I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 03:34:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  AWAK stands for Automated Wearable Artificial Kidney: peritoneal dialysis
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: AWAK stands for Automated Wearable Artificial Kidney: peritoneal dialysis  (Read 7952 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: February 15, 2014, 09:47:18 PM »

The FDA approves trial for wearable artificial kidney - looks like it will begin soon.

What is AWAK?

AWAK stands for Automated Wearable Artificial Kidney.

How does AWAK work and how is it different from current treatments?

AWAK is based on peritoneal dialysis, one of two forms of dialysis that the majority of patients are medically eligible to receive.

In peritoneal dialysis, dialysis fluid (or dialysate) is pumped into the peritoneal cavity, a space in the abdomen (stomach area) that surrounds the abdominal organs. Toxins and wastes are then cleared from the blood through the peritoneal membrane, the lining of the abdomen or peritoneal cavity. The peritoneal membrane acts as a filter to remove impurities from the blood while at the same time preventing important components of the blood, such as the red and white blood cells and proteins from leaking out into the dialysate. In essence, the peritoneal membrane serves the same function as the normal kidneys, which act to filter out impurities from the blood and excrete them in the urine.

After several hours, the used dialysate containing the blood toxins is then drained from the abdomen and replaced with new fluid to restart the process. For patients who undergo peritoneal dialysis, this process is normally done at home several times per day after a period of training at a dialysis center.

With the AWAK device, patients will continue to have dialysate fluid placed into their abdomen. The major and most important difference from peritoneal dialysis is that patients being treated with AWAK do not have to regularly replace the dialysate. This is because the dialysate is continuously regenerated by the AWAK technology. As such, the dialysate within the machine can be replaced once every 2-3 months. The device is also portable, allowing patients to have much more freedom of movement and to pursue activities they enjoy with much less restriction.

The AWAK machine can also be disconnected for several hours at a time, allowing patients to pursue any activity they would otherwise be medically cleared for, including swimming and intensive sports!

One other advantage of continuous dialysis through the AWAK device is that blood toxins are constantly being removed at a steady rate. As such, patients may be less likely to experience such symptoms as nausea and tiredness that can occur after haemodialysis treatments, when the blood contents and toxins are suddenly removed over several hours.

Who can use AWAK?

AWAK is appropriate for any patient with end-stage kidney disease who can receive peritoneal dialysis. Patients who are not able to receive peritoneal dialysis for any reasons, e.g. prior abdominal surgery or infection/scarring, are similarly not suitable for AWAK therapy. Most patients who require dialysis are able to receive peritoneal dialysis.

I’m currently on haemodialysis, is it still possible to use AWAK, which is based on peritoneal dialysis?

Yes, with the consent of your kidney doctor (nephrologist). As long as your doctor agrees that you are a candidate for peritoneal dialysis, the doctor will arrange for a simple operation where a small cut is made in the abdomen so that a catheter (tube) can be inserted. The AWAK device will then be connected to the catheter. The catheter is securely held in place and cannot become dislodged. Similarly, it is not noticeable under clothing and does not limit your physical activity when disconnected.

What about reliability? Is it safe to use AWAK?

Yes. AWAK will go through the different stages of human clinical trials for safety, efficacy and effectiveness. AWAK will be fully reviewed, approved and licensed by the appropriate authorities, including the U.S. Federal and Drug Administration and the European Union CE System. In addition, AWAK Technologies had successfully obtained the ISO 13485 systems by SGS in September 2008.

Do I need to control my diet and water intake if I were to use AWAK?

No, although you should still follow a diet that is medically sensible for you.

Are clinical trials in process?

Clinical trials are scheduled to start in 2014.

Will I be able to travel long distance (e.g. by airplane) with AWAK?

Yes. With a wearable dialysis machine, you will be able to continue dialysis wherever you are or whatever you are doing. For rigorous exercise or such activities as swimming, you can even disconnect the AWAK for short periods of time, up to several hours.

Will I still need to attend regular medical appointments while using AWAK?

Yes. You will still need to meet with your physicians regularly. If your AWAK therapy is going well, appointments with your kidney physician (nephrologists) may only be once a month.

http://www.awak.com/wearable/faq.htm

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 10:15:23 PM »

Too bad I can't do PD.. I'd sign up in a heartbeat

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 11:35:47 AM »

I am confused.  I thought that that account entente recently were for the WAK not the AWAK, or were they both recently approved for trials.  The WAK is a hemo dialysis, whereas the AWAK is a PD machine.

http://www.nephrologynews.com/articles/110030-fda-approves-trial-for-wearable-artificial-kidney

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 06:06:38 PM »

Yeah, I think I added to the confusion as one news story had a link to AWAK when discussing FDA fast tracking.
And the AWAK website lists 2014 as the year it begins clinical trials.

The WAK is mentioned here, and is blood based. http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=30679.0

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 09:54:46 AM »

Too bad I can't do PD.. I'd sign up in a heartbeat

Me too.   :stressed;

Dman73

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 08:25:14 AM »

I guess it would be fun going through the airport security check by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA). You better have a Dr's letter explaining what it was.

hd 73
tx  87
hd 01

by the yard life is hard by the inch it's a cinch...
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 06:43:58 PM »

Even with a note you'd never get past TSA. They'd say it was a new type of bomb. I assume they would advise against flying while it was hooked up since they probably haven't tested it at high altitudes.
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 11:34:52 PM »

Even with a note you'd never get past TSA. They'd say it was a new type of bomb. I assume they would advise against flying while it was hooked up since they probably haven't tested it at high altitudes.

People fly with PICC lines. People fly with colostomy bags. Dialyzors fly with catheters and PD fluids today. I don't think the TSA is much of an issue.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 06:53:18 AM »

The TSA is a problem for me. My name is on that invisible list that you can't see and can't get your name off of. I guess I must be a terrorist and don't know it. Last time I tried to fly (years ago) they called the cops when I tried to check in.
Bungarian

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 07:21:49 AM »

I thought awak was a radar plane?
Dman73

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 10:44:11 AM »

The last time I flew (4 years ago) was to attend a wedding and because I had hip replacements I was segregated from the main line and put into a Plexiglas enclosure and where they did a thorough search with wand and pat down before they let me board the plane. 

hd 73
tx  87
hd 01

by the yard life is hard by the inch it's a cinch...
kevno

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2014, 02:33:04 PM »

Peritoneal dialysis? I was on CAPD for over 12 years. Only had two peritonitis episodes both times I was in hospital, with the nurses doing the exchange's? Every long term renal patient I have known who started on peritoneal dialysis. Have had to go on to haemo. In my case I was not getting a good dialysis at the end. So had to go on Heamodialysis. One year on Heamodialysis, I was diagnosed with EPS which is a side effect of long term peritoneal dialysis. I had to have my peritoneal removed. Which I would not recomend for any renal patient. In hospital for six months, plus 8 operations. Still not over ESP yet, plus never will be.  My point is this sort of dialysis is OK if you are using it only short term.  But you can never tell when or if you are going to get a transplant.
EPS : Encapsulated Peritoneal sclerosis

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »