I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:26:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  Hello, introduction
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hello, introduction  (Read 5871 times)
dialysisuser82

« on: May 25, 2014, 09:18:23 PM »

Hi everyone. I just found this website and thought it is interesting. 
I have been on dialysis continuously for 32 years.  I do not hate dialysis since it is my life line. Yes it is hard not be able to eat or drink freely but my thinking is  that I must face whatever situation head on, I will not back off.  I like to trouble shoot complex problems and resolve them with minimum medication.
Don't like to be on drug- my body is uber-sensitive.

I would like to connect with other patient - or to help each other.
-----------
In-center hemodialysis since 1982--32 YEARS on April, 2014
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No interest in transplant.

3 hours   3x/wk
800 dialysate flow (Qd)    400 blood pump (Qb)
Gambro- Polyflux Revaclear (1.4m2)
Arteriovenous Fistula  32 years
Parathyroidectomy 2002
Diagnosis: Glomerulnephristis- High Blood Pressure 1982
----------------
Bambino_Bear

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 12:36:41 AM »

:welcomesign;

I am a caregiver to my wonderful husband,  He is 4p and started PD October 2013. We have several living donors waiting to be tested for a transplant. Dialysis is a bridge to get us where we need to go. 
He had a transplant in November 2019.
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 03:48:55 AM »

Hello, and  :welcomesign; to IHD....

Nice to have you... Hope you'll visit frequently, and post lots....

Darth, Moderator...

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 04:47:28 AM »

Hello dialysisuser82, and  :welcomesign; ...

I can imagine you'll be a valuable asset to the forums with all those years of experience behind you!  Post often!

;D

Poppylicious, Moderator

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
Ninanna

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 04:59:39 AM »

Welcome to the site!  It's always great to have people with a wealth of knowledge such as yourself.

Spring 2006 - Diagnosed with IgA nephropathy
June 2013 - Listed on transplant list
Feb 4th 2014 - Kidney and bone marrow tx (both from my mother) as part of a clinical trial at Hopkins
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 06:42:25 AM »

It's great to have you here!!
Looks like you and I have hemodialysis longevity in common.
 :beer1;
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 06:43:38 AM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2014, 02:21:42 PM »

Hello dialysisuser82 and welcome to IHD.

It is interesting that you suffer from glomerulonephritis and hypertension and that you are ueber-sensitive to medication.
I also suffer from glomerulonephritis, hypertension, allergies and ueber-sensitivity to all sorts of medicines...
Like yourself, I try very hard to trouble shoot and try to get by with an absolute minimum of medication...
Mind you, that is sometimes very difficult ...
Did your doctors connect the ueber-sensitivity to your glomerulonephritis or do they think it is connected to dialysis?

I am very impressed that you are doing so well on dialysis for over 32 years! That gives me (still pre-dialysis, but only just...) lots of hope.

Best wishes and good luck from Kristina.

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
dialysisuser82

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 07:45:51 AM »

Hello Kristina,

In my case, long term dialysis do not respond to standard medications.
Now I have extremely low BP.  Nine years ago my BP flipped to extreme low, I mean during dialysis It would be 65/35. I can read my body well and know how to handle the situation.
I learn by trials and errors how to fix my problems. I do collect my lab. works in a database and study them.
This is my life and I take it seriously, it is my problem and no one else. I learn to discipline with food and drink.

-------------
“There are no rules here -- we're trying to accomplish something.”
― Thomas Edison-

“Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless.”
― Thomas Edison
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 01:52:33 PM »

:welcomesign;

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 04:28:21 AM »

Hello Kristina,

In my case, long term dialysis do not respond to standard medications.
Now I have extremely low BP.  Nine years ago my BP flipped to extreme low, I mean during dialysis It would be 65/35. I can read my body well and know how to handle the situation.
I learn by trials and errors how to fix my problems. I do collect my lab. works in a database and study them.
This is my life and I take it seriously, it is my problem and no one else. I learn to discipline with food and drink.

-------------
“There are no rules here -- we're trying to accomplish something.”
― Thomas Edison-

“Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless.”
― Thomas Edison

Thank you dialysisuser.
I also learn by trials and errors to fix my medical problems as well as possible...
I like your Thomas Edison quote saying that "there are no rules- we are trying to accomplish something".
How very true. ..Perhaps our instinct plays also a great part in our survival and accomplishments...
Best wishes from Kristina.

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
dialysisuser82

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 05:38:35 PM »

I would like to share my personal view regarding being on dialysis for 32 years:  it is a lifeline.  It takes some self control but hey I am still here and doing fine.  I have few issues due to long term kidney failure which are well expected, but only minimal.

I think positive attitude is a great help and in my case faith plays a major role.

keep looking up :shy;
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2014, 02:58:31 AM »

Hi dialysisuser I'm 'only' on D since '83, and had a break for 12 yrs with dad's kidney, so I'm very impressed with anyone doing 'well' on D longer than me

:cuddle;

I think luck, keeping your braincells in gear by taking care of your own care if poss, and more luck, and my hubby, and this site are keeping me at the right site of this planet. And however grateful I am of the existence of D, yes it keeps me alive etc. I hate it, a lot.

Take care, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
dialysisuser82

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 05:48:21 AM »

Hi dialysisuser I'm 'only' on D since '83, and had a break for 12 yrs with dad's kidney, so I'm very impressed with anyone doing 'well' on D longer than me

:cuddle;

I think luck, keeping your braincells in gear by taking care of your own care if poss, and more luck, and my hubby, and this site are keeping me at the right site of this planet. And however grateful I am of the existence of D, yes it keeps me alive etc. I hate it, a lot.

Take care, Cas

Hey Cas,

Wow, you've been through so much!  My heart goes out to you.

My sister said "if it does not kill you it only makes you stronger".

Being on straight dialysis for over 32 yrs. is simply unbelievable.  And time flew by, events captured here and there as if the flash of moment in time... Funny how I would not know living any other way

but being on dialysis.

Thank you for sharing your thought,

" If you had to choose three words to distill the essence of Britain, America and Canada, the words would be island, frontier, and survival."    ~ Margaret Atwood

iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2014, 05:56:09 AM »

-----------
In-center hemodialysis since 1982--32 YEARS on April, 2014
Arteriovenous Fistula  32 years
Welcome, did your fistula last 32 years or if not how many new fistulas have you had?  Since you are in center does that mean the tech's cannulate you?

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2014, 11:58:59 PM »

For lack of better words, you long-termers give me hope and some inner-strength. My husband and I are only in our first year of grieving the lifestyle we once had before he needed dialysis. Nearly every aspect of our life has been affected but we're starting to accept that we still have a life to live, just a little differently from the one we had. It helps to read that there are long-termers who have not only weathered the seas but actually enjoying fairly normal lives. I'm still working on the here and now, hoping to work up to being brave enough to think and dream about the future again. Reading your stories and commentary to each other is kind of like getting a glimpse of the future (hopefully near future) of what I might be able to do and how I'll be coping at some point. Thanks for sharing and being so positive.

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
dialysisuser82

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2014, 03:03:15 PM »

Hey iolaire,

My fistula is intact, meaning the original since 1982, no modification.

I have been doing cannulation for the past 17 years.  I cultivate my arm up down evenly so there are options in case of infiltration.

One important thing is that I use the Heparin on the Arterial line and Saline on the Venous line, which is in contrary to what the staffs are taught.  They are quite perplex at my method.

Hope this help,

-“Clouds may come, but clouds must go, and they all have a silver lining.
                    For behind each cloud you know, the sun, or moon, is shining.”

Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2014, 11:04:16 AM »

Hi there Dialysisuser, and welcome!

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2014, 01:46:47 AM »

You have given me hope.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
chook

Born to be a Granma!

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2014, 10:09:28 PM »

It has been great to read about your long term dialysis history. Wow! Well done. I still cringe at my very short stint of HD, all of eight weeks, and you do give everyone hope that HD is do-able and sustainable, even for chickens (chooks! ha,ha!) like me. :welcomesign;

Diagnosed PKD 1967, age 8
Commenced PD June 2010
Commenced APD July 2010
Transplant March 2011 - so lucky!
"To strive, to seek, to find...and not to yield!"
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »