I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:16:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Fistula in elderly, success?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fistula in elderly, success?  (Read 2163 times)
TheGrandson

« on: December 31, 2012, 12:03:23 PM »

I was wondering if anyone here has had experience with a fistula, or other vascular access for an elderly patient.  My grandmother is 87, and the nephrologist has recommended using the subclavian catheter as a permanent solution.  However, the dialysis center staff keeps asking about when we are getting a fistula or graft.  Has anyone had experience with a permenant access for someone in their 80s or 90s?
talker

Talkers oil painting

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 03:24:41 PM »

I was wondering if anyone here has had experience with a fistula, or other vascular access for an elderly patient.  My grandmother is 87, and the nephrologist has recommended using the subclavian catheter as a permanent solution.  However, the dialysis center staff keeps asking about when we are getting a fistula or graft.  Has anyone had experience with a permenant access for someone in their 80s or 90s?

One thing for sure. Not all people are the same and not all medical professionals agree on everything. :puke;
Read an item way back when I was told 'exercise the fistulas.
The item stated that the dialysis personell should NOT advise patients to exercise the arm to help mature fistulas.  :o
I was 86 I believe when I had the fistula placed. So there was a catherer and a fistula that needed maturity.
Have had, plugged catheters, plugged fistulas, repaired catheters, repaired fistulas.
Have also experienced black /  blue and yellow 'blown' needle insertions, yes, there are fancy medical terms but I preferr to call it what it actually is.
Needle insertion.   :bow;
Rather it is needles that missed getting into the vein that caused the multi-colored arm.
Each mode of access has its own set of 'things that can go wrong'.

One could conceivably experiene some, part of or nore of the above.
We are all faced with the good ,  the bad, and all the in between.

So grandmother could actually not be troubled by any of what has been said.  :flower;

talker
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 04:55:45 PM by talker » Logged

Be Well

"Wabi-sabi nurtures the authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect."

Don't ever give up hope, expect a miracle, pray as if you were going to die the next moment in time, but live life as if you were going to live forever."

A wise man once said, "Yesterday's the past, tomorrow's the future, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »