I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 09:21:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  How long on hemodialysis machine
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How long on hemodialysis machine  (Read 7471 times)
lmden

« on: March 31, 2014, 03:02:03 AM »

I'm new to dialysis (only been on a week) im currently on 4 hours 3 days a week, does everybody have the same amount of time or does it vary depending on whats prescribed by your doctor?

Regards
talker

Talkers oil painting

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 04:28:37 AM »

I'm new to dialysis (only been on a week) im currently on 4 hours 3 days a week, does everybody have the same amount of time or does it vary depending on whats prescribed by your doctor?

Regards
Welcome .
From casual and personal observation, the 4/3 setup seems the standard or the coming standard.
Have seen two and a half, three and three and a half, and the four hour sessions.
Yet have read that anything less than the four hour session , three times a week isn't doing a good dialysis job.
So appears the patient and the doctor set the frame for 'how much and how often'.

talker

Be Well

"Wabi-sabi nurtures the authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect."

Don't ever give up hope, expect a miracle, pray as if you were going to die the next moment in time, but live life as if you were going to live forever."

A wise man once said, "Yesterday's the past, tomorrow's the future, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present."
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 08:47:20 AM »

I believe/been told that the time is some factor of your weight in my US based center.  For example I'm right around 90 Kilos and go for 3.5 hours, other smaller people can start after me and finish before me.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 09:00:45 AM »

It also depends on your clearance, which also depends on your diet etc.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Dman73

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 12:10:29 PM »

Body mass is also a consideration. We have a person that weighs over 250  lbs and runs 5 hrs 3X/wk.

hd 73
tx  87
hd 01

by the yard life is hard by the inch it's a cinch...
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 12:24:15 PM »

It also depends on how big a filter your neph is willing to prescribe for you.  My doc tells me getting a 180 at Fresenius is no big deal (default is 160 in many clinics), but getting a200 or (yikes) a 250 requires approval from the P&T committee.
talker

Talkers oil painting

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 01:04:55 PM »

]
It also depends on how big a filter your neph is willing to prescribe for you.  My doc tells me getting a 180 at Fresenius is no big deal (default is 160 in many clinics), but getting a200 or (yikes) a 250 requires approval from the P&T committee.
Body mass is also a consideration. We have a person that weighs over 250  lbs and runs 5 hrs 3X/wk.
I believe/been told that the time is some factor of your weight in my US based center.  For example I'm right around 90 Kilos and go for 3.5 hours, other smaller people can start after me and finish before me.

Thank you.
Still learning

talker
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 04:50:04 PM by talker » Logged

Be Well

"Wabi-sabi nurtures the authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect."

Don't ever give up hope, expect a miracle, pray as if you were going to die the next moment in time, but live life as if you were going to live forever."

A wise man once said, "Yesterday's the past, tomorrow's the future, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present."
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 04:43:34 PM »

Regards

More dialysis is better, regardless of the size of the patient.
In Japan and parts of Europe, standard in-center hemodialysis treatment times range from 4 to 5 hours, three-times-a-week.
These countries have lower mortality rates than the U.S.

For those opting home hemodialysis, nocturnal 6 to 8 hours, 5 to 6 days-a-week is the gold standard for optimal treatment.

8)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 07:30:14 PM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Hemodoc
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 10:54:16 PM »

Regards

More dialysis is better, regardless of the size of the patient.
In Japan and parts of Europe, standard in-center hemodialysis treatment times range from 4 to 5 hours, three-times-a-week.
These countries have lower mortality rates than the U.S.

For those opting home hemodialysis, nocturnal 6 to 8 hours, 5 to 6 days-a-week is the gold standard for optimal treatment.

8)

Such a simple statement Zach that most US nephrologist's would argue against, wrongly I might add. BTW, I missed your note on your 32nd dialysisversery. Congratulations Zach, and I don't want a transplant either. I guess we are both crazy after all these years.  :yahoo;

Peter Laird, MD
www.hemodoc.info
Diagnosed with IgA nephropathy 1998
Incenter Dialysis starting 2-1-2007
Self Care in Center from 4-15-2008 to 6-2-2009
Started  Home Care with NxStage 6-2-2009 (Qb 370, FF 45%, 40L)

All clinical and treatment related issues discussed on this forum are for informational purposes only.  You must always secure your own medical teams approval for all treatment options before applying any discussions on this site to your own circumstances.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 02:22:42 PM »

I do incenter hemodialysis so I go 3 nights a week for 8 hours.  I watch a movie or read and then conk out.  It goes fast.  THANK GOD.

:bow;

Hemodoc
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 07:06:48 PM »

I do incenter hemodialysis so I go 3 nights a week for 8 hours.  I watch a movie or read and then conk out.  It goes fast.  THANK GOD.

That is 24 hours a week of dialysis. In-center nocturnal is a great option for some folks that don't want the bother of home dialysis.  Do the serve a full dinner and multiple courses and desert as well?

Peter Laird, MD
www.hemodoc.info
Diagnosed with IgA nephropathy 1998
Incenter Dialysis starting 2-1-2007
Self Care in Center from 4-15-2008 to 6-2-2009
Started  Home Care with NxStage 6-2-2009 (Qb 370, FF 45%, 40L)

All clinical and treatment related issues discussed on this forum are for informational purposes only.  You must always secure your own medical teams approval for all treatment options before applying any discussions on this site to your own circumstances.
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 07:19:47 PM »

BTW, I missed your note on your 32nd dialysisversery. Congratulations Zach, and I don't want a transplant either. I guess we are both crazy after all these years.  :yahoo;

Thanks Hemodoc!
Sometimes it's good to be crazy.

8)

You're my hero, Rerun!

:-*
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 07:21:40 PM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
komomai

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2014, 02:06:54 AM »

Aloha I started hemodialysis here in Okinawa, Japan started at 4.5 hours 3X week.  I am trying to do home hemodialysis so I talked my Doctor into allowing me to come in for 3 hours at 6X week.  I explained this is the min. I would do at home so why can't I try it in center to see if I can tell the difference?  Well, I felt a lot better doing it 6 times a week had more energy made it to work more often, until I caught an infection on my tunnel catheter.  And yes, my Doctor agrees that the more dialysis time you do the better for you.  Unfortunately the Japanese National Health Insurance doesn't agree and sticks to the standard 3 times a week for all the Japanese patients.  I use a private US company that covers Foreign Services.
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2014, 05:49:52 AM »

I'd be all over that if they offered it around me (and allowed me to keep my nephrologists).  The nocturnal center service they offer in the Davita's under my nephrologist group's oversight are something like 10 pm to 3 am - slightly longer than 3.5 hours but not a full nights worth.  I don't know who in their right mind would go to a nocturnal session that doesn't allow you to sleep a decent amount of time.  I understand you might want to spend the evening at home, but I would prefer to go directly to work when I get out.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
kit78

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2014, 07:59:01 AM »

The cleaner you eat and use the "Kidney Diet" app, the better you will feel.  The app is $1.99 be it iphone or android.  My doc told me about it.  It watches the levels nicely and the app is updated all the time.  Please get it to watch you levels.  I just got a transplant but am high risk, so I am still using the app.

Inherited PKD from my Mother who died at age 52
2001 Transplant - Blessed...only on list for 4 days
2012 Lost Transplant and had Pneumonia
2012 June - started Dialysis
2012 December -  Back on Transplant list
cdwbrooklyn

Positive Thoughts equal Positive Energy

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2014, 08:54:12 AM »

The cleaner you eat and use the "Kidney Diet" app, the better you will feel.  The app is $1.99 be it iphone or android.  My doc told me about it.  It watches the levels nicely and the app is updated all the time.  Please get it to watch you levels.  I just got a transplant but am high risk, so I am still using the app.

Wow.  I'm going to look into that app. 

Thanks!!!!

Dailysis patient for since 1999 and still kicking it strong.  I was called for a transplant but could not get it due to damage veins from extremely high blood pressure.  Have it under control now, on NxStage System but will receive dailysis for the rest of my life.  Does life sucks because of this.  ABOLUTELY NOT!  Life is what you make it good, bad, sick, or healthy.  Praise God I'm still functioning as a normal person just have to take extra steps.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2014, 10:46:29 AM »

I'd be all over that if they offered it around me (and allowed me to keep my nephrologists).  The nocturnal center service they offer in the Davita's under my nephrologist group's oversight are something like 10 pm to 3 am - slightly longer than 3.5 hours but not a full nights worth.  I don't know who in their right mind would go to a nocturnal session that doesn't allow you to sleep a decent amount of time.  I understand you might want to spend the evening at home, but I would prefer to go directly to work when I get out.
The problem is that nocturnal in center is wedged into an existing treatment schedule, which typically has chair times starting at 6AM, so "nocturnal" start times of 8PM are not uncommon.   It never occurred to those in charge to start the regular shifts at 8 or 9AM so nocturnal could happen at night.   Add to that the fact that nocturnal often means sleeping in a dialysis chair, and the concept becomes a lot less appealing.
dialysisuser82

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2014, 04:21:52 PM »

---Your question: "How long on hemodialysis machine?"---

It depends on the Ekt/v, meaning how well toxin is removed.

At my center, the upper range for ekt/v is only 1.2. To me this is not good enough, ideally ekt/v should be in the range of 1.7-2.0 for longevity of life span.

As you progress in dialysis, the doctor will reduce your time.

Hope this help,
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »