I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 11:26:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  What to expect at transplant pre-op visit?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What to expect at transplant pre-op visit?  (Read 3886 times)
Angiepkd

« on: January 09, 2014, 06:03:20 PM »

After almost 5 months of trying, my wonderful husband has one last albumin test before we are cleared for transplant on February 18th. He has stopped drinking soda and alcohol, lost 40 pounds, and has been working out every morning. Words cannot express how overwhelmed and grateful I am.  My question is about the pre-op appointment.  What kind of tests do they run? Is there a chance they can change their minds?  We have fought so hard to get a surgery date, I don't want to do anything to mess things up.  Can I let my poor hubby drink a beer or eat a normal meal between now and then?  I know we both have to be well - no infections or flu, but wasn't sure what the other requirements for surgery were. Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!  :beer1;

PKD diagnosis at 17
Cancer May 2011, surgery and no further treatment but placed on 2 year wait for transplant
October 2011 first fistula in left wrist
April 2012 second fistula in upper arm, disconnect of wrist
January 2013, stage 5 ESRD
March 2013 training with NxStage home hemo
April 2013 at home with NxStage
April 2013 fistula revision to reduce flow
May 2013 advised to have double nephrectomy, liver cyst ablation and hernia repair. Awaiting insurance approval to begin transplant testing. Surgery in June.
June 2013 bilateral nephrectomy.
August 2013 finishing testing for transplant, 4 potential donors being tissue typed.
January 2014 husband approved to donate kidney for me
March 4th 2014 received transplant from awesome hubby. Named the new bean FK (fat kidney) lol!  So far we are doing great!
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 07:38:31 PM »

I just went back into my record and looked at what they ran for my pre-op as the recipient, and it looks like they ran everything again. That said, don't think letting him have a beer or have a normal meal would cause him a problem. Not knowing what his issues were before, that might change things, but if everything was reasonable, shouldn't be a problem. I wasn't overly cautious about what I ate or drank in the weeks going up to the surgery, and everything was ok.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 09:09:11 AM »

Angie, I'm assuming your husband is donating to you? (If I've understood you correctly!)

As the donor I didn't change ANYTHING about how I ate or drank in the weeks leading to surgery. Granted, I was eating healthier anyway because I was following Weight Watchers, but I didn't make any special adjustments.  If he continues as he has been doing he'll be fine (and a beer or two won't hurt).

As for the pre-op, well, I don't remember. So I've just gone back and read my blog. 

Here's a linky for the pre-op post, a week prior to the Big Day.

I had another x-ray, nine vials of blood removed from my arm and another ECG. I had to breathe. And we were swabbed for MRSA. They talked us through everything that would happen and gave us the opportunity to ask questions again. Obviously we're in the UK so things may be a tad different. But there shouldn't be any reason for them to change their minds unless one of the pre-op tests comes back a bit skewy; as you've come this far and have a date I'd imagine you're pretty set to go.

If you do read my blog you'll note that we went for a big meal after the pre-op stuff and I had a cocktail ... *grin*
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 10:16:35 AM by Poppylicious » Logged

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 09:09:33 AM »

Pre-op appt is usually about making sure you'll live through the surgery. Blood tests, chest x-ray, EKG, maybe one other thing. Meet with someone from anaesthesiology to do paperwork and talk about risks. Pretty easy.
Angiepkd

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 10:47:32 AM »

Thank you all for taking the time to help! We are anxiously awaiting the call today telling us our date is set and the last test was fine. Should be any time now. If we get that date set in stone, I am going to take my husband out for a steak dinner and a beer!  I may even have a margarita myself!  Thanks again!

PKD diagnosis at 17
Cancer May 2011, surgery and no further treatment but placed on 2 year wait for transplant
May 2013 advised to have double nephrectomy, liver cyst ablation and hernia repair. Awaiting insurance approval to begin transplant testing. Surgery in June.
August 2013 finishing testing for transplant, 4 potential donors being tissue typed.
March 4th 2014 received transplant from awesome hubby. Named the new bean FK (fat kidney) lol!  So far we are doing great!
Angiepkd

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 01:59:15 PM »

Angie, I'm assuming your husband is donating to you? (If I've understood you correctly!)

As for the pre-op, well, I don't remember. So I've just gone back and read my blog. 

Here's a linky for the pre-op post, a week prior to

If you do read my blog you'll note that we went for a big meal after the pre-op stuff and I had a cocktail ... *grin*

Yes, hubby is my donor.  We received the call that we are set for Feb. 18th!  I am so happy I could cry!  Thank you for giving me a link to your blog. I went back and read many of your first year posts. You crack me up!  Probably one of the most honest accounts of what it's like to be on the donor side of things. I am glad I had the opportunity to see things from that perspective!  I am taking "our" kidney out to dinner tonite and having a drink to celebrate!  Thanks again! You are an awesome writer!   :cheer:

PKD diagnosis at 17
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 04:52:28 PM »

Oh, Angiepkd, I am so thrilled for you!  Best of luck to you both on 18 Feb; we are all really looking forward to hearing much more good news!   :2thumbsup;

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 12:02:10 PM »

Thank you for giving me a link to your blog. I went back and read many of your first year posts. You crack me up!  Probably one of the most honest accounts of what it's like to be on the donor side of things. I am glad I had the opportunity to see things from that perspective!  I am taking "our" kidney out to dinner tonite and having a drink to celebrate!  Thanks again! You are an awesome writer!   :cheer:

Awww, thanks pumpkin! I hope you had an amazing celebratory drink! Look forward to hearing yours and hubby's tales of the experience as you go through it together; it's a fabulous thing to happen.  *huggles* for both of you.

;D

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »