I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 07:35:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Quick Nutrition
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Quick Nutrition  (Read 8202 times)
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« on: February 07, 2006, 08:18:06 AM »

I posted this at a different thread, but decided that it deserved its own post.  "NEPRO"

When I was really sick with that "Steroid Withdrawal" and had no appetite, my Dietition recommended "Nepro."  She gave me several cans and it saved me.  I was NOT hungry and could not even think of food, but knew better than to starve.  I could open a can and sip on it and I knew I was getting all the nutrition I needed.

It is made for Dialysis Patients.  As with anything, you may want to talk to your stupid Doctor or Dietition.

They do have a website:  http://www.ross.com/   then click on Product Handbook at the top and then type in Nepro in the search and it should come up and you can read about it.

You can order as little as 1 six-pack for $13 and that includes shipping.  The number in the United States is 1-800-986-8502.  :D
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 08:25:24 AM by Rerun » Logged

Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 08:23:32 AM »

I posted this at a different site, but decided that it deserved its own post.  "NEPRO"

:o :o :o Different website? or different thread. Your not cheating on us by going with another sexier website are you?

:P

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 08:25:53 AM »

What are you talking about?  Can't you read?   >:D >:D >:D

Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 08:27:04 AM »

;) Nice save.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Panda_9

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 04:10:45 PM »

I got 50 something drinks for $20. You guys really do get ripped off over there!
Bear

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 05:37:11 PM »

Yeah, I got them too, Amber.  THe dietician gave me a couple of 'freebies' to try, then I got a box.
They were a real life-saver, when I was first on P.D. & really didn't fell like eating

waves...Bear
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 06:12:08 PM »

Rerun, do you know if it's normally covered by insurance?

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
Panda_9

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 02:22:23 AM »

I couldnt even stomach the nutrition drinks  :( I even got to the point where I couldnt even stomach water! Took 5 or so admissions and trips to emergency for the doctors to realise that I was sick!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 08:06:37 PM by Rerun » Logged
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 08:09:00 PM »

No, it is not covered by insurance.  But, it is a meal for $2.60.  I think it is a great deal.  My appetite has diminished, so I'll drink one of those and have peace of mind and I like them.

Amber, that was before dialysis that you felt that sick.  This drink is for dialysis patients.  I was the same as you in the beginning.  They finally did something when my husband (now ex) couldn't wake me up one morning.  (he probably wishes he would have left me asleep)  >:D
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 08:11:53 PM by Rerun » Logged

Len

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 09:06:11 AM »

Move to Canada   Nepro and ensure plus is free for patients  I'm addicted to the stuff , a can a day for 6 years now
Panda_9

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2006, 06:16:48 AM »

No, it is not covered by insurance.  But, it is a meal for $2.60.  I think it is a great deal.  My appetite has diminished, so I'll drink one of those and have peace of mind and I like them.

Amber, that was before dialysis that you felt that sick.  This drink is for dialysis patients.  I was the same as you in the beginning.  They finally did something when my husband (now ex) couldn't wake me up one morning.  (he probably wishes he would have left me asleep)  >:D

It was actually while I was on PD that I was very unwell, as it just wasn't working well enough. The dietition got me the drinks because I wasn't eating or drinking.

One day I fell asleep while I was on the machine (as you do), and my fiance had to literally shake the daylights out of me to wake me up LOL Poor thing, scared the crap out of him. I am usually easy to wake.
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2006, 02:10:14 PM »

When I'm out on location filming, I use Zone Perfect bars.  They tend to be low in potassium and moderate in phosphorus, depending on the flavor.  I use the Fudge Graham mostly, which has 80 mg of potassium, 150 mg phosphorus, 16 grams of protein, and 210 calories.  I usually need to drink a little water with it -- too dry otherwise.  But it's great for on the go!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 09:43:39 PM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2007, 10:09:31 AM »

Rerun, I checked on this again today, and the price is $70.00 for 24 cans - where did you see $13.00?

http://rosstore.com/search.cfm?department=Home&OrderId=0&Category=&SubCategory=&search=yes

Joe died July 18, 2007
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2007, 10:16:17 AM »

My dietician said BOOST extra is as good as NEPRO is, and much less expensive!!
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2007, 10:20:14 AM »

Joe's dietician said he could use Boost also, but it's SOOO high on potassium it has me concerned... it just doesn't seem right.

Joe died July 18, 2007
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2007, 10:22:50 AM »

Sara, if Joe's dietician said to go ahead and use Boost, I would. At least for now, it's SOMETHING
for him to eat, ya know?
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2007, 10:29:50 AM »

True.  Plus he's had such a problem with fluids I'm hoping that if he uses that for his morning fluid allotment it might help (he drinks 1 Boost for breakfast right now).

Joe died July 18, 2007
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2007, 11:16:28 AM »

It's a stopgap. Hopefully when he begins PD his appetite will come back. Mine did, with a vengeance!!
Woo!! (Too much so!). PLUS!!! He gets to have MORE protein!!! LOTS of it!!! I do like that part!
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2007, 11:37:10 AM »

Unfortunately, a lot of older patients who have gotten used to taking Ensure before dialysis continue taking it afterward.  This is a dangerous thing to do, however, since it has twice the daily recommended dose of sodium per can as well as four times the normal dialy dose of potassium!
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2007, 02:24:13 PM »

there are some out there that are not too bad ZOIC is one brand that is not high in potassium-only 240 mg

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2007, 07:47:50 PM »

Sara, I buy a case at a time ($51.50) by calling the 1-800 number 1-800-986-8502.  The $13 price was for a six pack. I'll have to call tomorrow and check on this price.  If it went up THAT much I'll quit.  I'll post more later when I find out.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 07:53:07 PM by Rerun » Logged

Chicken Little

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2007, 08:00:26 PM »

Move to Canada   Nepro and ensure plus is free for patients  I'm addicted to the stuff , a can a day for 6 years now

I'm pretty sure patients are getting this free at my dialysis clinic, in the US.  Maybe there is some medicare or low income program that assists with it?  There are boxes of Nepro being carried out as people leave though, and as far as I can tell no money is changing hands.  I wondered what Nepro was.  People are always begging for the Butter Pecan kind.   I'll have to give it a try.  I'm not a good protein eater. 
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2007, 01:08:36 AM »

I'm pretty sure patients are getting this free at my dialysis clinic, in the US.  Maybe there is some medicare or low income program that assists with it?  There are boxes of Nepro being carried out as people leave though, and as far as I can tell no money is changing hands.  I wondered what Nepro was.  People are always begging for the Butter Pecan kind.   I'll have to give it a try.  I'm not a good protein eater. 

Make sure the Butter Pecan is chilled really good.  The next best thing to a milk shake.  I LOVE the Butter Pecan.  Yummmy   :D

BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2007, 08:40:01 AM »

When I'm out on location filming, I use Zone Perfect bars.  They tend to be low in potassium and moderate in phosphorus, depending on the flavor.  I use the Fudge Graham mostly, which has 80 mg of potassium, 150 mg phosphorus, 16 grams of protein, and 210 calories.  I usually need to drink a little water with it -- too dry otherwise.  But it's great for on the go!

Just to add they have recently revamped the taste on most of their bars.  They didnt taste bad before but now they taste pretty good.  Almost like a candy bar. ;D

Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2007, 12:44:17 PM »

You can buy NePro for $51.50 (includes shipping) if you are ON dialysis and are affiliated with a Dialysis Center.

It is $70 if you are a renal patient not on dialysis yet.  Dialysis patients get a discounted price.    :clap; :clap;

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »