I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 06:29:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Infection in cath
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Infection in cath  (Read 2734 times)
Bungarian

« on: January 01, 2014, 06:43:36 PM »

Monday my cath started hurting like crazy. It hurt up in my neck like it was sore. Tuesday at dialysis they looked at it and it was red. Tuesday was the 3rd time they stuck my fistula twice without problems. I cannot believe it got infected right before I should get it out.

They wanted me to get it out the next day but I take Plavix so they could not do it. They gave me some iv antibiotics and pain meds and I get the cath out Friday.
kporter85db

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 08:05:09 PM »

Can you recall something that happened that may have infected it.

May/2010 Sulfa based antibiotics killed my already weakened kidneys, almost
Feb/2011 PD catheter placed
July/2011 Started Peritoneal Dialysis
Nov/2013 Started NxStage 5 days/week

Ken
Bungarian

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 08:10:12 PM »

No nothing that happened as far as I know. The bandage was changed each time I went to dialysis. I didn't get it wet. I have no idea.
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 03:22:16 AM »

That is why we dont like catheters overall. Even perfect care cant stop every infection. My wife had an infection and bacteremia in hers despite meticulous care.
The sooner you get it out the better. Stick with the fistula , it is much safer.

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
Bungarian

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 04:52:10 AM »

I am defiantly ready to get it out. I am nervous about getting it out tomorrow because they say that it is just pulled out. It already hurts from infection so how will that feel?
Shaks24

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 05:24:51 AM »

Tell them to give you something so that you feel nothing. Maybe a local anesthesia.

Congestive heart failure 2011
Currently about 19% Kidney Function
September 11, 2013 PD Catheter and Fistula Surgery
September 27, 2013 Started PD
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 08:08:19 AM »

If it has been in a long time it is best to numb around it. It really comes out easily. My wifes last one just came out with a very gentle tug. If it has been in for a few months or more it will need more pull on it , so a local infiltrate of anesthesia around it will make it comfortable.  My wifes first one was in over 10 months and she barely felt it come out.   Good luck.

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
Bungarian

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 01:42:56 PM »

The problem with mine is because of infection it does not just hurt where it enters the skin. It hurt up in my neck and even touching my neck hurts. It is very sore. I don't see how a local could numb it.
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 01:51:52 PM »

Ask for some IV fentanyl for pain before they do it or IV versed. That catheter should be taken out ASAP. It really is not a big deal to pull it. It mainly is in the veins anyway so the only pain comes from the skin attachments around the base.

Bungarian

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 06:38:16 PM »

The bad news is they did not get me scheduled to get it out today. Good news is it does not hurt anymore so I hope it is getting better.
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 08:18:25 PM »

Catheters are the pits!

Galvo
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 03:37:37 AM »

Often when they're infected, they slide out really easily... To be disgusting about it, the slime created by the infection lubricates it very well... When Mum got an infection in hers, as soon as they snipped the retaining suture, it just slid out on it's own... The doc had to move fast to catch it!...

Best of luck!....

Darth....

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
Sugarlump
Elite Member

10 years on and off dialysis

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 06:27:11 AM »

The biggest problem with an infection in a catheter is it can spread very quickly into the bloodstream and affect other parts of the body.
That is why catheters are universally not liked by Doctors.
The infection can come from anywhere, including your dialysis unit.

Hope they sorted it. Really should have come out the first day you had symptoms, regardless of the drugs you were on.
They rarely bleed much when they come out.

10 years of half a life
3 years HD 1st transplant Feb 08 failed after 3 months
Back to HD 2nd transplant Dec 10 failed after 11 months
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
Back on HD (not easy to do that third time around)
Fighting hard (two years on) to do home HD ... watch this space!
Oh and I am am getting married 1/08/15 to my wonderful partner Drew!!!
The power of optimism over common sense :)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »