD  (Read 3248 times)
boats

« on: June 24, 2014, 01:07:39 PM »

Hi all, this is my 4th day on home PD using the Liberty Cycler. I am a 66, male living in northeast Oklahoma. Discovered three years ago that I had kidney disease and luckily was able to stave off dialysis til now. I somehow developed peritonitis before I started using the machine so had to do manual transfers for almost a week before going on the cycler. Am having some discomfort during the drain phase usually in what Liberty calls the "ultrafiltration" segment and experiencing longer drain times than fill times. Wondering if that is normal?
Ninanna

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 01:45:40 PM »

Hi Boats and welcome!  I'm glad you found us and I'm sure someone who knows more about PD than I do will be around shortly to answer your question :)

Spring 2006 - Diagnosed with IgA nephropathy
June 2013 - Listed on transplant list
Feb 4th 2014 - Kidney and bone marrow tx (both from my mother) as part of a clinical trial at Hopkins
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 01:56:39 PM »

This happened for me, too. I had a lot of drain pain - it hurt a lot during the end of the drain time and sometimes the drain took a long time. It gets better over time, but my center changed my program so only the final drain tried to pull all of the fluid out. The other drains left some fluid remaining and moved on to the next fill. I'm sorry that I don't remember what the name of this program is called now. It's something they programmed into my cycler. I received a transplant in February and I've already forgotten a lot!

My fill times weren't any longer though. Have you tried changing your position in bed? I think I got so that I automatically flipped over to my side in my sleep during a fill or a drain to make sure I didn't block the lines.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 03:54:07 PM »

Hi there Boats, and welcome to IHD! It does get better, just takes some time and your body getting used to the cycle. Your team can modify your program if need be, but typically it will work out. One thing, tell your team everything that is going on, no matter how trivial you think it may be. For the first bit, they will be your guide and saviors. Best of luck and keep letting us know how you are doing.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
Bambino_Bear

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 01:36:30 AM »

:welcomesign; Boats!

I think the setting Deanne was talking about is tidal. 

Hope that helps!

I am a caregiver to my wonderful husband,  He is 4p and started PD October 2013. We have several living donors waiting to be tested for a transplant. Dialysis is a bridge to get us where we need to go. 
He had a transplant in November 2019.
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 04:39:41 AM »

Hello Boats... You're very  :welcomesign; to IHD...

My mum's on PD for years....

Hope to see you her often...

Darth...

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
boats

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 01:32:33 PM »

Thanks to all who have offered encouragement. Early on I was beginning to wonder if I'd made the right decision to opt for PD, but as some have said, each it gets a bit better and easier with less pain. Hoping now to settle into a routine and getting on with life as it is.
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 09:03:13 AM »

Hello boats, and  :welcomesign;!

I hope you and PD start getting on a little better as time goes on.

Poppylicious, Moderator

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »