I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:18:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Pre-Dialysis
| | |-+  Chinese Herbs -- I hope this isn't a faux pax to post here.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chinese Herbs -- I hope this isn't a faux pax to post here.  (Read 19948 times)
Athena

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2015, 07:07:07 AM »

Kristina

I've only just joined this site but I really find your life story and posts extremely interesting & inspiring. Wow, 43 years you've been living with CKD without reaching dialysis. You are exactly the person who I need to learn from.

FWIW, I managed to "live with CKD" for 53 years before I had to start dialysis. and I neither adopted a total vegetarian diet (although I did have days when I did not eat meat), I didn't give up alcohol or painkillers, nor did I ever take to wearing strange garments over my kidney regions (Angora kidney warmers? Geez, add a big hat and a flouncy skirt, and you'd look just like Stevie Nicks...). So, you can choose who you would like to lean from, but in the end, if you want good, educated opinions, you need to consult professionals, not just some anonymous poster with dubious opinions on an online forum.

Alex, that is amazing to hear that you lived with CKD for 53 years. I do consult professionals all the time (I have 2 Nephs), have a physician turned naturopath/acupuncturist who has a special interest in kidney health, am about to see a renal dietician and read widely and profusely on everything relating to this subject. And let me tell you one thing - I still don't know enough, nor have any confidence about the future given the state of play with medical science right now! I am keen to hear from kidney patients about ANYTHING that they have found useful in preserving their kidney function. As my Nephrologists will freely admit at any time - they don't know enough about this disease!

Find Cure for CKD now! Please like my facebook page of the same name. Thank you.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2015, 10:40:12 AM »

Kristina

I've only just joined this site but I really find your life story and posts extremely interesting & inspiring. Wow, 43 years you've been living with CKD without reaching dialysis. You are exactly the person who I need to learn from.

FWIW, I managed to "live with CKD" for 53 years before I had to start dialysis. and I neither adopted a total vegetarian diet (although I did have days when I did not eat meat), I didn't give up alcohol or painkillers, nor did I ever take to wearing strange garments over my kidney regions (Angora kidney warmers? Geez, add a big hat and a flouncy skirt, and you'd look just like Stevie Nicks...). So, you can choose who you would like to lean from, but in the end, if you want good, educated opinions, you need to consult professionals, not just some anonymous poster with dubious opinions on an online forum.

Hello Alex C,

I am quite startled to read your dismissive message directed against me so very personally!

... IHD is a forum to exchange ESRF-experiences in a very civilized manner
and suddenly there appears this dismissive message from you directed against me personally ? How come ?

... If you take the time to look at some of the latest Continental/European medical nephrology-researches, 
you certainly come across very interesting & encouraging medical research-results regarding a vegetarian diet in ESRF !

When consulting European/Continental nephrologists, you might also come across a recommendation to get one or two of those, as you say :
"strange garments around the kidneys" ... Why? Because they keep an even-levelled temparature and they also protect to keep-off drafts around the kidneys.
... These garments can only be bought in medically recommended/regulated Continental health shops, which are also used by medics.
BTW: These garments are of a very fine material and they are most certainly not noticeable...

You tell Athena and I quote: „So, you can choose who you would like to lean from, but in the end, if you want good, educated opinions, you need to consult professionals, not just some anonymous poster with dubious opinions on an online forum. So, you can choose who you would like to lean from, but in the end, if you want good, educated opinions, you need to consult professionals, not just some anonymous poster with dubious opinions on an online forum.”

... Startling words indeed! Your message almost appears, as if in your opinion IHD is not even needed?

...It goes without saying that I always listen very carefully what "my" nephrologist says  ...
... He also overlooks my regular blood-test-results and has assured me that I am doing “all the right things” with my vegetarian diet etc.
I am also told that I should continue to do what I have been doing for many years, because it obviously suits “my” Chronic Proliferative Glomerulonephritis.

Your comments against me come over as if you wish to imply that my personal experiences with ESRF are unworthy of consideration ...
... What entitles you to write so very dismissively against me? I am amazed that you call my personal 43-year-ESRF-experiences “dubious”
and that you entitle yourself to pretentiously & presumptuously dismiss my experiences with kidney failure and Chronic Proliferative Glomerulonephritis ... ?

I would never ever dismiss anyone’s ESRF-experiences ... and I understand that on IHD we learn from each other, encourage each other,
listen to each other etc. and learn, how to survive despite ESRF... and all that in a very civilized manner ...  and ...  I do hope it continues like that...

Best wishes from Kristina.

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
MuddyGurl

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2015, 12:52:42 PM »

Athena…. you can learn an enormous amount from the new resource of the internet, almost all of it in the positive. Of course only a too trusting unthinking adult would use any crazy advice they read without thought and verification.

I fully disagree that  AUTHORITY is your only source of education to trust!!
 :Kit n Stik;

In fact were it not for my own curiosity and research I would never have known I was untreated for High BP, and overdosing on aspirin DAILY

each day that went by my high BP was killing off kidney function due to high pressure, and the QUADRUPLE aspirin I was taking after a stroke..a 325 pill..vs the RECOMMENDED 75 gr aspirin daily.      75gr is the most safe and effective for stroke prevention, and all the extra aspirin was harming my kidney too.  My urology NP just verified i should be taking lesser, 81 gr. baby aspirin, instead of 325.  So even though all my Docs, in a VA clinic Ive gone to for 15 years knows I have one failing kidney…I was NOT treated correctly. and I see these people 2-3x a year, and they know I am intensely interested to keep my health. Many of the old geezer vets just shuffle along ignoring advice and scrips..they are too trusting, and uneducated to know what to ask.

I had a kindly but extremely passive MD, who was later fried front eh clinic after 12 years, I wonder why?  I should have been on HBP meds after losing my let kidney to cancer, but no…I only figured it out 3 years later that 140/80 was too high for me, and I was always bouncing over 140..often 150!!…When I got the BP meds it was too low a dose. I contacted NKF.org and learned under 120/80 was ideal for me especially.  I had to argue and demand the MD five me a higher dose of BPmeds as I was  overweight, causing BP issues from that alone.

So ASK a lot of questions of your medical team, make them explain the why of what they are giving or doing to you.
Athena

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2015, 05:11:27 AM »

Muddygurl, if you're saying that we should question and never blindly trust medical advice that we receive, I couldn't agree more! It sounds contradictory to say that but anyone who's been through the wringer with the medical profession certainly knows this plain truth. And where nephrology is concerned, they freely admiit that they don't have the answers. Not by a long shot. We're all pretty much let out to pasture and fend for ourselves with our weakened kidneys.

But having said that, I find that consulting widely with as many experienced medical brains as humanely possible, also confers extra safety and peace of mind (even if it doesn't help the wallet!). I also value hearing from experienced kidney veterans how they've managed to survive.

Find Cure for CKD now! Please like my facebook page of the same name. Thank you.
MuddyGurl

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2015, 10:55:10 AM »

Kristina- the experienced one, and Athenea- the new one….I try to remember that most medicine came from plants and herbs people discovered on their own over thousands of years.  When modern medicine mimicked these ingredients into 'chemical versions" some were  much better, many adedd side effects that cost dearly.

I real scientist keeps an open mind…and observes or challenges or relooks at what has been done or written before.    Mds rush to the fast answer, the groupthink to get peer acceptance, and not explore for their patient something else..( they call it "standard of care") fine..we pay our money and take our chances..most of the time it works out OK and we aren't killed off by modern meds..but…

A REAL scientist would hear about granny using an wee knitted kidney warmer and ask why?..then explore the idea and discover that raising the temp by 4 degrees actually supports nephrons, and helps them last longer under stress of workload.

So a person who chooses the 'silly old wives tale"  and wrapped a long angora scarf around their belly before going off to work may be actually accomplishing something.

even the tiniest help we give our bodies can add up to it doing a better job FOR us.  Ignorance at the new, and 'groupthink" abounds in our society, the scientist who doesnt go along with the party line does not get funded agin, is brought up by peers and punished or excluded. that's real smart.

I've been re-reading al the things wrong with all the studies on pushing Aspartame thru the FDA…and the continued  ignoring of the significant problems with this chemical combo.  But now it is in over 10,000 foods used by billions world wide, the horse it out the barn door for good.  All one can do is not use it and not buy any foods with it..which is pretty much any food in a wrapper or bottle or can. (and 'soy' too..in everything…great marketing plan there)

The shop the OUTSIDE aisles of the grocery store is still the safest bet for the safer foods. plus growing your own, knowing a farm/rancher.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2015, 01:21:32 AM »

Kristina- the experienced one, and Athenea- the new one….I try to remember that most medicine came from plants and herbs people discovered on their own over thousands of years.  When modern medicine mimicked these ingredients into 'chemical versions" some were  much better, many adedd side effects that cost dearly.

I real scientist keeps an open mind…and observes or challenges or relooks at what has been done or written before.    Mds rush to the fast answer, the groupthink to get peer acceptance, and not explore for their patient something else..( they call it "standard of care") fine..we pay our money and take our chances..most of the time it works out OK and we aren't killed off by modern meds..but…

A REAL scientist would hear about granny using an wee knitted kidney warmer and ask why?..then explore the idea and discover that raising the temp by 4 degrees actually supports nephrons, and helps them last longer under stress of workload.

So a person who chooses the 'silly old wives tale"  and wrapped a long angora scarf around their belly before going off to work may be actually accomplishing something.

even the tiniest help we give our bodies can add up to it doing a better job FOR us.  Ignorance at the new, and 'groupthink" abounds in our society, the scientist who doesnt go along with the party line does not get funded agin, is brought up by peers and punished or excluded. that's real smart.

I've been re-reading al the things wrong with all the studies on pushing Aspartame thru the FDA…and the continued  ignoring of the significant problems with this chemical combo.  But now it is in over 10,000 foods used by billions world wide, the horse it out the barn door for good.  All one can do is not use it and not buy any foods with it..which is pretty much any food in a wrapper or bottle or can. (and 'soy' too..in everything…great marketing plan there)

The shop the OUTSIDE aisles of the grocery store is still the safest bet for the safer foods. plus growing your own, knowing a farm/rancher.

Thank you Muddygurl for your wise thoughts...
To be quite honest, I was informed about these "angora-kidney-protecters" by a medical Professor in the 1970's.
(That was in hospital, after my kidneys had failed and had just started to function a little again  ...)
This Professor taught me then that our sensitive kidneys are usually not protected from the cold or draft
and if I keep them at an even body-temperature, I could assist to protect their function longer ...
That sounded very logical to me and as soon as I was discharged from hospital, I went to a medical health-shop
and bought two of these "angora-kidney-protectors", to make sure that I always have a clean one...
The Professor also told me that our kidneys are very sensitive to changes in temperature and season etc.
and those garments assist us to protect them ...
Best wishes from Kristina. :grouphug;

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
MuddyGurl

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2015, 01:16:11 PM »

Kristina…see what I mean about people in the forums who have no compunction to  tell you you are stupid? You will note than *some* are always negative, barking replies  with the safety of anoniminity..people dont do this in person. because it is not tolerated.  My answer is to not engage with or reply to such posters.  Others who DEFEND their behavior are equally guilty. This is supposed to be a support site. We need to demand and expect civil discussion. Epoman wanted us to be free to share our pain, our research, but not tolerate an attack based message system.  Just saying " I think you are wrong" is enough..

And Athena, yes. we MUST fend for ourselves.  I did NOT say not to listen to Medical Pros.  I call MDsand experts all the time..I gather info from everywhere…  SOmetimes I get" WHO are you???"   I say I am MuddyGurl, Private Citizen…here is what I want to know and why."     Mds a re human, they make mistakes, communication goes wrong,

Here's my experience as an example"   I've said my desire to heal from a major car accident before having surgery was met with shock.

I could barely lift my arms, walk or sit without pain, and they wanted to yank my kidney in a major surgery, ( we had no idea if it would be laprascopic or the "big cut" requiring WEEKS oof in hospital healing)    then they'd send me home, where i lived alone…and had no worry for me once I left the OR table. sheesh

Once I learned I had kidney cancer I went to a vegetarian diet, consulted a Naturapathic doc, followed her advice, took supplements to aid in my HEALTH..not trying to grow a new kidney.. and HOW did the staff take this news I wanted to wait, and get healthy, lose weight with a good veggie diet?  they said " She's trying to CURE herself with herbs!!"  WTF!! I said no such thing..but this is how the MEDICAL pros took it!!

Poor communication all around.  yes I took a risk to delay surgery, but they CAT scanned me regularly, blood tests, and the cancer did not grow or change, as soon as it changed slightly, 8 mo later I had the surgery, and I was fine..fully contained. I had to learn not to fear cancer, which helped enormously.
yes there are people who gulp down herbs, bay at the moon, etc and think they can cure themselves..but  the medical staff never listened to ME an  educated, sensible adult..treated me like any nutcase.

kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2015, 03:24:52 AM »

Kristina…see what I mean about people in the forums who have no compunction to  tell you you are stupid? You will note than *some* are always negative, barking replies  with the safety of anoniminity..people dont do this in person. because it is not tolerated.  My answer is to not engage with or reply to such posters.  Others who DEFEND their behavior are equally guilty. This is supposed to be a support site. We need to demand and expect civil discussion. Epoman wanted us to be free to share our pain, our research, but not tolerate an attack based message system.  Just saying " I think you are wrong" is enough..

And Athena, yes. we MUST fend for ourselves.  I did NOT say not to listen to Medical Pros.  I call MDsand experts all the time..I gather info from everywhere…  SOmetimes I get" WHO are you???"   I say I am MuddyGurl, Private Citizen…here is what I want to know and why."     Mds a re human, they make mistakes, communication goes wrong,

Here's my experience as an example"   I've said my desire to heal from a major car accident before having surgery was met with shock.

I could barely lift my arms, walk or sit without pain, and they wanted to yank my kidney in a major surgery, ( we had no idea if it would be laprascopic or the "big cut" requiring WEEKS oof in hospital healing)    then they'd send me home, where i lived alone…and had no worry for me once I left the OR table. sheesh

Once I learned I had kidney cancer I went to a vegetarian diet, consulted a Naturapathic doc, followed her advice, took supplements to aid in my HEALTH..not trying to grow a new kidney.. and HOW did the staff take this news I wanted to wait, and get healthy, lose weight with a good veggie diet?  they said " She's trying to CURE herself with herbs!!"  WTF!! I said no such thing..but this is how the MEDICAL pros took it!!

Poor communication all around.  yes I took a risk to delay surgery, but they CAT scanned me regularly, blood tests, and the cancer did not grow or change, as soon as it changed slightly, 8 mo later I had the surgery, and I was fine..fully contained. I had to learn not to fear cancer, which helped enormously.
yes there are people who gulp down herbs, bay at the moon, etc and think they can cure themselves..but  the medical staff never listened to ME an  educated, sensible adult..treated me like any nutcase.

Thanks again MuddyGurl and I am very sorry what you went through  :grouphug;
I agree with what you say... Perhaps I did not ignore this particular post,
because when my kidneys first failed in 1971 & recovered a little of their function again,
it took me quite a time to consult with this Professor (a heart specialist) whose medical hobby was preventative medicine
and - after having consulted with nephrologists who told me that nothing medically could be done for me to avoid dialysis -
this Professor was the first medical person who told me that something still could be done to avoid dialysis for a little longer with a vegetarian diet etc.
... I still feel very lucky that I consulted with this Professor at that time because I could avoid dialysis for another 43 years...
... Of course, it could be that my avoiding dialysis for so many years had nothing to do with my vegetarian diet and I was just lucky -
but I like to think that my vegetarian diet did play a part to avoid dialysis for so many years ...
... I first answered the above post, because I feel extremely lucky to have had a consultation with this Professor and I wanted to "spread his word"
because perhaps not everyone is lucky enough to consult with a very humanitarian medical Professor
whose medical hobby happens to be preventative medicine...

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Athena

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2015, 05:18:10 AM »

[/quote]

Thanks again MuddyGurl and I am very sorry what you went through  :grouphug;
I agree with what you say... Perhaps I did not ignore this particular post,
because when my kidneys first failed in 1971 & recovered a little of their function again,
it took me quite a time to consult with this Professor (a heart specialist) whose medical hobby was preventative medicine
and - after having consulted with nephrologists who told me that nothing medically could be done for me to avoid dialysis -
this Professor was the first medical person who told me that something still could be done to avoid dialysis for a little longer with a vegetarian diet etc.
... I still feel very lucky that I consulted with this Professor at that time because I could avoid dialysis for another 43 years...
... Of course, it could be that my avoiding dialysis for so many years had nothing to do with my vegetarian diet and I was just lucky -
but I like to think that my vegetarian diet did play a part to avoid dialysis for so many years ...
... I first answered the above post, because I feel extremely lucky to have had a consultation with this Professor and I wanted to "spread his word"
because perhaps not everyone is lucky enough to consult with a very humanitarian medical Professor
whose medical hobby happens to be preventative medicine...
[/quote]

Kristina,
With regards to your experience with the medical professor whose hobby was preventative medicine, my second Neph is a Prof in Nephrology whose emphasis is on preventing CKD sufferers from needing dialysis. I felt so lucky to have found him late last year HOWEVER, I have to say that I really am not getting much insight or advice at all about how to avoid dialysis ... I've asked him time and time agaiin about how to best eat to avoid dialysis & he didn't really have any advice. He couldn't confirm that there was any benefit in severely restricting protein nor any benefit in avoiding animal protein altogether ... He did once upon a time did prescribe a low animal protein diet, as they all did back then, but they are consciously moving away from that now.

It seems dietary restriction is still only prescribed if there is any electrolyte imbalances. So far, my potassium, calcium and phosphorous levels are normal. I'm just wondering when you have your kidney failure in the 70s, whether you were left with any of the classic kidney imbalances that all of us struggle with? I ask because a vegetarian diet is usually one with higher levels of potassium so am just curious about your kidney experience.

I tell you Kristina, if a Prof told me to go vegetarian, I would in a heartbeat!

kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2015, 06:38:23 AM »

Kristina,
With regards to your experience with the medical professor whose hobby was preventative medicine, my second Neph is a Prof in Nephrology whose emphasis is on preventing CKD sufferers from needing dialysis. I felt so lucky to have found him late last year HOWEVER, I have to say that I really am not getting much insight or advice at all about how to avoid dialysis ... I've asked him time and time agaiin about how to best eat to avoid dialysis & he didn't really have any advice. He couldn't confirm that there was any benefit in severely restricting protein nor any benefit in avoiding animal protein altogether ... He did once upon a time did prescribe a low animal protein diet, as they all did back then, but they are consciously moving away from that now.
I tell you Kristina, if a Prof told me to go vegetarian, I would in a heartbeat!

That's exactly what I did ! This Professor's thoughts and his advise about eating a vegetarian diet
were the first positive up-beat medical thoughts I came across after my kidneys first failed in 1971
and I took his advise very seriously, because with my fragile kidney function I could certainly not afford to doubt or miss his thoughts ...
... and I have stuck to my vegetarian diet ever since...
Mind you, this Professor knew (after my kidney biopsy in 1972) that I suffered from Chronic Proliferative Glomerulonephritis
and I don't know whether he thought a vegetarian diet is beneficial to patients suffering from this particular kidneys-disease,
or whether he thought a vegetarian diet is generally beneficial to patients suffering from any kidney disease and/or ESRF ... 
Unfortunately he never published his theories and thoughts about preventative medicine and/or a vegetarian diet
and when I recently checked-up on him on the Internet, I read, that when he died he was written about in many newspapers
and he was given almost a State-Funeral, because he had saved so many patients with his great skills as one of the best heart-surgeons...
Best wishes from Kristina  :grouphug;
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 06:48:57 AM by kristina » Logged

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
MuddyGurl

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2015, 03:48:12 PM »

Kristina..I am SO GLAD to see you JUST didn't wait around for someone to TELL YOU constantly you needed to follow a veggie diet. ANd you didn't have today;s advantage of so much info!

There is a learned helplessness in wanting to wait until approval from higher up comes. when any logical person can see, and research for themselves ( and so easy now with every medical report on PUBMED.gov) that one can LEARN for themselves. 

and as a wise person knows if you keep doing the same thing ( i.e. normal meat diet) you will get the same results…but if one takes control and actually commits to a better diet they may see results. I am firmly convinced it is not one thing, it is every tiny thing we do to support our body to support out kidneys.

In the world of LCHF diets….we were erroneously SOLD the high carb pyramid diet for 40 years…and look how that has turned out with 30% obese, 30% MORE overweight, and 50% with diabetes to come…but the FIGHT by doctors who committed to promoting the high carb diet isn't dying easy.  who wants to admit they were wrong.  and ENTOIRE NATION turn to agribiz foods..grains..because ofONE WRONG DOCTOR…the president mandated it, and voila… here we are.

The fact is high carb is NOT GOOD for millions, if you are healthy, etc you can eat carbs..not sugary processed packaged food as the MAIN, but some..and get away with health until older.

But for already ill, overweight the worst thing is to buy into the USDA 60% grains diet. yet there are HUGE fights by ignorant people who have no nutritional science knowledge, and insist  they are fine.

OK, but those who try this food style, and IMPROVE health, lose weight, gain strength and mental clarity..they KNOW grains are bad for them. ANd a well respected Nephrologist, Dr. Jason Fung has changed the life of MANY severe diabetes and kidney sick people with a low carb,  fasting diet.   when most Nephs give the same old info… www.intensivedietarymanagement.com

If they waited until someone TOLD THEM to eat different…they would be the same in a year and 10 years.  You can lead them to the LOW Carb plate..but you can't make them eat…right?

Keep spreading your message of how the veggie diet may have made the difference..hopefully some will listen, in time.

kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2015, 02:26:04 AM »

Thanks again MuddyGurl,
I agree, that our ESRF-survival consists of many tiny little things which all add up to keep our ESRF-riddled-body functioning
that little bit better and that little bit longer...
For example, my constant veggie-diet over 44 years (in 2015) kept my body always around my own minimum weight and I am sure it also helped
to keep my body going and "my two little fighters" functioning much longer ...
... It was also always very important for me to make sure I keep myself as fit as possible
and over many years I have gone for walks whenever possible... and I still keep up with it ...
... Perhaps all that has helped over the years, together with all my other precautions...
But I always made sure that I never let my health-matters "get out of hand" and over the years I added to my well-being
by studying philosophy, literature and the history of art and all that continued to give me a good balance to "my" SLE/MCTD and kidney troubles...
... Many thanks again for the links to PUBMED.gov and www.intensivedietarymanagement.com.
Best wishes and thanks again from Kristina.  :grouphug;
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 02:28:23 AM by kristina » Logged

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Athena

« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2015, 05:53:32 AM »

Thanks again MuddyGurl,
I agree, that our ESRF-survival consists of many tiny little things which all add up to keep our ESRF-riddled-body functioning
that little bit better and that little bit longer...
For example, my constant veggie-diet over 44 years (in 2015) kept my body always around my own minimum weight and I am sure it also helped
to keep my body going and "my two little fighters" functioning much longer ...
... It was also always very important for me to make sure I keep myself as fit as possible
and over many years I have gone for walks whenever possible... and I still keep up with it ...
... Perhaps all that has helped over the years, together with all my other precautions...
But I always made sure that I never let my health-matters "get out of hand" and over the years I added to my well-being
by studying philosophy, literature and the history of art and all that continued to give me a good balance to "my" SLE/MCTD and kidney troubles...
... Many thanks again for the links to PUBMED.gov and www.intensivedietarymanagement.com.
Best wishes and thanks again from Kristina.  :grouphug;

Kristina
Sorry to keep coming back to this topic, but it is an important one. I don't know whether you ever had to worry about your potassium, phosphorous, calcium levels as well as such things as renal anemia which the renal diet seems to be designed to combat, however I have to say from my perspective of being someone who still eats a normal diet, just following a grain & starch based, vegetarian diet (which you seemed to have followed) sounds so much easier and simpler to me. I assume you ate lots of fruit and vegetables in general, which most people with severe CKD generally wouldn't be able to tolerate.

As for avoiding meat as a way to preserve kidney function, I was told there is no scientific evidence that avoiding meat actually helps to preserve kidney function, and that it may cause more harm than good with lowered albumin levels as well as worsening anemia. Before CKD, I actually followed a vegetarian diet for a few years but developed iron deficiency anemia & rather than eat massive amounts of tofu to counteract this, I realised that the doctors were right about women of childbearing age needing enough iron through red meat. So I gave up vegetarianism.

kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2015, 12:47:19 PM »

Hello Athena,
Fortunately I had no problems with potassium, phosphorous, calcium levels etc. and my blood-tests have been perfectly alright so far
(touch wood it continues like that...!)
I also don’t eat lots of fruits or vegetables at once and my food-portions have always been rather small and varied.
...I was never told that a vegetarian diet would preserve my kidney function...
But I was assured that an easy digestible vegetarian diet would assist my body to cope a little easier despite my fragile kidney function...
... The point of an easy digestible veggie-diet in my case is really to avoid any aggravation to my body with “heavy” food...
I was also told by this Professor that it is important for me to keep my body as calm as possible with easy digestible food,
in order to give my body and my fragile kidney function a better chance to cope ...
I also avoid any food containing Soya because of my allergies and I also have always been allergic to garlic...
I do hope this information could assist a little and if you have further questions please feel free to ask...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 12:48:54 PM by kristina » Logged

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2015, 01:53:56 PM »

As for avoiding meat as a way to preserve kidney function, I was told there is no scientific evidence that avoiding meat actually helps to preserve kidney function, and that it may cause more harm than good with lowered albumin levels as well as worsening anemia. Before CKD, I actually followed a vegetarian diet for a few years but developed iron deficiency anemia & rather than eat massive amounts of tofu to counteract this, I realised that the doctors were right about women of childbearing age needing enough iron through red meat. So I gave up vegetarianism.

I was diagnosed at 9 years old and reached ESRD at 49. I never followed a special diet, other than attempts to reduce sodium in adulthood. As a child, I was encouraged to eat a high protein diet. I think progression to ESRD and any effects of diet modifications, or anything else for that matter, are patient-specific. I was even prescribed high doses of ibuprofen as a teenager with no apparent affect on my kidney function, and my nephrologist has had me on a regular dose for many years, following a DVT about 15 years ago. What might make a difference for one patient might not matter for another.

I think this is why there are so many varying reports from the medical community. One professional might say to restrict protein because that person is following a patient(s) for whom it seems to make a difference. For another professional, maybe the same dietary restrictions don't show a difference in progression, just because the patient(s) react differently to identical dietary conditions.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
Athena

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2015, 05:21:39 AM »

Hello Athena,
Fortunately I had no problems with potassium, phosphorous, calcium levels etc. and my blood-tests have been perfectly alright so far
(touch wood it continues like that...!)
I also don’t eat lots of fruits or vegetables at once and my food-portions have always been rather small and varied.
...I was never told that a vegetarian diet would preserve my kidney function...
But I was assured that an easy digestible vegetarian diet would assist my body to cope a little easier despite my fragile kidney function...
... The point of an easy digestible veggie-diet in my case is really to avoid any aggravation to my body with “heavy” food...
I was also told by this Professor that it is important for me to keep my body as calm as possible with easy digestible food,
in order to give my body and my fragile kidney function a better chance to cope ...
I also avoid any food containing Soya because of my allergies and I also have always been allergic to garlic...
I do hope this information could assist a little and if you have further questions please feel free to ask...

Thanks again Kristina. You were/are lucky indeed to not have had to worry too much about those electrolyte imbalances ... These imbalances are so much about what kidney patients seem to battle with. It just goes to show how individual we all are.

When you described eating easily digestible foods that keep you calm & avoiding heavy foods, it reminded me of times in the past when I was ill and needed to eat this way as well. They were times of cold & flu with digestive complaints, when there was no possibility of eating fried foods or heavy things like meat and eggs due to a natural revulsion caused by a threat of nausea. It would seem then that being in a fragile state of kidney function may replicate that same vulnerable feeling? I find this very interesting. It doesn't sound like you've battled with much nausea or reactions as a result of your way of eating though.

Keep up the good work!

kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2015, 06:07:25 AM »

Thanks again Athena for your kind understanding of the logic behind my eating every day an easy digestible vegetarian diet in "my" ESRF.
Having started with dialysis last December, I still continue with the same vegetarian diet and - according to my regular blood-test-results -  it still serves me well...
... When we are in ESRF, our body is chronically very fragile and needs special care and by eating an easy digestible (vegetarian) diet I feel that I can assist my body quite a lot ...
Being in ESRF is a similar scenario like the one you described when we are going through a cold or flu, the difference is,
that in ESRF our body is chronically very fragile and the situation is much more serious...
... and it serves us well to accommodate that situation to our best knowledge with whatever suits our frail body best......
You are right, I never had to battle with nausea and/or bad reactions (touch wood it continues like that!) and perhaps I am lucky there,
or perhaps it is due to my diet all along...?  :grouphug;
Best wishes and good luck from Kristina.
Take care.

P.S. Before I forget to mention it:
My vegetarian diet has always kept me very slim through all those years
and my regular walks have kept my body over many years as fit as is possible in ESRF and perhaps that has helped ...
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 06:32:19 AM by kristina » Logged

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Old Fool

« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2017, 08:19:13 PM »

I'd say the ginger massage therapy is utterly worthless, but there are several peer-reviewed studies that suggest the oral consumption of ginger--say 500 mg/day--does have renal-protective properties. 

Two words: Inevitable and irreversible
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »