I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 01:44:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories
| | |-+  DaVita Travel Policy
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: DaVita Travel Policy  (Read 5441 times)
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« on: March 26, 2014, 10:59:55 AM »

I was surprised to find out that, at least at DaVita, there is no longer a 3 to 4 week notifying policy to travel somewhere.  It is more like a 3 to 4 day notification and they will try to get you in if you are visiting somewhere.  Some states have odd policies, so if you are visiting AZ then you have to have a H&P (Health and Physical) within 1 month of your visit.  And someplaces like Hawaii, may be full.  More of a notice may be needed there.

I was glad to find this out.  Of course this is a DaVita to a DaVita visit.  If you are going somewhere that only has Fresenius then more notice may be needed.

:yahoo; 

iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 11:03:02 AM »

That sounds like a good change. I need to schedule Boise for Memorial Day so I'll ask my coordinator about that soon.
Of course this is a DaVita to a DaVita visit.  If you are going somewhere that only has Fresenius then more notice may be needed.
Does your DaVita coordinate non DaVita visits?  They told me they only do USA/CAN, but so I just assumed it was DaVita only.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 11:04:16 AM by iolaire » Logged

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 11:25:37 AM »

That sounds like a good change. I need to schedule Boise for Memorial Day so I'll ask my coordinator about that soon.
Of course this is a DaVita to a DaVita visit.  If you are going somewhere that only has Fresenius then more notice may be needed.
Does your DaVita coordinate non DaVita visits?  They told me they only do USA/CAN, but so I just assumed it was DaVita only.

I'm not sure.  I'll PM you the name and phone number of the Lady I talked to. 

iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 11:30:21 AM »

I'm not sure.  I'll PM you the name and phone number of the Lady I talked to.
That's ok (thank you), my lady in my center is ok.  I'll check when I see her next.  In October I'll be on the outer banks and it looks like a Fresenius is closest.

However if anyone has had help with scheduling intentionally from DaVita I'd be interested in knowing about.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Tío Riñon

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 09:22:21 AM »

I have worked with DaVita for my dialysis during international travels, but I'm on PD, so some aspects will be different. 

You need to call their travel desk (via the 800 number) at least 8 weeks in advance.  Don't delay because I tried to make arrangements shortly after starting dialysis and even with 5-6 weeks, they were refusing to work with me.  Luckily my doctor had some pull and made it happen still. 

It is best if you have your itinerary handy because they will ask you many questions, such as dates of travel, addresses where you are staying, contact phone numbers, etc.

Since I'm on PD, I had to arrange for my solutions to be delivered and pay for them in advance.  There was, I believe, a $100 fee for making the arrangements and then the actual cost of the solutions.  The cost is usually pretty reasonable.  Any other equipment was my responsibility to bring (cycler, tubing, clamps, sponges, etc.).

You will probably also need to the approval of your clinic and DaVita will follow up on that.  They will also determine clinics in the area as a back-up resource for any issues.  Otherwise, you'll need to go to a hospital for assistance.

Remember that most other countries do their work using the metric system, so you might want to figure out what values are appropriate for you using their system.  My solutions weren't available in the usual quantities that I get here, so we adjusted them accordingly.  One wasn't available at all, so I had to bring it with me.

Good luck!  Let me know if you have any other questions.
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 08:41:38 AM »

Well, they assured me that domestic travel was much easier now.  Only 3 day notice and they would try and get you in.  So, when the Seahawks had the playoffs I could have gone.  I could have even gone to the superbowl.... Remember?  SEAHAWKS WON! 

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »