I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:00:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  Windowa XP operating system, bites the dust this month (April 8, 2014)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Windowa XP operating system, bites the dust this month (April 8, 2014)  (Read 2314 times)
talker

Talkers oil painting

« on: April 04, 2014, 07:34:30 AM »

Windowa XP operating system, bites the dust this month (April  8, 2014)

What is end of support?

]After 12 years, support for Windows XP will end on April 8, 2014. There will be no more security updates or technical support for the Windows XP operating system. It is very important that customers and partners migrate to a modern operating system such as Windows 8.1. Customers moving to a modern operating system will benefit from dramatically enhanced security, broad device choice for a mobile workforce, higher user productivity, and a lower total cost of ownership through improved management capabilities.

Support for Office 2003 also ends on April 8, 2014.

What does this mean?

It means you should take action. After April 8, 2014, Microsoft will no longer provide security updates or technical support for Windows XP. Security updates patch vulnerabilities that may be exploited by malware and help keep users and their data safer. PCs running Windows XP after April 8, 2014, should not be considered to be protected, and it is important that you migrate to a current supported operating system – such as Windows 8.1 – so you can receive regular security updates to protect their computer from malicious attacks

Not sure yet what my next step will be regards doing anything.
I very much disliked windows Vista, didn't like the feel of windows 7.

I highly suspect that hackers will welcome the end of support for Win XP.

Suggest that one get a good anti-virus program (of which there are quite a few) to protect your PC system. 

Be Well

"Wabi-sabi nurtures the authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect."

Don't ever give up hope, expect a miracle, pray as if you were going to die the next moment in time, but live life as if you were going to live forever."

A wise man once said, "Yesterday's the past, tomorrow's the future, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present."
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 01:32:44 PM »

There are threats other than virus and there is no protection from malicious web sites in anti virus software.   Best option out there as far as I am concerned is Windows 7 with all the compatibility features turned on.  That is what I use in work.  At home I use a Mac.
XP is is dead and with no updates any zero day threats left will never be patched.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »