I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 02:39:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Epogen harm
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Epogen harm  (Read 2328 times)
Wizard

« on: March 13, 2007, 02:41:18 PM »

If you or another patient has been harmed by EPO refer to www.dialysisethics.org an overuse of Epogen is associated with heart damage.  Corporate dialysis facilities have been over using this drug for profiteering and heart damage in some dialysis patients have occured.  Hit the "contact us" on the dialysisethics.org web page for the toll free telephone number and speak to Arlene who will refer you to a legal department for help.
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 04:14:35 PM »

Many of the worst symptoms of dialysis, such as utter and perpetual exhaustion and hypersomnia, come from the fact that patients are severely anemic.  While the normal hemoglobin level for males is 140 to 170, the average renal patient has a hemoglobin target of about 120, which has to make them extremely tired all the time.  EPO, which is necessary to provide anything even approaching a normal hemoglobin level for dialysis patients, unfortunately has side-effects and has been known to increase the chances of heart attack, strokes, and clotting.  The only alternative to EPO is a transplant, which is getting increasingly difficult to obtain, given that the number of dialysis patients is now rising much faster than the rate of organ donation, or blood transfusions, which are themselves dangerous, since the purity of the blood supply is never 100% certain, and transfusions raise the patient's anti-body level, making a successful transplant more difficult.

So what is a nephrologist, a drug company, or a patient to do with respect to the dilemma posed by this alternative between a dangerous drug and a debilitating medical condition?  Assessments of the risk/benefit balance are necessarily subjective, since for some patients, having enough energy to live well now may be worth the increased risk of a heart attack or stroke, while others may prefer a greater security of a longer life, even if that life is made much less valuable by low hemoglobin levels.

In short, I don't think this is a promising case for class-action tort lawyers to make a bundle.  Old-fashioned ambulance chasing may be less remunerative, but it is more likely to produce results.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 05:19:14 PM »

Even if there was "damage"  how do we know exactly it is from the Epogen? 

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 07:54:55 PM »

Even if there was "damage"  how do we know exactly it is from the Epogen? 
Excellent question, Goofynina.  What's the answer?
I am from a culture where we don't sue doctors/hospitals, and class-action is unheard of (except from US ads and programs).

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »