I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:24:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  Serene1 Introduction
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Serene1 Introduction  (Read 4769 times)
Serene1

« on: February 16, 2014, 03:58:22 AM »

Hello brothers and sisters of the wonderfully dreadful cleaning systems our bodies are subjected to 3 times a week or more. My name is Serene i am 24yo i have been on dialysis for almost 3 years 3rd march this year will be my 3rd year. I live in Australia as i know this is an American site which unfortunately i haven't found any decent support sites in Australia in regards to dialysis and sometimes i could use a good venting and ranting session, so i am very happy and thankful to be accepted here lol :). I guess i should start by saying my renal issues developed when i was a baby and i had a transplant when i was 4yo which lasted 17 years and now i am back on dialysis which i do at home and makes my life sooo much easier as i study full time and in my last year. I am currently studying bachelor of biomedical science, which i bet a lot of you are thinking why i would want to subject myself to more medical trauma then what i have been exposed already, lol i guess i love learning about the human body and the way it functions and i am very involved in my health and i am very vocal about my treatment with the team that look after me. I do heamodialysis 3 times a week for 6 hrs each session at home. I love my degree but also relieved to be finishing this year as it has been quite stressful. when i graduate i would love to work in a diagnostic lab such as histology (study of tissues) or anywhere that will accept me and gain as much experience as i can. I enjoy going out with friends and doing normal things people do and ye i guess that's pretty much it so feel free to chat or vent or whatever and would love to get to know people and how your going and coping with everyday life living with the machine that replaces or removes unwanted waste in our life.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 04:24:45 AM »

:welcomesign; to IHD.  I'm sure that you'll find this site most helpful and also be able to support others as well.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 05:06:16 AM »

Hi Serine1...

Warmest welcomes to IHD....

Visit and post often... Let's get to know each other....

Again, welcome, and thanks for stopping by....

Darth, Moderator...

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 07:00:50 AM »

Hello Serene, and  :welcomesign;!

I live in Australia as i know this is an American site which unfortunately i haven't found any decent support sites in Australia in regards to dialysis and sometimes i could use a good venting and ranting session, so i am very happy and thankful to be accepted here lol :).

Although an American run site, with predominantly American members, you'll find quite a few of us are scattered all over the globe (including a lovely bunch of folk from Australia)!  I'm in England.  :ukflag;

It's lovely to have you join us ... I'm sure that with your experience and educational background you'll be an invaluable member.

;D

Poppylicious, Moderator

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 06:17:53 PM »

G'day Serene1,

Plenty of us aussies on the site so don't feel like you're alone here and it's not all about Obamacare!! :)  :ausflag; (see, they even found a flag for us since there's so many of us here :) ).

I wanted to congratulate you (sorry that sounds really  condescending of me but I don't mean it that way at all!) on taking such an active self interest in your own situation and being involved in YOUR care!! I see so many CKD patients who just give in, or think they have no influence, or no voice, or just leave it all to the docs and nurses.... yet I found being my own advocate and interested in my hemo treatments, lab results, post tx care, whatever to be vital to my own wellbeing - as I love to annoy people with "nobody  cares about my body more than I do!" so good on you.

You've had a tough road living with this since birth, and despite the beauty of a transplant through most of your childhood/young adult years I am sure there have been struggles along the way, and now back on the dreaded D.. no fun at all for a young person - specially studying hard at uni and all that and having to deal with "the machine" and the restrictions and all that crap when your mates just want to be partying and all that.

I have no doubt you can make a great addition to the community here and it's great you've joined up. So vent away, educate us, amuse us, and in term, receive support from those here who have been there, done that, got the tshirt and can empathise more than most with where you're at.

cheers,
Richard

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Serene1

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 10:23:59 PM »

Hi everyone thank you very much for your warm welcomes.  I am not sure how you guys cope with being dialysis and doing normal things everyday but I guess for me I sometimes feel overwhelmed and frustrated as my diagnosis has never been confirmed but the major culprit is my vascular anatomy as I was born premature ( 2 months early) and therefore my veins never developed properly to allow my kidneys to receive any significant blood flow, it started as acute and turned into chronic renal failure. I guess my situation is ironic because I am now using my veins as a form of renal function which has led to a plethora of issues with my fistula which is very frustrating and inconvenient. My fistula has gotten blocked twice and is now fully stented from the artery, anastomoses to the out flow veins. I am not sure if doctors in the USA are putting stents in fistula which is pretty much the same technology used in cardiac stents however I am needling through the stent which is a very bitchy process. Also my blood pressure is chronically low which is uncommon in renal patients and normally sitps at 90/50 and on really bad days 60/30 and yes I am still alive and conscious lol. I was just wandering if anyone here is suffering from similar symptoms of low blood pressure and fistula issues and if their is any advice you could please give me I would really appreciate it  :thx;

cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 01:59:59 AM »

Hi Serene1 and  :welcomesign; to IHD.

I am so sorry to hear of your struggles, but you seem to have retained your sense of humour and you have a delightful writing style. I had a transplant as a child also, and a second transplant in 2010.

I cannot answer your questions about dialysis, but I know many people here can. You might want to start a new discussion with these questions in the General Dialysis section where you'll have a much better chance of people seeing it and responding.

I look forward to getting to know you better and hearing about your success in the biomedical field. :)

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 09:25:55 PM »

Hi again Serene1... must be that low BP that must make you more Serene..... maybe not.

Ironically it's usually the higher BP that causes kidney issues, but your story underlines how each case is different!!!

[EDITED: you already did what I had suggested here :) ]

Yes, this whole CKD thing is very frustrating for all of us - even people like me currently transplanted and doing OK. We hear ya!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 09:27:49 PM by RichardMEL » Logged

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 03:30:11 PM »

Hello Serene...

just to tell you that your humour certainly will serve you well in coming years....

I send you my best wishes and good luck from Kristina...

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Serene1

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2014, 07:21:11 AM »

Hi krista so sorry about the late reply been busy thank you very much my mouth does get me into trouble sometimes lol but thank you and good luck and best wishes with your health endeavours if you don't mind me asking how are you going and coping with everything?
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2014, 10:38:17 PM »

:welcomesign; Welcome to ihd, Serene1! I am my husband's carepartner for home hemo using the NxStage System One S Cycler. My husband has been doing dialysis since last September and we've only been doing home-hemo since December so, you've got way more experience than we do. Sounds like you are adjusting to it better than some (meaning "myself"), or at least as well as anyone can be expected. Your good attitude and humor is uplifting! Hope to see you on here often!

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »