I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 09:34:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  I'm scared
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I'm scared  (Read 3387 times)
pagandialysis

« on: May 03, 2014, 12:03:15 PM »

If the surgeon says yes then I will be getting a kidney transplant on July 18th.

I know I should be happy but I don't know how to live without being on dialysis. I don't mean emotionally or even the diet or lifestyle. For the last three years I have been on SSI, I go to dialysis and they give me money. The highest education I have is High School because I jerked around in college and was told I wasn't allowed to finish. So here I am with hardly any real work history, no college degree, some training in Software Development and I.T. Security that would probably be called outdated by a hiring manager, one tech certificate, and no provable experience in those two fields because I was a freelancer for a few years.

I just don't know how I am going to survive. I know I have a year from the transplant date until SSI and Medicare/Medicaid cuts me off. I contacted the local ITT campus to see if I can finish my Software Development Associates as they don't offer the Information Security Systems Bachelors.

I just feel lost.   :'(

Dining on Dialysis - www.diningondialysis.com
-------------------------------------------------------------
Kidney Transplant (December 31, 2014),
Dialysis-Hemo (Started May 17, 2011. Ended December 29, 2014),
AV Fistula #2 (This one is a Basilic Transposition),
CKD (IgA Nephropathy) Stage 5,
Hypertension (Under Control)
Ninanna

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 12:25:24 PM »

I'm so sorry you are feeling so down pagan. But don't feel alone. I think just about everyone feels nervous and anxious about working/insurance after a transplant. I am 3 months post and I am freaking out about going back to work. They have doubled the team I was on, changed processes, and I am missing out on promotions.

I don't think Medicare will kick you off until 3 years post (even if you aren't eligible for Disability anymore) and you are always eligible for Medicaid if you are low income.

But I know that you CAN do it, because dialysis and CKD isn't for wimps, and you have already showed that who is boss!   :grouphug;

Spring 2006 - Diagnosed with IgA nephropathy
June 2013 - Listed on transplant list
Feb 4th 2014 - Kidney and bone marrow tx (both from my mother) as part of a clinical trial at Hopkins
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 01:42:47 PM »

So here I am with hardly any real work history, no college degree, some training in Software Development and I.T. Security that would probably be called outdated by a hiring manager, one tech certificate, and no provable experience in those two fields because I was a freelancer for a few years.

I contacted the local ITT campus to see if I can finish my Software Development Associates as they don't offer the Information Security Systems Bachelors.

The transition from disability to being hire-able sounds stressful.

Do they offer further IT security trainning?  Looking forwards it seems like that should be a clear growth area.  Even smaller regional busnesses have to start thinking seriously about their systems.  Look at the Target case where they think the initial access was via a building hvac company.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 02:19:41 PM »

Social Security has a program called Ticket to Work that you can use with certain agencies to help you find a job. I never tried it but it's worth investigating. Sometimes there are also job search services with your state's unemployment agency. Have you talked to the social worker at your transplant center? She might have better advice. Please don't panic. You need to at least plan some recuperation time after your surgery.
Angiepkd

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 08:30:23 PM »

There should be some resources available to you through SSI.  My younger brother went back to school and got his Associates in Computer Information Systems.  SSI paid for his tuition as well as his books.  The school he went to helped him find a job.  He got a lot of information from his transplant social worker.  I think if you do some research you might have some options.  Hope this helps! Best of luck to you!  I think Medicare will pay for your anti rejection meds for 3 years after transplant, so that is one less thing to worry about.  You can do it!

PKD diagnosis at 17
Cancer May 2011, surgery and no further treatment but placed on 2 year wait for transplant
October 2011 first fistula in left wrist
April 2012 second fistula in upper arm, disconnect of wrist
January 2013, stage 5 ESRD
March 2013 training with NxStage home hemo
April 2013 at home with NxStage
April 2013 fistula revision to reduce flow
May 2013 advised to have double nephrectomy, liver cyst ablation and hernia repair. Awaiting insurance approval to begin transplant testing. Surgery in June.
June 2013 bilateral nephrectomy.
August 2013 finishing testing for transplant, 4 potential donors being tissue typed.
January 2014 husband approved to donate kidney for me
March 4th 2014 received transplant from awesome hubby. Named the new bean FK (fat kidney) lol!  So far we are doing great!
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 07:00:15 PM »

I know what you mean Pagan.  One main reason for me not going on the transplant list.  Where in the hell am I going to get a job making $70K a year?  That is what I was making before I went on disability.  I'm comfortable on SS and disability and my investments.  They just say "your cured" and throw you to the dogs!  I can't risk it.  I did have one transplant but I had not quit work and I was 26 years old.  Now I'm almost 53!  Who would hire me.

July 17 is my birthday!  I'll be thinking of you!

Speedy1wrc

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 08:08:44 PM »

I am in NY and SS is connected with a program called Vesid. Post transplant and only when you are up to it they will provide education and back to work resources including job placement help.

Hopefully where you live has some sort of similar program(s).

And Medicare is 36 months post transplant. With me they didn't reevaluate me till my kidneys failed 6 years later. My ailment list is long. As it turned out when they did my reevaluation is had just gone in and my creatinine had just gone above the threshold, so they just left me on disability.

Personally I will take my chances off disability for the ability to feel good. I've been sick all my life, the 6 years post transplant were the best in a long time. I am so anxious for another opportunity.

Hope you find peace in what ever decision you make.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »