I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:00:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  Greetings from the UK
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Greetings from the UK  (Read 4449 times)
xblue1982

« on: May 08, 2014, 07:28:56 AM »

Greetings everyone!

My name is Pete, I'm 31 and from Stoke on Trent, in the UK and I've been receiving in-centre OHDF (On-line Haemodiafiltration) for 9 months now. My treatments are 3x weekly for 4.5 hrs per treatment. I've been lurking here on and off for the last year or so, and, I thought it about time I got myself signed up, so here I am!

I was first diagnosed with CKD when I was 27, a few days after my birthday. I had felt something wasn't “quite right” for the previous year or so but didn't really think anything of it, well, that and male pride about going to the doc got in the way. A lesson I have thankfully learned now! The doctor after asking the routine diagnostic questions said it was probably just a stomach ulcer but was going to do further tests to rule out anything more serious. I was urgently admitted to hospital, pushed from pillar to post while they figured out where to put me, I ended up on the gastric ward (which further bolstered the notion in my head that it was an ulcer we were dealing with), so you can imagine the shock when the nephrologist came to talk to me about my kidney failure. It turns out I had had malignant hypertension for who knows how long and it had obliterated most of my kidneys. Over the next couple of years I managed to get my GFR back up to about 32 and after a BAD experience living under a dodgy landlord (I'll discuss THAT nightmare another time!) it knocked all my progress out from under me and I descended back to CKD stage 5 again.

Fast forward to April 2013, I started to feel lousy and was referred to start Haemodialysis, I had my first session on the 12th April to an amusing result, My neph came in halfway through and told me I had a reprieve from HD as over course of a week my GFR has doubled mysteriously, needless to say, I took the offer to stop immediately and go home to “celebrate” my bit of good news. Haha

Fast forward again September 2013, Just before my birthday, I got that old feeling again, and being determined not to spend my birthday hooked-up I went into “strict mode” with myself to try and stave off deterioration as long as possible (probably wasn't my greatest of ideas but it paid off on that occasion), as soon as my birthday had passed I rang my neph and told her I thought it was time to start HD again, and the precautionary blood tests she ordered confirmed as much.

As previously mentioned I dialyse in-centre, but I am currently involved in “shared care”, where I am taking over the process of dialysing myself from the nurses with a long term goal of self care and home-haemo. Also, by learning to self dialyse I personally feel I have more control over my treatment by having direct involvement in it.

Well, that's enough for now. If you have any questions ask away! :)

Pete 
Ninanna

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 08:27:17 AM »

Welcome Pete!  Thanks for sharing your story and it's good to have you here. :)

Spring 2006 - Diagnosed with IgA nephropathy
June 2013 - Listed on transplant list
Feb 4th 2014 - Kidney and bone marrow tx (both from my mother) as part of a clinical trial at Hopkins
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 09:42:28 AM »

On-line HDF is considered one of the better forms of renal replacement therapies.
Unfortunately, it's not offered here across the pond.

Good to have you with us at IHD!
 :beer1;
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 09:44:18 AM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
lainiepop

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 01:04:28 PM »

Hi Pete! Im in the uk too, in Bournemouth! Good on u for Wanting to dialyse at home, this is quite rare in the UK isn't it?

1982 - born with one imperfect kidney and no bladder, parents told i would not survive
1984 - urostomy op
1990 - bladder built out of colon
2007 - birth of son, gfr fall from 3O to 26
July2011 - birth of prem daughter, gfr 17%
August2011 - gfr drop to 10%
29th May2012 - RECEIVED KIDNEY 4/6 match from my wonderful dad !
JW77

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 02:24:58 AM »

Welcome

I'm down in London.. I don't actually mind dialysis, WHEN things are going well.  Its the complications and idiots I have to deal with that gets on my nerves!

Creator of London Kidney Social: https://www.facebook.com/groups/LondonKidneySocial/

Medical stuff, includes 3 kidneys, cancer, meningitis, 1 heart attack and its long and not that interesting! Maybe one day I'll write a book.! `

I have an eclectic taste in music, I fly kites, I read, write, tog, blog and have a bit of a passion for multicellular eukaryotes, and kites.

Founder of Kites4Kidneys - Start making your kites for WKD 2015..
https://www.facebook.com/kites4kidneys
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 02:30:31 AM »

Hello xblue...

Nice to have you on board the good ship IHD...

Visit and post often...

Darth, Moderator....

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
xblue1982

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 07:32:50 AM »

Thanks everyone for the welcome!  :)

I don't actually mind dialysis, WHEN things are going well.  Its the complications and idiots I have to deal with that gets on my nerves!

I don't mind dialysis that much either, I'm one of the few on our unit that ALWAYS seems to be able to muster a smile and a joke. I don't really seem to really suffer many complications, the occasional bout of hypotension and cramping, but yeah, dealing with some of the idiots can be quite a trying experience. I get particularly irked by those who hear the word "dialysis" and assume I'm living a death sentence. *sigh* So I do my best to enlighten them if they are willing to listen.

Good on u for Wanting to dialyse at home, this is quite rare in the UK isn't it?

It is indeed quite rare from what I have seen, I believe a lot might be down to lack of adequate information, I mean, my unit has mentioned that Home Haemo is available, in fact with me being an "ideal candidate" for it, I am being 'pressurised' into doing it, but the unit has been lacking in details being readily available for further consideration of the option, most importantly "what are the financial implications?", with our unit lacking a social worker, that information is simply unavailable at present. My unit does dialyse a LOT of elderly people too and they seem lacking the confidence required to home dialyse and so the subject isn't really approached with them. Which is quite understandable.
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 08:40:29 AM »

Hello Pete, and  :welcomesign; to ihd.com from another England-er (eastern side). 

... but didn't really think anything of it, well, that and male pride about going to the doc got in the way. A lesson I have thankfully learned now!

Haha, my Blokey *still* hasn't learnt that lesson ...

Drop in often!

Poppylicious, Moderator

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
JW77

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 02:53:09 PM »

Financial implications.

Assuming your in the UK, you will get reciprocal costs towards leccy and water.
If you own your own home your council tax may go down a band if you have a separate room.

You'll spend less money traveling too and from hospital and technically less admissions from infection.

Dialysis at home is not rare in the UK, in fact the gov wants about 15 percent of dialysis patients to be home heamo if they can. PD can be done easily unsupervised, heamo not such a good idea.

The hospital pays for the plumbing, installation, machine maintenance and stock delivery.

This is me with my home setup.. Been on home heamo for about 9 years now..

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.116067695150.201672.778645150&type=1&l=02a3b3a45b

Disadvantages,  you can feel isolated, it affects the family to some degree, but you should fit dialysis at home around living, not the other way round.

You have to manage yourself, take stock  and delivery.  In my unit the home heamo nurse comes out for monthly bloods!  And sorts out any issues.

Hope thats a useful reply:)

J

Thanks everyone for the welcome!  :)

I don't actually mind dialysis, WHEN things are going well.  Its the complications and idiots I have to deal with that gets on my nerves!

I don't mind dialysis that much either, I'm one of the few on our unit that ALWAYS seems to be able to muster a smile and a joke. I don't really seem to really suffer many complications, the occasional bout of hypotension and cramping, but yeah, dealing with some of the idiots can be quite a trying experience. I get particularly irked by those who hear the word "dialysis" and assume I'm living a death sentence. *sigh* So I do my best to enlighten them if they are willing to listen.

Good on u for Wanting to dialyse at home, this is quite rare in the UK isn't it?

It is indeed quite rare from what I have seen, I believe a lot might be down to lack of adequate information, I mean, my unit has mentioned that Home Haemo is available, in fact with me being an "ideal candidate" for it, I am being 'pressurised' into doing it, but the unit has been lacking in details being readily available for further consideration of the option, most importantly "what are the financial implications?", with our unit lacking a social worker, that information is simply unavailable at present. My unit does dialyse a LOT of elderly people too and they seem lacking the confidence required to home dialyse and so the subject isn't really approached with them. Which is quite understandable.

Creator of London Kidney Social: https://www.facebook.com/groups/LondonKidneySocial/

Medical stuff, includes 3 kidneys, cancer, meningitis, 1 heart attack and its long and not that interesting! Maybe one day I'll write a book.! `

I have an eclectic taste in music, I fly kites, I read, write, tog, blog and have a bit of a passion for multicellular eukaryotes, and kites.

Founder of Kites4Kidneys - Start making your kites for WKD 2015..
https://www.facebook.com/kites4kidneys
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »