I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 02:55:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  permacath and physical activity
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: permacath and physical activity  (Read 4912 times)
justme15

« on: December 28, 2013, 07:13:26 PM »

well, my days on PD may be numbered.  I think in the next few weeks I will probably have to have my PD cath removed and replaced with a permacath so I can get HD.  are there any physical restricitions with the permacath?  my job can be pretty physical at times ( heavy lifting) and I'm afraid that it might damage the catheter.  Does anybody have any thoughts on this?
Sugarlump
Elite Member

10 years on and off dialysis

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 11:05:40 AM »

Depends on where they plan to site the permacath line (Usually from under the collar bone dangling down the chest relatively central)
You will need to make sure you don't catch it or squeeze against it when lifting. I am surprised you still have the strength to do heavy lifting???

If you feel well, some people do maintain a physically demanding job but the longer you are on dialysis. the slower you get usually... good luck  :2thumbsup;

10 years of half a life
3 years HD 1st transplant Feb 08 failed after 3 months
Back to HD 2nd transplant Dec 10 failed after 11 months
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
Back on HD (not easy to do that third time around)
Fighting hard (two years on) to do home HD ... watch this space!
Oh and I am am getting married 1/08/15 to my wonderful partner Drew!!!
The power of optimism over common sense :)
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 01:00:07 PM »

Do you have a fistula planned? You can use the catheter for a few months but realistically you will need a fistula or graft soon. Catheters are really not permanent and high risk long term. The sooner you get a fistula surgery the better. It still takes a few months for it to mature. There are fewer restrictions with a fistula as you can shower and get wet easier. Catheters for hemo are NOT the same as PD catheters as they access your blood stream directly and usually go into the heart or the vena cava so any cotamination can be lethal. WE used one for a few months until the invariable infection ocurred leading to bacteremia and was quite serious. That infection occurred even with strict care on my part as a doctor. Its just the nature of the beast as they say.
So my advice is work to get a fistula ASAP . Its safer and better.

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
kporter85db

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 01:36:59 PM »

My catheter hangs on the right side of my chest. I was doing some overhead plumbing work a few days after I had the catheter put in and it was quite sore that night. If I am laying on my back in bed and I lift my right arm up my catheter flops around and sometimes it stands straight up. Sometimes it gets irritated from this and hurts.

All that said. I think I could do some heavy lifting without any negative effects as long as I took reasonable care. My Doctors gave me no real restrictions.

I shower every day. I use a 4x4 Tegaderm with a 2x2 gauze underneath. The bottom third of this never stays stuck to me but I just take care not to shoot water up into it. But I let soap any water run down over it regularly.

May/2010 Sulfa based antibiotics killed my already weakened kidneys, almost
Feb/2011 PD catheter placed
July/2011 Started Peritoneal Dialysis
Nov/2013 Started NxStage 5 days/week

Ken
justme15

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 01:46:47 PM »

thanks for the replies everyone! the permacath will be temporary.  Either I will resume PD once my infection clears, or I will stay on HD if they can't put in another PD catheter.  I'd say 80% of my job is not that physical, but for instance now, I am treating a quadriplegic who requires total assistance to move.  I wonder if using my arms to lift will dislodge the catheter?  I'm in the process of looking for a less physical job, but I wish I didn't have to.
kporter85db

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 03:46:47 PM »

I'd say 80% of my job is not that physical, but for instance now, I am treating a quadriplegic who requires total assistance to move.  I wonder if using my arms to lift will dislodge the catheter?  I'm in the process of looking for a less physical job, but I wish I didn't have to.

I wouldn't think this would be a problem for you. Maybe if you mention this to the surgeon who puts in the catheter he can suture it a little more secure.

May/2010 Sulfa based antibiotics killed my already weakened kidneys, almost
Feb/2011 PD catheter placed
July/2011 Started Peritoneal Dialysis
Nov/2013 Started NxStage 5 days/week

Ken
Angiepkd

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 08:11:54 PM »

I have had a catheter for the last month and was given no restrictions except keep it dry.  Not that I am the most physical person, but I do load and unload firewood with no problems.  I am not sure that compares to caring for a quadriplegic, but I would think you could do it with caution.  I have a problem when I sleep.  It itches where it comes through the skin, and sometimes I wake up trying to scratch it!  I am nervous I will pull it out while I am half asleep.  Other than that, and hating taking baths, I have had no real problems. Good luck!

PKD diagnosis at 17
Cancer May 2011, surgery and no further treatment but placed on 2 year wait for transplant
October 2011 first fistula in left wrist
April 2012 second fistula in upper arm, disconnect of wrist
January 2013, stage 5 ESRD
March 2013 training with NxStage home hemo
April 2013 at home with NxStage
April 2013 fistula revision to reduce flow
May 2013 advised to have double nephrectomy, liver cyst ablation and hernia repair. Awaiting insurance approval to begin transplant testing. Surgery in June.
June 2013 bilateral nephrectomy.
August 2013 finishing testing for transplant, 4 potential donors being tissue typed.
January 2014 husband approved to donate kidney for me
March 4th 2014 received transplant from awesome hubby. Named the new bean FK (fat kidney) lol!  So far we are doing great!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »