I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:33:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Potential Donors
| | | |-+  Is there any such that that overweight/obsese patiends don't make good donors?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is there any such that that overweight/obsese patiends don't make good donors?  (Read 8323 times)
slicksilver

« on: June 16, 2014, 04:26:06 AM »

I'm 178 cms / 5' 10" and weigh about 120 kgs / 265 lbs and was told by doctors in a hospital here in India that I wasn't ideal because I am overweight/obese. Is there anything like this in the western countries? My gut feeling is that it makes it more challenging for the doctors and they do not want to do that extra bit of work here. This was the sole reason for them saying that I wasn't suited.

What does everyone here think? Thanks in advance for your opinions.
slicksilver

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 04:38:26 AM »

oops wrong forum! please move to potential donors. Thanks!

EDITED:  Moved to Potential Donors, as requested.  Rerun, Admin
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 02:32:59 AM by Rerun » Logged
Ninanna

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 06:23:30 AM »

Being over weight puts you at risk during the surgery and increases your chances of developing other medical problems that could cause you to go into kidney failure yourself, particularly hypertension. It is to protect you. They practice this in the states as well. My dad never made it past the initial questionnaire because of his weight. Unfortunately he didn't change and two years later he got type 2 diabetes.  He would be in really big trouble now if they had taken his kidney.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 06:25:23 AM by Ninanna » Logged

Spring 2006 - Diagnosed with IgA nephropathy
June 2013 - Listed on transplant list
Feb 4th 2014 - Kidney and bone marrow tx (both from my mother) as part of a clinical trial at Hopkins
slicksilver

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 09:39:55 PM »

Hi. Thanks for your reply. Do you know what is the recommend weight range or bmi for the donor?
Ninanna

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 08:45:55 AM »

Just whatever the weight range is for a normal BMI for someone of your height. My mom was towards the high end of the normal range and they told her not to gain anymore weight.

Spring 2006 - Diagnosed with IgA nephropathy
June 2013 - Listed on transplant list
Feb 4th 2014 - Kidney and bone marrow tx (both from my mother) as part of a clinical trial at Hopkins
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 03:16:28 PM »

I tend to agree that extra weight creates extra work for surgeons, and they don't like this. In fact, I've seen surgeons admit this. There is very little scientific data on what extra risks a donor with a high BMI might face as doctors have to be so careful with who they allow to donate. If I remember correctly, donors with higher BMIs tended to require a switch to open surgery more than lower BMI donors. The studies didn't have the sample numbers required to say anything definitive. I don't believe that weight causes most of these conditions that people claim, I think there is strong evidence that it's the other way round, especially with diabetes: weight is the symptom, not the cause. More and more doctors seem to be coming round to this conclusion.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
frankswife

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 04:25:12 PM »

My sister in law was turned down as a donor for my husband. She's not obese. They told her to lose 25# and then talk to them.

"If we all abandon our posts, who then will stand?" St. Augustine
slicksilver

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 06:20:34 AM »

Thank you all for your replies!
lainiepop

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 06:57:21 AM »

I agree with Cariad about the surgeons. Both myself and my dad are on the lower end of normal weight and we were told we were the surgeons' dream. With less weight recovery is easier too and all my scars are very neat x

1982 - born with one imperfect kidney and no bladder, parents told i would not survive
1984 - urostomy op
1990 - bladder built out of colon
2007 - birth of son, gfr fall from 3O to 26
July2011 - birth of prem daughter, gfr 17%
August2011 - gfr drop to 10%
29th May2012 - RECEIVED KIDNEY 4/6 match from my wonderful dad !
dublin

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 12:09:59 PM »

Hi. Thanks for your reply. Do you know what is the recommend weight range or bmi for the donor?
HI OVER HERE IN iRELAND FOR MALES ITS 90 KILOS WEIGHT THAT YOU MUST GET TO , I HAVE ASKED OTHER PEOPLE - MALE IN MY CLINIC 6 FEET AND OVER THEY SAY THE SAME IS FOR THEM I AM 5FOOT 5 INCHES GOOD LUCK
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2014, 04:54:09 AM »

I had to prove that I was in the process of losing weight when I first started being tested to be a living donor.  They were able to then do the testing in dribs and drabs and that gave them the opportunity to be sure I was still losing weight.  The goalposts were changed ... 'You need to be at this BMI' and when I got there, it became, 'Now you need to be at this BMI'.  Grrr ... But I got there and was able to donate.  I wouldn't have wanted to donate when I was bigger.

As a recipient my Blokey had to lose weight too; he's about 6' and had to get down to about 100kg before they would operate.

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2014, 04:35:12 PM »

Bigger operative risk; that is the main reason.

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2014, 01:55:34 PM »

Bigger operative risk; that is the main reason.
I don't believe they have proven this is this case. There is so little data out there about higher BMI donors - the last peer-reviewed journal article I read had, if I remember correctly, n=3. Absolutely nothing can be asserted at this level of participation. There is no clear path forward, because how can you prove the relative safety of a procedure if you won't let enough participants through the screening process to prove it? Rigid adherence to BMI charts has led to some ludicrous situations, like the professional athlete who was turned down to donate bone marrow because he fell into the obese column on the BMI charts.
I wouldn't have wanted to donate when I was bigger.
That's understandable, but those that do want to donate at a higher weight and are deemed otherwise healthy should be given that option. I remember the case of the woman in the UK who was told that her husband would not live much longer on dialysis, and she was an excellent match for him, but they wouldn't let her donate until she lost a certain amount of weight. Don't know how this was resolved, but I think it's unconscionable for doctors to put potential donors in that situation. This is all a result of doctors' insistence that there is a certain weight out there that on its own qualifies a person to be labeled unhealthy. As fat activists have been saying saying since the start of the movement "you cannot judge a person's health by their size".

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2014, 12:48:08 PM »

I wouldn't have wanted to donate when I was bigger.
That's understandable, but those that do want to donate at a higher weight and are deemed otherwise healthy should be given that option..

Absolutely true, but when I say 'bigger' I mean nearly twice the size I am now.  It would have been highly uncomfortable and *I* would have found the experience humiliating.  As it was, I'd been wanting to lose weight for a long time (I'm a comfort eater and being an anxiously worrying soul I do [still] do a lot of eating!) and so it killed two birds with one stone. And I can now shop in 'normal' clothes shops, which is an added bonus.

;D

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »