I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:09:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  Problems with PD Catheter
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Problems with PD Catheter  (Read 10212 times)
traceyls

« on: March 20, 2010, 05:47:43 AM »

I am having so many problems with my catheter draining.  I have had already had a surgery for a a new one.  I really don't want HEMO, or the one catheter in my neck, so I feel desperate for it to work.  Does anyone have anyone suggestions at to how I can get this thing working properly?  PLEASE HELP!
lou

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 07:01:17 AM »

Tracey, what sort of pd are you doing? Manual bags or the machine?

I also had a lot of problems with draining, especially on the machine and had to have a new catheter fitted after 3 months. On the overnight machine it constantly alarmed and I would have to stand up every time it drained and dance around a bit! I switched to manual bags and found they drained much better. It could also be the position of your catheter?

Don't give up hope, I had draining problems for the first few months of pd but it did get easier. I would def recommend manual bags if your not doing them.

billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 09:01:46 AM »

catheters can be a problem, the first one my husband had was brilliant, he could do a manual in just 30 mins and when he went on the machine (PD) it was alright. He had peritonitis e-coli bug very bad in July last year and had to have his catheter out and go on to hemo for 4 months. The new catheter he had put in in Nov has not worked well at all, apparently it has been positioned wrong, they were going to do some tweaking but the surgeon wont do it because of his heart condition. I would say the best thing to do is make sure you are not constipated that is one of the biggest things with CAPD or PD. He has to take 2 senacot twice a day with lactose whether he needs it or not. He stands up to drain out, he bends his knees that helps. Some drains are really good, some are crap. He tries to walk for at least 30 minutes a day, that also helps. he does not want to go back on to hemo, so try different things.Whats that song " bend it, shake it, just a little bit" Good luck. Just a thought have you had any operational shit that's blocking it, we did.
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 10:43:41 AM »

My first catheter had no problems and worked like a charm.  With the second catheter it wouldn't drain, so I had to have a second surgery to remove about an inch of the line inside due to the fact that I have a tendency to slump while sitting.  Now it works fine.
traceyls

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 01:23:28 PM »

I just got the catheter in Feb, it didn't work at all the first time when they irrigated it.  So I went in again, they replaced and repositioned it.  It worked going in, but not draining very well.  It actually did drain perfectly only one time, but they after that I not so great.  Not all of it was coming out and I would have to bend over and go to the right to almost force it out.  I have noticed that constipation does play a role in all of this. 

My levels are not great and I really should be on dialysis now, which is why my Dr. wants me to get the catheter in my neck for hemo.  This is something that I wanted to avoid.  It upsets me everytime I think about it.  I got a call on Friday from the surgeon about setting up an appointment for it.  I really don't want to face the fact that I have to do this.  For some reason, hemo terrifies me.  I don't have an absolute reason why, it just does.
traceyls

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 01:27:16 PM »

Oh, and it just the manual bags they have used on me so far.
vivisfab

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 12:55:56 AM »

I have found that when I am constipated, I don't drain as well. Also, are they injiecting you with heparin? That helps too. I don't know if it would make a difference or not, but why not try the cycler at night and see if that makes a difference?
traceyls

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 03:34:57 AM »

Yes, they have injected that heparin, I think it helps too.  And, I haven't even started dialysis yet, I just got the catheter and every week while it heals I have been going to get it irrigated and testing it out.  I can't even get to the point for me do actually use it to have dialysis.  :(
new2PD

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 12:38:04 PM »

Has anyone been told the problems with the catheder draining is due to scare tissue?

Mine is not draining. My 1st catheder kinked, had to be taken out - just started using this new one, and the draining just doesn't work. I am desperate - do not want to be stuck on hemp.

Has anyone had multiple adjustments to a catheder?

HawaiiND
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 02:35:38 PM »

............... I am desperate - do not want to be stuck on hemp...........

I used to be stuck on hemp.  Grew some of the finest.  It made the whole world seem so much nicer.

Been clean waaayyy to long now, since early 80's.  Still miss it.

Thinking about moving back to WA where I grew, up.

So much for humor.

I understand what you mean.  I started PD just over a year ago.  The thought that I may one day have to switch to hemo scares me.  I have this 'thing' about big needles.

When it happens, and I'm sure it eventually will, I won't have much choice about it.  It is one of those 'do or die' things that everyone here it IHD has faced.

It will be an adventure, not the most pleasant, but another learning experience.  One that just keeps getting repeated.

I'm hoping that your surgeon will figure out what the problem is with your cath, get it straightened out or positioned better so you can use it without problems.

I've been lucky so far, I sometimes have pain at the very end of my drain, intense until I start to fill and get a little liquid back in to 'space' everything apart inside.  Glad it is only an occasion and not at every change.  4 manual changes a day could add up to a terrible amount of pain daily.  So I have to consider myself very fortunate.

Have you talked to your neph had an x-ray to see exactly where the cath is positioned?

Will keep you in my thoughts and hope for an early resolution other than going on hemo.

Take Care,

Charlie B
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »