I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 09:33:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  Injectable medications with home Hemo
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Injectable medications with home Hemo  (Read 3632 times)
Lastname_Redacted

« on: June 03, 2014, 11:14:31 AM »

I'm new here, and my doctor has recommended that I use the nxstage for home Hemo when I restart dialysis. If you use a machine like the nxstage, how do you take injectable meds like iron or aranesp? Are there ports in the tubing or do you have to stick yourself separately?
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 12:26:51 PM »

You do a seperate injection . I give my wife a sub Q injection of EPO weekly. It works BETTER subQ than IV.

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 12:58:51 PM »

EPO is about 1/3 more effective sub-Q than IV (sources vary on the 1/3 figure; some will quote other values).   When I was in clinic, there was a time when I maxed out the EPO dose, so the next step was for my doc to change the orders from "via machine" to "subq".

The FMC clinic I use has a policy that no injectables other than heparin may be self-administered in a home hemo setting except via sub-Q.

The clinic also has a policy that iron IVs must be administered in-clinic.  Even the RN who handles my case is not authorized to give an iron IV in a patient's house.

There is a NxStage line set with a heparin port you can connect a separate heparin pump to, however, these don't seem to be in common use.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 01:02:03 PM by Simon Dog » Logged
cdwbrooklyn

Positive Thoughts equal Positive Energy

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 02:10:35 PM »

Okay, I'm slow today.  What is subQ?

Dailysis patient for since 1999 and still kicking it strong.  I was called for a transplant but could not get it due to damage veins from extremely high blood pressure.  Have it under control now, on NxStage System but will receive dailysis for the rest of my life.  Does life sucks because of this.  ABOLUTELY NOT!  Life is what you make it good, bad, sick, or healthy.  Praise God I'm still functioning as a normal person just have to take extra steps.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 07:43:53 PM »

Okay, I'm slow today.  What is subQ?
Subcutaneous injection, as in injected into the subcutaneous tissue.  Other options are intra muscular (I don't think this is an option for EPO); IV (intravenous) push and IV drip.
Speedy1wrc

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 08:18:58 PM »

Administration of iron can have adverse side effects, thus the stricter policy.
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 10:12:59 AM »

When I was using NxStage for home hemo in 2012/2013, I gave myself weekly EPO injections subcutaneously (aka, "grab the flab and jab").  I still had to get iron infusions on occasion at the center when I went in for my monthly clinic visits.  I would not want to do iron infusions myself, as others said, too much risk.

I'm new here, and my doctor has recommended that I use the nxstage for home Hemo when I restart dialysis. If you use a machine like the nxstage, how do you take injectable meds like iron or aranesp? Are there ports in the tubing or do you have to stick yourself separately?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »