I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:57:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  Waking up in a cold sweat a lot lately.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Waking up in a cold sweat a lot lately.  (Read 4835 times)
Uptownlifer

« on: April 15, 2014, 07:57:11 AM »

I've been on PD since around December, and it's working I suppose. Aside from having to wake up and sit straight or stand up during drains, I've not had any difficulties (besides the lack of full nights sleep), but the last month or two I've been noticing I wake up clammy and sweaty, it's seems to be getting worse. This morning I woke up and was soaked- it only seems to be my chest,back and arms. Is this normal? I use a Fresenius machine.
JLM

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 08:57:02 AM »

Talk to your nurses......  I don't sleep well and an on a low dose sleeping pill.

I'm just where God wants me to be, not one step ahead nor one step behind.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 01:16:52 PM »

And maybe take a sample in to check if you have no infection?

Love, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 01:13:24 AM »

Your not suffering night sweats for post menopausal, are you???

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 08:07:27 PM »

Somewhere I've read that night sweats can be one symptom of kidney disease.  I've had night sweats almost as long as I can remember.  They come and go with no reason that I can relate to.  I have found having the bedroom a bit cooler than the rest of the house and not tucking in the bottom of the sheet and or blanket so that I can pull it up uncovering my feet and lower legs helps.

The warmer I get the more leg gets exposed. Many nights I just end up with a small amount of the blanket covering my chest and mid-section, leaving all my legs and half my butt exposed.  Much more than that and my head sweats, any warmer and the sweating progresses to my chest, etc.
Uptownlifer

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 10:35:35 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions, I spoke to my nurse about it and yes, it seems to happen to some more than others so I guess I'm one of the lucky ones haha. Anyway, tonight I have a new issue to monitor: spent all day feeling very fatigued and sleepy- which was unusual since I started PD I've felted excellent- I came home mid after on and laid down thinking maybe my late nights with the PD draining we're catching up. I went to to toilet about 6 pm and didn't think much of it at the time, but my stool was very runny and very dark. It's 1030pm now and I just went again, and this time there was more very runny and dark, tar-like stool. I think I may have some GI bleeding- which might explain the fatigue and weakness all day- I had some of the same back in September when I was first hospitalized and began dialysis, they had to do a camera exam on me from both ends if you know what I mean and found some bleeding in my upper GI tract which required some antibiotics. I just called my nurse, and she suggests going to the ER tonight if I still feel bad, if not she'll talk to my doctor tomorrow and see what he wants me to do. I'm not feeling at all as bad as I was earlier, I'm also hooked up to the cycler for the night so maybe I'll wait to hear from her tomorrow. (Fingers crossed) good night IHD.com
cassandra
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 02:09:42 AM »

How are you Uptownlifer?

1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
2020 start Gambro AK96

Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 06:57:25 AM »

I experienced the night sweats periodically. More often though, I was cold and couldn't get enough covers on me to stay warm. Post transplant that has reversed completely, and I sleep about as hot as my wife. I blame it on getting a female kidney and it giving me hot flashes  :rofl;  I look at it as another chapter in the kidney failure saga. Best of luck!

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
Uptownlifer

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 01:02:21 PM »

@Cassandra, I feel all right today, I'm currently sitting in the ER waiting room. My nephrologist had my nurse call me and tell me to go into the hospital and tell them about what's going on with the possible bloody stools. As a result of my kidney failure I am so anemic, low iron in the blood, so if I am indeed expelling blood through my bowel movements that would probably explain why I was so tired and listless yesterday. Thanks for asking. I'll keep you all posted.
cassandra
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 01:06:39 PM »

:grouphug;

Lots of luck, and love, Cas

1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
2020 start Gambro AK96

Hemodoc
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 01:34:34 PM »

As an internist, night sweats is one of the symptoms that I looked for to provoke me to further investigation. While it may be found in some patients on dialysis, it is also associated with a long list of other medical conditions. I would certainly bring it to your doctors attention to see if they want to simply watch and see if anything develops or to consider further investigation at this point.  Problematically, you cannot really state it is the dialysis until you have excluded other causes, or simply put a diagnosis of exclusion. Hopefully that is all that this represents, but once again, it is a symptom that you should discuss with your physician at your earliest convenience. If the symptoms are isolated with no other symptom or findings, then yes, the nurse would likely be correct. Nevertheless, it is an issue that your doctor should consider. I hope that this is helpful and that the symptoms resolve without further incident.

Peter Laird, MD
www.hemodoc.info
Diagnosed with IgA nephropathy 1998
Incenter Dialysis starting 2-1-2007
Self Care in Center from 4-15-2008 to 6-2-2009
Started  Home Care with NxStage 6-2-2009 (Qb 370, FF 45%, 40L)

All clinical and treatment related issues discussed on this forum are for informational purposes only.  You must always secure your own medical teams approval for all treatment options before applying any discussions on this site to your own circumstances.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »