I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 03:37:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Kidney failure on "Without a Trace"
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kidney failure on "Without a Trace"  (Read 3972 times)
BigSteve

« on: March 21, 2007, 07:20:34 AM »

If anyone else watched "Without a Trace" Sunday night they saw writers who should
consult someone who know anything about kidney failure. The character in the show
was experiencing "kidney failure". He says " they are giving me antibiotics and I am on
dialysis once a week. The doctors say I have six month to a year to live." Just what we need,
more misinformation going out to the public.

"I yam what I yam what I yam." Popeye's immortal words.
"Getting and spending we lay waste our powers"
If it's too big to fail, it's too big to exist.
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 07:24:11 AM »

Could it be that this "misinformation" is to encourage kidney donations?     :-\

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
George Jung

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 10:30:54 AM »

I don't think people are really tuned in to receive accurate information from an entertainment show.  If I had seen that episode, pre-diagnosis, I wouldn't have thought twice about what I had heard.  I probably wouldn't have even retained that information the next day.  It is simply entertainment.  I am much more tuned in now, as you seem to be also, to pick up on such things.  I recently noticed a kidney joke in a move I have in my collection that I have watched many times.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 11:39:06 AM »

I have noticed there have been more and more "jokes" out there about someone either "needing" a kidney or willing to "offer" a kidney, and these are on talk shows and sitcoms.  I dont know if it is a good thing or a bad thing, but i do know one thing, I HATE DIALYSIS  :-\

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 12:06:21 PM »

I hate misinformation being given to the public about dialysis even more.  It is hard enough being a dialysis patient without Hollywood making it look easy to do.  And making it look like antibiotics will cure everything. A letter needs to be written to the idiot producers and tell them what dialysis is like. GRRRRRRRR!  I have my big stick out if you need it!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
meadowlandsnj

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 04:59:15 PM »

I used to have a list of every TV and movie that had dialysis related material in it.  Anyway, the Simpsons had an episode where Homer donated a kidney to his father.

Donna

Facebook: DonnaMarieMenard
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 10:02:39 PM »

Or even on South Park, SOUTH PARK mind you, i believe it was Cartman who gave Kenny a kidney, (against his will)  go figure  ???

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
AlasdairUK

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 02:26:14 AM »

All awareness is good as I have told people that I'm on dialysis and they ask what it is. I don't think many people take entertainment episodes as accurate information. The more coverage the better as it gets it into peoples minds.

94 - PD for 3 months
94 - HD Permcath for 3 months
95 - RLD Transplant 10 years
2005 - HD Permcath 6 months
2006 - 2008 HDF Fistula
2008 - 2nd Transplant
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 02:35:07 AM »

i stopped watching er because of a storyline they did about a baby born 3 months premature. it was about not doing anything to attempt to save the baby's life because he was born too early for there to be anything to be done. BULL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tell that to my 7 year old grandson. due december 1999 born in september. I HATE MISSINFORMATION. even though it's entertainment i think writers and producers have an obligation to get it right

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 02:39:00 AM »

Hmm, sounds like someone needs to send a link to this forum.

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 03:12:13 AM »

I used to have a list of every TV and movie that had dialysis related material in it.  Anyway, the Simpsons had an episode where Homer donated a kidney to his father.

Donna

I have always hated the Simpsons. My son use to sneak behind my back to watch it. The day I finally got the courage to tell my kids the problems with my kidneys was an eye opener for me. The power of t.v. My husband and I sat the kids (aged 8 & 11) down to tell them mum had to start dialysis and she needed a kidney transplant. It was a shock at the start... mums sick.... are you going to die..... then my son said " Its no big deal Mum Homer gave one to Granpa on the Simpsons". He is now allowed to watch the Simpsons!     :P

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
kimcanada
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 03:29:05 AM »

I think that misinformation sucks,  I know that when I started down this road of kidney failure I was scared to death about what I had "Heard" its like advertising, if you hear it enough it must be true.

Kim

http://www.kimhoben.com
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2007, 07:43:03 AM »

Most information you get about any type of illness out there, isn't always going to be accurate on tv shows... the purpose of a tv show is for entertainment, and however they need to achieve that, and change things to make it more entertaining, then so be it... if people count on tv shows that are for entertainment purposes for reliable information, then there is a problem.

Now, if we were talking about the News or a TV show that is for Informational purposes, I can understand getting it right...  :twocents;

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
carolyn77531

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2007, 07:50:14 AM »

most people do not understand kidney failure or dialysis...i had to quit my job....becouse they did not understand what i had to do for my daughter

YOU are stronger than you realize.
Wiser than you know.
What was once your life is now your legend.........
luckaholic

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2007, 05:08:50 AM »

There was an article in last weeks New Idea magazine about one of the dancing with the stars participants is donating money to the kidney foundation as his father is on dialysis. The mag totally played up on it and in a way exaggerated everything and the title was "with kidney failure threatening his fathers life". His father is infact on home hemo and looks like he is quite well. I am however happy that this guy is donating money to the AKF. I wrote them a nice thankyou letter.
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2007, 07:05:13 AM »

shows like er, without a trace etc hire consultants, people in whatever business that are supposed to be there to make sure the show gets it right. mostly to avoid anyone getting sued because the show does something stupid. they still do stupid. a little more research and they would have gotten it right, but then again they may have known it was wrong and did it anyway because it made a good story line. unfortunately there are a lot of people out there who take these types of shows as gospel.

keep me away from the soapbox, you don't want me there it isn't a pretty sight.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2007, 12:05:40 PM »

I don't know if you saw the "Curb Your Enthusiasm" episodes surrounding a kidney transplant.
It was humorous, in parts, but killing the donor at the end was depressing!

Here's a synopsis:

Jeff gives Larry the bad news about Richard: he needs a kidney transplant. Because the comic's cousin refuses to give up any of his organs while he's still alive, Richard is hoping that a close friend will come through. Larry's response is, "I have to choose healthier friends." Eventually he gets into a conflict with Jeff about which of them should offer to give Richard a kidney. Larry David pretends to be an Orthodox Jew in an attempt to convince the director of the Kidney Consortium to give his friend a transplant, just so he can avoid donating the kidney himself. After some coaxing from his wife Cheryl, Larry finally does take the test to see if his kidney is a match for Richard's, but he doesn't do it alone. Jeff tags along, and after the test results come back they find that they're both compatible. They fight over the honor of who will be able to donate part of themselves to help, and possibly save the life of their friend. HA! Just kidding! They play a game of eeny meeny miney mo. Larry thought he had the pattern worked out, and it did play the way he thought, but he's not the winner, he's the loser.

Larry asked Richard if there was anyone else who could donate a kidney, a family member, anyone. Larry has a moment of clarity and leaves immediately to go to the aid of his friend Richard. Two months pass, and while Richard Lewis is sitting in paradise, sipping on a mixed drink with a beautiful woman, Larry is dying. After some final words to his friends and family, Larry passes away. In heaven, he meets his two guardian angels. He immediately starts hounding them with questions, and while they're able to answer them all for the most part, they quickly realize they've got their hands full. His guides have a quick pow-wow and decide to send Larry back. Even paradise can't bear him.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
George Jung

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2007, 12:54:38 AM »

If you want to watch some informative television you should try:
(some of my faves)
Science Channel
The Learning Channel
Discovery Channel
Nat'l Geographic Channel

And similar broadcasts....
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2007, 12:58:18 AM »

I watch information TV more than I watch network TV. In fact we bought Dish network so we could have more information channels than network TV channels. Network TV gives me mostly the heebie jeebies!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 10:19:10 AM by kitkatz » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2007, 05:38:37 AM »

If you want to watch some informative television you should try:
(some of my faves)
Science Channel
The Learning Channel
Discovery Channel
Nat'l Geographic Channel

And similar broadcasts....

And don't forget the Public Broadcasting Service--PBS.     ;)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
George Jung

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2007, 10:34:53 AM »

Oh yea....AND PBS (public broadcasting service).  Sorry bout that Zach. ;)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »