I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:53:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  Liberty Cycler Draining hassles
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Liberty Cycler Draining hassles  (Read 3384 times)
Uptownlifer

« on: March 26, 2014, 10:35:00 PM »

So I've been using the Fresenius Liberty cycler (new to dialysis) for about three months and can never get any adequate sleep because I have to wake up and usually stand up to allow the fluid to be drained properly. Today my PD nurse told me the machine should be located approx 12" lower than where I lie in bed for it to properly work. Has anyone else been given this suggestion? I saw all the training vids and pics of other peoples set up on this site, and they don't appear to be setting very low. Any help is much appreciated.  On another note, Friday I will be flying from Cali to Georgia. And taking the machine with me- diets time- let's see how well this goes... I already placed my delivery order for our resort weeks ago. Should I pack a manual bag or two?
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 01:00:29 PM »

I used the Baxter system, and did not have an issue with it being about the same level as I was. I did have some issues with a negative UF from time to time, but we solved that with a manual drain before I disconnected in the morning. That was only a problem for about 6 months, then my team changed my RX to have me come off with 2L in the morning. The drain 3 hours later got all the rest off.

As for your question about taking a manual bag, I always took one with me in the plane. A nuisance through security, so allow the time. But I had a bag if there was some mixup with the delivery at the distant end.

Have a great trip!

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
Sammiegrl

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 12:56:10 PM »

Hi!  I am also using a Baxter cycler and the rule I was given was that the top of the machine should be within 6-inches above to 6-inched below the top of the bed.   When we first set it up, it was a few inches too high, so we lowered it a little, to about 2-inches below the be,d and I've had no problems.  As far as your drains go, have you tried changing positions while lying in bed?  I was having some drain pain at first, so my PD nurse advised me to try different positions.  I found that sleeping on my right side, at least during the drain cycles, stopped the  pains and I always get better drains.  My catheter is in my right lower abdomen and so If I am not laying on my right side during drains, I often get the "turn-over-dummy" alsrm (AKA low drain voleume alarm).

No matter how bad things can seem or how awful I may feel, I always remember that  many people face challenges much worse than mine.  I do the best I can and appreciate what I've got.

Sam
http://samspdblog.weebly.com/
April 1, 2013 Peritoneal Dialysis ( Baxter cycler)
Almost on the transplant list.....
Uptownlifer

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 08:32:41 PM »

Thanks for your feedback. I am now in Georgia, getting ready to set up my machine and guess what.....I didn't bring any cassettes, and I already used the single manual bag I brought on the plane with me! I feel like a twerp. I could've sworn the delivery people would also deliver cassettes with my solution boxes. So I called Fresenius in a huff and when they rechecked the order I placed, I never asked for cassettes. Now my lame brained self gets to pay $370 for a delivery tomorrow! Live & learn. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »