I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 12:42:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  Which sayings from your older relatives do you try to live by???...
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which sayings from your older relatives do you try to live by???...  (Read 13026 times)
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2017, 11:52:39 AM »

"Your check is in the mail"

"It's only a cold sore"

"No that outfit does not make your butt look fat".
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2017, 04:58:50 PM »

It's not my sack of rocks.

Meaning it is none of my business..... or not my problem...

PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2017, 08:31:19 PM »

"When the tide goes out you'll see whose been skinny-dipping" meaning, don't lie or cheat because eventually you'll be caught.

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2017, 11:10:40 AM »

"When the tide goes out you'll see whose been skinny-dipping" meaning, don't lie or cheat because eventually you'll be caught.

Love it!!   :thumbup;

kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2017, 01:29:08 PM »

When I grew up I was told that "all that glitters so brightly is not necessarily made of gold" meaning, that I should always be on my guard and examine things very closely ...
and when I came to London I was also reminded of the fact that even the Queen has to walk to "the quiet place" all on her own, meaning that we are all human beings, however "high up" our position might appear...
That helped me quite a lot when I finally met her Majesty...
and ... I was also informed that some people who really "made it very big" and appear "colossal", financially speaking, their riches were often involved with certain deals (drugs etc) and they only made it big, because they had no scruples to destroy lives ... and ... how important it is to really try and look behind "things"...
... These thoughts and observations have accompanied me all my life and originate from friends, teachers and professors at University...

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2017, 02:12:31 PM »

The average person thinks he isn’t...

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2017, 02:24:54 PM »

"Without music life would be a mistake..."

Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche (15 October 1844 – 25 August 1900) philosopher, cultural critic, poet, philologist
and Latin and Greek scholar, who was also an excellent pianist.

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2017, 03:47:08 AM »

From my Grandma:

Talk nice or don't talk at all.

You always catch more flies with sugar.

PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2017, 09:17:55 PM »

"I may have been born at night but I wasn't born LAST NIGHT!"  Has the same meaning as "Does it LOOK LIKE I have stupid written on my face!?" Don't mess with me or I'll pull your lower lip up over your head! !

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2017, 02:55:25 PM »

My father has been known to say, "if you don't smarten up, I'll put my boot so far up your butt that your breath will smell like feet."

though, he didn't say "butt."  He used another four letter word equivalent

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2017, 03:00:42 PM »

My father has always had a couple of colorful ones, I guess.. I'm not sure I can repeat them here, but I"ll try.. *L*

He'd say someone was so dumb they couldn't pour water* out of a boot if they instructions were written on the heel.

or if someone was unlucky, he'd say they couldn't find water if they fell out of a boat... or if they fell into a bucket of boobs* he'd come out sucking his thumb

*these words are watered down substitutes for what he'd actually say.. *L*

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2017, 04:55:09 PM »

Do I look like I just fell off the turnip truck?

Last one up to the house is a skinamaroo!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2017, 03:07:05 AM »

My father has always had a couple of colorful ones, I guess.. I'm not sure I can repeat them here, but I"ll try.. *L*

He'd say someone was so dumb they couldn't pour water* out of a boot if the instructions were written on the heel.

Dear Riki, please convey my sincere thanks to your father, I really love this one, it is so witty and also makes me giggle !!!

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2017, 05:01:35 PM »

He could not find his way out of a paper bag with a detailed map and a flashlight.
They could not find their butt with both hands.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2017, 05:47:15 PM »

He could not find his way out of a paper bag with a detailed map and a flashlight.

This reminds me of a story.  My dad and a friend of Bro's had a friendly pick on each other, always throwing insults at each other.  A couple of things: we used to keep paper bags under the counter in the kitchen to shake grease off of anything we cooked in our deep fryer.  Also, this particular year, Dad took the summer off work, and so part of his routine in the evening was to do the dishes.  One evening, Bro and this friend came in the back door while Dad was at the sink.  Friend was doing the insult thing with Dad, and they were laughing.  He said to Dad, "you couldn't fight your way out of a wet paper bag."  We were all kind of standing around and talking.  Suddenly, Dad puts a wet paper bag over Friend's head and says, "there.  Fight your way out of that."  This shocked Friend so much that he sucked in a big breath of air, and doing so, sucked the bag to his face, and it kinda stuck.  He spent most of the next 5 minutes or so peeling the bag off his face.  We had all been talking and laughing so much, that we didn't notice Dad, who was smiling and laughing along, take one of the larger paper bags out from under the cupboard and put it in the sink, where he was doing dishes.  It sounds like a mean trick, but it was funny.  We all still laugh about it.  Even Friend, who is more careful about what he says to my father. *L*

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »