I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:53:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Other Severe Medical Conditions
| | |-+  Is there any caregiver assistance, dad has parkinsons and dimentia
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is there any caregiver assistance, dad has parkinsons and dimentia  (Read 4172 times)
marlinfshr

« on: April 30, 2014, 10:44:03 PM »

I'm trying to find out if there are any programs or assistance for caregivers who can't work because they are taking care of an older parent who can't be left alone for 1 minute.

My 81 year old dad has Parkinson's so he can't walk and is constantly in pain. He also has dementia so he doesn't remember that he can't walk and will fall down if he gets up to use the bathroom--which is a lot. He needs to be watched 24/7.

My 82 year old mom had a stroke a couple of years ago at about the same time my dad went downhill so she can't help any at all.

My 50 year old brother lives with them and has been taking care of him. Of course because my dad needs to be watched at all times my brother can't work. He thought he was going to be able to work some this summer but he and my parents are broke so they can't afford the $16/hr caregiver he used a good bit the past couple of years. He hardly had any income last year because of this and this year he'll have none. As far as my parents financials are concerned they owe more then their house is worth and their mortgage payment swallows up a little more then their SS payment so that comes out of my dad's pension which is needed for all other bills. Combined SS and pension for the 2 of them comes out to a tad above 40,000 as far as I know so I think that gives them too much income for any programs that I know about.

I don't know how my brother would fall into anything because he can't claim them nor vice verse as far as I can tell.

As far as me, well I've tried to help as much as I can but that isn't too much. I am married and have my own mortgage and car payment as well as medical bills from last year when I had a heart attack and kidney failure that put me on dialysis. Because of that I had to start on SSDI disability because I couldn't work last year. This year I am starting to go back to work but need to build up a cushion to carry me through any other times which I won't be able to work---such as my eventual kidney transplant.

I try to cover when I can for him but in reality I have my dialysis to do and since I'm on CAPD I don't like to be carrying when watching my dad because if, in reality when, he falls I risk giving myself a hernia when lifting him back up which will stop me from being able to do CAPD and put me back on in center HD. Of course my brother's back is already injured from lifting him up a bunch.

I just don't know where to turn and really feel bad for my brother because there is not much I can do. This weekend I have to "old man sit" for him so my brother can go to a flee market and try to sell most of his things. Of course I have to turn down a couple days work which has been hard to come by. I know that will only give him a small amount for a short period of time and then it will be back to having nothing.

Any ideas as to what can be done? Any programs for assistance which are available? This is stressing me out and I can only imagine what it is doing to my brother. Basically our family is destroyed and there isn't any way anybody can work.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 12:25:37 PM »

http://www.aoa.gov/aoa_programs/hcltc/caregiver/index.aspx#eligible

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 12:26:29 PM »

http://www.caregiver.com/regionalresources/financial/

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 12:46:08 PM »

Contact your state Dept. of human resources or services . Our state has a program that can pay someone for taking care of a family member who is disabled like you described. Every state is different but I would contact them and find out what is available or where to turn.

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »