I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:20:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  Wi Fi....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wi Fi....  (Read 9404 times)
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« on: March 10, 2014, 09:26:15 AM »

I am at a DaVita Center and we have WiFi but they block everything.  We can't even stream a movie from Netflix.  What is the deal?  You can go to McDonald's and stream Netflix.  Management says Corporate has blocked everything that could be bad?  Really?  Isn't that censorship to the max? 

What do you have at your centers?

:waiting;
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 05:11:33 PM by Rerun » Logged

dublin

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 09:31:07 AM »

I am at a DaVita Center and we have WiFi but they block everything.  We can't even stream a movie from Netflix.  What is the deal?  You can go to McDonald's and stream Netflix.  Management says Corporate has blocked everything that could be bad?  Really?  Isn't that censorship to the max? 

Hi rerun hope you are well , we have a tv , radio combo and the internet but most time they freeze everything on the internet so you can watch nothing ,  :thumbup; so i just bring in an mp3 player and listen to OLD TIME RADIO SHOWS they are very good.

EDITED:  Fixed Smiley  Rerun, Admin
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 09:37:07 AM by Rerun » Logged
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 09:55:11 AM »

My DaVita in Alexandria, VA only has email blocked, and some games like Clash of Clans cannot connect, but I'm able to stream video from both Comcast, HBO Go and Amazon.  I am able to connect directly to the email's website and get my mail, just not via an email app.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 01:18:04 PM »

My Fresenius center had horrifically bad wi-fi.  It was so bad that I would use my phone as a hotspot.  This was when I had to pay for tethering through my cell provider so I worked around that with an app that I had to use with a USB cable.  I had complained to the FA to no avail, which was bad because I actually worked while I was on treatment and needed wi-fi.  So I was using up gobs of data until one day, the younger tech-savvy MD was rounding and asked why I had my phone hooked up to my laptop.  I told him it was because the center's wi-fi was unusable.  I noticed not too long after that, the wi-fi was fixed.

DaVita didn't have many issues with their Wi-Fi other than it was slow.  Nothing was blocked to my knowledge but all I had at the time was a Nook Color and the Nook app store was just out so a lot of stuff was limited.

The best was the non-profit center I went to in South Dakota once when I was visiting.  Wi-Fi was fast and strong and they had a decent cable package.  I could have stayed there all day.    :sarcasm;
Tío Riñon

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 12:29:51 PM »

My Fresenius Center had Wi-Fi, but no one knew how to access it when I first arrived.  Luckily there was a bar next door with Wi-Fi, so I used it until they figured out the codes.  DaVita has Wi-Fi too, but they change their password every month, so you have to figure out the code and then the speed may vary.
E-mail tends to be a problem.  You may be right about some blocking.

WI Dialysis has very good speed and easy access--probably because they're affiliated with the local university hospital.  The centers in VT are usually good too.  They are part of the Fletcher Allen university hospital too.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 06:50:42 PM »

Slow as hell Wi-fi at my center.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 01:27:28 PM »

Remember if you are not using a VPN service some moron running a utility like wire shark can see every thing you do on a public wifi.
talker

Talkers oil painting

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 12:45:18 PM »

Hi Rerun

Would you believe SILENCE mostly.  ::)

Going to practice doing the CD player one handed.  :pray;

Not really complaining , but even the TV's viewing depends on what chair you get into.
Other wise snow, messed up earphone jacks or poor sound.

talker

Be Well

"Wabi-sabi nurtures the authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect."

Don't ever give up hope, expect a miracle, pray as if you were going to die the next moment in time, but live life as if you were going to live forever."

A wise man once said, "Yesterday's the past, tomorrow's the future, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »