I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 02:19:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  9mm handgun with the least recoil
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 9mm handgun with the least recoil  (Read 5696 times)
Bungarian

« on: January 20, 2014, 07:26:32 AM »

I am looking to get a new 9mm but with my fistula on my right hand I want one with the least recoil. Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 07:29:16 AM by Bungarian » Logged
Alex C.

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 07:44:11 AM »

Yes. Get a smaller calibre.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 09:00:32 AM »

The heavier the gun, the less recoil.   You may wish to consider something with a steel frame rather than aluminum alloy polymer if recoil is really an issue.   The 9x19 is not that hard hitting a gun, and you will probably find you can handle a polymer frame Glock 17 or 19 without difficulty.

But, that being said, I find it hard to imagine that the recoil of a 9x19 would cause problems for your arm with a fistula.   My fistula is in the left arm (radiocephallic), and I have no problems doing left handed only firing with 40s and 45s.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 09:03:08 AM by Simon Dog » Logged
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 09:18:27 AM »

I am old fashioned (and old) and prefer revolvers. I have a Rugar .357/.38 combo (POlice Special) and love it.  But for less kick I use my .22 Tauarus .

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 07:44:22 PM »

I suppose a hand grenade would be out of the question?

Galvo
KatieV

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 08:05:50 PM »

I shoot left-handed with a fistula in my upper left arm.  Haven't had any problems with the fistula because of recoil.  I really like the Ruger P95; it handles much nicer than the S&W Sigma (and the Sigma has a nasty trigger).  The Ruger has a steel slide, but the rest is polymer.  If you want an all steel, heavier pistol, I saw Ruger's new 1911 (.45 acp) on Saturday.  Don't know how it shoots, but it's on my wish list.

Obsidianom, is your .22 Taurus a revolver?  I've got one with a 5" barrel - it's a great gun!

~~~~~~~~~~~~
March 2007 - Brother diagnosed with ESRD, started dialysis 3 days later
April 2007 - Myself and sister also diagnosed with Senior-Loken Syndrome (Juvenile Nephronophthisis and Retintis Pigmentosa)

Since then, I've tried PD three times unsuccessfully, done In-Center hemo, NxStage short daily, Nocturnal NxStage, and had two transplants.  Currently doing NxStage short daily while waiting for a third transplant.

Married Sept. 2011 to my wonderful husband, James, who jumped into NxStage training only 51 days after our wedding!
~~~~~~~~~~~~
noahvale
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 08:21:39 PM »

« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 07:20:31 AM by noahvale » Logged
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 08:22:02 AM »

S&W Sigma (and the Sigma has a nasty trigger). 
The Sigma is an abomination, and often referred to as the "smegma".   If you want a S&W in the polymer frame genre, spend the extra $ for an M&P - they got that gun right.

I saw Ruger's new 1911 (.45 acp) on Saturday.  Don't know how it shoots, but it's on my wish list.
1911's are wonderful - in fact, God carries a 1911 and John Browning does her trigger jobs.  The choices of 1911s are endless.  The Ruger is a decent gun, but if you want to go all-out, you can spend thousands on a high end 1911.  My personal tastes tend towards 1911s for recreation, but I don't use a single action gun for defensive carry (I use a Glock 23 or S&W J Frame depending on how big a gun I feel like carrying)

And, back on topic - rifle shooting is right out if you have a central line cath for hemo in your strong side shoulder.   I would probably avoid rifles even if it was in my weak side due to impact and stretching of tissue - I'd be afraid of hurting the cath.    If you have a PD cath, prone shooting is to be avoided.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 08:24:53 AM by Simon Dog » Logged
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 08:59:55 AM »

MY Taurus is a revolver. Yes 5 inch barrel with great accuracy.I have a Baretta .22 semi auto pistol but its only good for killing close up behind the ear type shots. (it goes with my large trunk Crown Vic car to keep the bodies).

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 09:57:00 AM »

I found out the hard way when you go to classic car meetups and you walk around judging the old cars by how many bodies you can stack in the trunk, you get weird looks and people start edging away from you.   :oops;

MY Taurus is a revolver. Yes 5 inch barrel with great accuracy.I have a Baretta .22 semi auto pistol but its only good for killing close up behind the ear type shots. (it goes with my large trunk Crown Vic car to keep the bodies).
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 11:00:09 AM »

:rofl; :rofl; :rofl; cattlekid!

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 04:22:10 PM »

Hubby says go to gunboards.com, they can answer questions better about guns and such..

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 09:57:11 AM »

Hubby says go to gunboards.com, they can answer questions better about guns and such..
True, however, they probably lack the necessary experience to make informed comments about how gun usage relates to fistulas and catheters.
Bungarian

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2014, 01:31:39 PM »

I think I might go with the M&P 9mm. I already have a M&P 22 and really like it.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »