I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 11:14:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Another View on Cannulation Technique
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Another View on Cannulation Technique  (Read 1764 times)
obsidianom
Elite Member

« on: June 01, 2014, 06:08:59 AM »

J Vasc Access. 2014 May 1;15 Suppl 7:85-90. doi: 10.5301/jva.5000258. Epub 2014 Apr 25.

Which cannulation technique for which patient.

Gallieni M1, Brenna I, Brunini F, Mezzina N, Pasho S, Fornasieri A.

Author information

Abstract

Cannulation of arteriovenous (AV) access is a crucial part of vascular access management in hemodialysis patients. It can significantly affect survival of the AV access, and consequently, it probably influences patient survival. The best type of cannulation technique, rotating site versus constant site (or buttonhole), is currently debated, but the increase in infectious complications observed with the buttonhole technique suggests a prudent use of this technique, restricting it to specific patients. Even in cases with a specific indication, the balance between advantages of the constant site needling and the potentially severe consequences of access related systemic infection should be considered. Educational efforts in improving cannulation skills of dialysis staff are important for improving outcomes, as the proper use of the rotating site technique might still be the best approach to cannulation.

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
Speedy1wrc

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 07:59:52 AM »

In center with a catheter I was getting infections probably once a month. With the fistula less frequently, but they happened. At home with buttonholes I have not had an infection....ever.

I learned through proper training, good aseptic techniques and procedures. I also learned all the improper techniques the previous centers staff were using. I am now at a different center. I have also visited a number of different centers while traveling and I think the primary cause of infection is procedure rather than the type of cannulation.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »