I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:28:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  TRIBUTES FOR MEMBERS LOST
| |-+  Tribute For Bill "Epoman" Halcomb
| | |-+  What was Read at the Service by Kitkatz
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What was Read at the Service by Kitkatz  (Read 18148 times)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« on: March 10, 2007, 03:39:46 PM »

Here is a copy of what I read as a member of IHD.com at Epoman's funeral.  I hope noone is offended that I used your words in commemorating his life.

Hello My name is Katherine. I am known by another name, Kitkatz on a web site called Ihatedialysis.com.  This web site gave me hope as a dialysis patient.
IhateDialysis.com has over 800 members and over 2900 posts. It has become the biggest dialysis message board and site for patients on the web over the last two years it has been on line.  It is growing daily. Bill “Epoman” Halcomb left a legacy.

His site introduction says:
Welcome to a site for patients by patients. I started ihatedialysis.com to stop having my posts censored or deleted by corporate run or sponsored dialysis sites. I created the site for myself and others to have a voice on the internet free from censorship. Do not let the sites name fool you, we are not about being negative, we just hate dialysis. We are a community that is very supportive of each other and we help new patients and veterans of this disease cope with the daily struggles of living with kidney disease. If you are affected by kidney disease you are welcome here, that includes all types of dialysis Hemo, PD, Home, or maybe you will soon be starting dialysis. If you are a spouse, relative, friend, or a loved one you are also welcomed here. Also if you work in the dialysis field you too are welcome here on this site. So come to our forums and have a look, we are the biggest and most active dialysis message board on the Internet. Before you check out the forums have a look around our home page and see all the things we have to offer. See you in the forum. - Epoman, Owner/Admin

I have some thoughts from our IHD.com family:

From Livecam in California
Bill singlehandedly did more for our community of patients than any other individual one can think of.   
Because of his work, renal patients around the world are better informed and have more of a global sense of community than they have ever had before. They have been educated, informed, and comforted in a way that just never existed before.

JBeany in Michigan
The world is missing one more superhero now.

Bill Peckham who travels all over the world
Any time you write it’s just a snap shot of what you’re thinking at that moment and you risk being misunderstood. Epoman took his kidney journey in public and took us along for the ride. That took guts.

MelShell in Georgia
I'm writing here because I've realized that only my IHD family, aside from his own family who knew him personally, can know what a great loss we've suffered. Epoman's passing is yet another example, or re-affirmation of why this community fills such a need in all of our lives as we go through what we do in dealing with this disease. We all knew him because he reached out to us through his personal battle, and he knew and understood what each of us was facing because he was facing it himself. And through his passing, we are forced to face our own mortality yet again. Epoman continues to educate us even in his passing.  My lesson: To take pride in those that we love; he was sooooo proud of his son and talked about him constantly. To encourage, educate, and engage those around us-draw them out and learn from their experiences, as well as teach them through your own. To leave an important legacy, so that your dreams and your work continues on after you are gone. And, finally, to speak your mind-not to judge or to be judged by others, but so that your voice will never be quieted. My sincere hope is to do utmost justice to a great man that was admired and loved by many. I think the greatest honor we all can bestow upon him is to ensure that IHD continues, thrives, in loving memory as he wished.

Jill D. in Michigan
Bill has left a great legacy with this site and the people he has helped all over the world. I have often thought that the most important thing we can do in this life is to help others.

Meinuk in New York City
EPOMAN spoke of IHD building his self esteem.  It is hard for me to think of him as needing to build his self esteem, as he was the consummate professional, a patient's advocate, a font of knowledge and a loving father and husband on top of it all.  He was at the top of his game, could he ever know how many people were influenced by the choices that he made in life?
He didn't go to medical school, but he educated patients.

He didn't work for Microsoft, but he created a digital home/school for hundreds of people. (soon to be thousands - he planned for the future)

He didn't go to business school, but he created a marketplace.

EPOMAN was self taught.  And then he founded a forum to teach us.  That makes him a great man in my eyes.

IHD is a living memorial to Bill Halcomb.

Great people do great things, and judging by this site, Epoman was one of the greatest.

Renal1
I am not a renal patient, but an employee in the renal industry.  Although I have been directly working with renal patients for 12 years, I feel this site, with Bill's leadership and guidance, has given me more insight into the real lives and feelings of dialysis patients than anything I have ever experienced.

The baton has been passed on to us to keep his I hate Dialysis.com community thriving and strong.

The Man I Never Met
Written by Kitkatz

We never met face to face in life
You were my friend anyway.

We often spoke over Skype
Or we talked on line.
Or we posted messages
To pass the time.

I never met you.

We talked about the disease
That brought us together
With many, many people.
You told of your experiences.
I told of mine.
Together we made it through
A few rough spots in our lives.

I never met you

You had thirteen years on dialysis
To my eight years.
I looked up to you as my role model.
If he can do 13,
I can get up and do mine.
I guess eventually
I will surpass your number.

I never met you

You and I,
We had plans
To get together.
I will go anyway.
In your memory.
I lift my cup of ice chips
To you!

I guess I am never going to meet you.
You are still my friend anyway!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 05:53:03 PM »

Thank you so much, Kitkatz, for sharing that with us.  And thank you too, for being our voice at his funeral. :thx; :thumbup;

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 05:56:32 PM »

Thank you kit.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

billoggblog

You Dialyse to Live....You Don't live to Dialyse!

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007, 05:57:34 PM »

Thank You KitKatz.

Yesterday is History..........Tomorrow is Mystery..........
Today is a Gift...That's why they call it Present.
Chicken Little

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007, 06:14:54 PM »

Thank you Katherine.   :thx;
charee
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 06:33:46 PM »

Thanks Kitkatz

Home Hemo  18 months
Live donor transplant 28th October 2008
from my beautiful sister
Royal Prince Alfred Sydney Australia

Live donors rock
Meinuk

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2007, 06:45:41 PM »

Thank you Kitkatz.  You were our voice today.

Research Dialysis Units:  http://projects.propublica.org/dialysis/

52 with PKD
deceased donor transplant 11/2/08
nxstage 10/07 - 11/08;  30LS/S; 20LT/W/R  @450
temp. permcath:  inserted 5/07 - removed 7/19/07
in-center hemo:  m/w/f 1/12/07
list: 6/05
a/v fistula: 5/05
NxStage training diary post (10/07):  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=5229.0
Newspaper article: Me dialyzing alone:  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=7332.0
Transplant post 11/08):  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=10893.msg187492#msg187492
Fistula removal post (7/10): http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=18735.msg324217#msg324217
Post Transplant Skin Cancer (2/14): http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=30659.msg476547#msg476547

“To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of thought.” - Henri Poincare
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2007, 07:05:58 PM »

Thanks KitKatz, for speaking for all of us. Your words were beautiful. I know this has been so difficult for you.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2007, 07:07:03 PM »

Thank you-thanks for saying this, and thanks for posting this.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 02:56:54 PM by glitter » Logged

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2007, 08:19:24 PM »

:grouphug;  Thanks Kitkatz. That was beautiful.      :cuddle;

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2007, 11:18:13 PM »

Thankyou very much kitkatz, that was very nice.

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
anja

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2007, 01:39:01 AM »

Thank you Kitkatz for being our spokesperson at such an important event !    I am sure you did a wonderful job, though I am sure it was difficult for you.  Our thoughts were there with you.  Anja
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2007, 07:14:18 AM »

:thumbup;  Thanks Kitkatz.
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2007, 09:02:27 AM »

:thumbup; :thumbup;  Thanks Kitkatz.

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
Ginger

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2007, 10:41:30 AM »

Thanks Kitkatz. You made a sad day more beautiful.
kelliOR

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2007, 01:37:43 PM »

kitkatz,

Thank you for standing for all of us in tribute to Epoman.   

Shoot for the Moon.....Even if you miss, you'll end up among the Stars ........

Denied PKD for years (Boy, was I good at it!)
Dragged kicking and screaming to dialysis (in center hemo)
Transplant from a friend March 24, 2006 at OHSU
jedimaster

Stainboy is....alive!!!

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2007, 02:31:33 PM »

:thx; :thx; :thx; :thx;
Lucinda

Life is great!

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2007, 03:07:33 PM »

Thanks Kit.  You have so much going on in your own life and that was a terrific thing to do for everyone here. xxx

Jill D.

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2007, 04:03:39 PM »

Thanks KitKatz for representing us in expressing our feelings for Epoman and for sharing with us.

Diagnosed with FSGS in1990.
Started hemodialysis in April 2006.
Received a new kidney from my sister on Dec. 5, 2006.
Transplant rejection in March, 2009
Approved for second transplant in May 2009
Sister-in-law approved as donor in Dec 2009
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2007, 11:15:57 PM »

I think reading this at his service was one of the hardest things I have done.  Those people did not know me and I had over 800 people I was representing and I wanted to do a good job.  I also wanted to honor my friend.  Thank God I have been involved in Toastmasters this last year and have gotten into public speaking.  I knew what to do with my hands while I spoke and hope I did not look like an idiot. 

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2007, 08:56:57 AM »

I am sure you did a great job, I was very grateful that some people here were able to go and represent the rest of us.....many,many of us were with you in spirit.   :cuddle;

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2007, 10:10:59 AM »

I could not help but think the souls and spirits that were there on Saturday, rocked the house!

lifenotonthelist.com

luckaholic

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2007, 09:08:08 PM »

That was so great of you to read that out kitkatz. It was awful for me to come back here after some time off to find out this. Im sure you didnt look like an idiot!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »