I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2024, 02:20:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  advice for me about home hemo?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: advice for me about home hemo?  (Read 5412 times)
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« on: December 24, 2013, 06:01:15 AM »

ive been thinking about doing Home Hemo. (PD has been tried twice, and not an option)
Does anyone have any advice for me, opinions, anything?
I want to know as much about it as i can, especially from the patients view.
Thank you

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 07:25:54 AM »

There is such a differance doing NxStage 5 times per week at home compared to 3 times per week in center. You get more dialysis and FEEL a LOT better. My wife is a different person on it compared to original in center. It is less harsh , gentler dialysis without the numerous days off that allow fluid to build up. It allows you to be a little less stressed by water intake as you get more days to take it off slower. It is far more comfortable also. My wife actually feels better during and after each treatment.
Nxstage doesnt take  up much room and the supplies dont either.  It really is a better way to go. You have control over what you do and the way you do it.
If you have any specific questions , just ask. We have been doing it a year and a half. WE would never go back to in center.

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 07:48:25 AM »

If you do Pureflow the stock is about half of PD, System One is about the same. There is no comparison to how you feel with in-centre, cos you feel way better. Diet, drink is as great as on PD.
I learned a lot about setup, the needed space, buttonholing etc. from YouTube

Love, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 08:27:13 AM »

Don't constrain your considerations to NxStage 5/6 days or 3x/week conventional if doing home hemo.   An option that is not always offered is conventional every other day.   This can make for a more liveable lifestyle that gives you more than one free day a week, with less beating on the fistula.   There is debate as to the qualify of outcome of NxStage daily vs every other day conventional, but it's pretty much universally accepted that 3x/week sucks.  The NxStage daily treatments are not the equivalent of conventional treatments, though total dialysis over the course of a week is.

Nocturnal is an even better option for quality of result.

NxStage is a wonderful machine and great technology, however, don't let their very effective marketing prevent you from investigating the other options as well.    One thing about the Baby K - it is more involved setup that NxStage since you have to do the line setup manually (the NxStage uses a cartridge).

My doc has about a 50/50 split of patients on the NxStage and BabyK, however, I was the first one who requested every other day Baby K.   There was some concern as to his ability to get it approved (Fresenius), but that turned out not to be a problem.   I am now on a 4x/week schedule - three days for 4 hours and one for 3, so that I can always have certain days of the week off due to my work schedule.

Always leave a little bit of needle showing when canulating to avoid "hubbing the fistula" (leaving it crater like with more difficult scabs).  I got this bit if info from one of the Stuart Mott presentations on canulation.

Waiting for the Fresenius NxStage killer.   If it is all rumor has it to be, I would be wary of holding NxStage stock when it comes out.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 08:29:49 AM by Simon Dog » Logged
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 09:07:01 AM »

Don't constrain your considerations to NxStage 5/6 days or 3x/week conventional if doing home hemo.   An option that is not always offered is conventional every other day.   This can make for a more liveable lifestyle that gives you more than one free day a week, with less beating on the fistula.   There is debate as to the qualify of outcome of NxStage daily vs every other day conventional, but it's pretty much universally accepted that 3x/week sucks.  The NxStage daily treatments are not the equivalent of conventional treatments, though total dialysis over the course of a week is.

Nocturnal is an even better option for quality of result.

NxStage is a wonderful machine and great technology, however, don't let their very effective marketing prevent you from investigating the other options as well.    One thing about the Baby K - it is more involved setup that NxStage since you have to do the line setup manually (the NxStage uses a cartridge).

My doc has about a 50/50 split of patients on the NxStage and BabyK, however, I was the first one who requested every other day Baby K.   There was some concern as to his ability to get it approved (Fresenius), but that turned out not to be a problem.   I am now on a 4x/week schedule - three days for 4 hours and one for 3, so that I can always have certain days of the week off due to my work schedule.

Always leave a little bit of needle showing when canulating to avoid "hubbing the fistula" (leaving it crater like with more difficult scabs).  I got this bit if info from one of the Stuart Mott presentations on canulation.

Waiting for the Fresenius NxStage killer.   If it is all rumor has it to be, I would be wary of holding NxStage stock when it comes out.
There are other big advantages to Nxstage. It is portable . It uses FAR less water then the other types, so if you have a well like we do it puts no strain on it. It is easier and quicker to set up and break down after. Also you have a dedicated 24 hour phone line to the techs who can talk you through any issue immediatly. There is no waiting if you need immediate help.
I am not a shareholder in Nxstage, just a doctor who likes the system and uses it.
You can do every other day oin Nxstage. There are many ways to use it. It can be used as little as 4 times per week up to 6 or 7 times per week. The new faster dialysate speeds allow more flexibility.
My wifes numbers are now at the point that she has the BUN of a real kidney after treatment. She was at 15 the other day post treatment , which is like a healthy kidney.   So we have seen how effective it can be with the correct settings .
I agree any home system is better than 3 days per week standard in center. I just like the ease of use and less harsh dialysis on Nxstage.

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 12:03:30 PM »

There are other big advantages to Nxstage.
You forgot to mention "no need for a dedicated 20A circuit".
nursey66

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 12:05:00 PM »

My Hubby decided to stay with the in center treatments. He checked out the Next Stage, his Neph was all for it. But ,he decided he didn't want all the time needed to set up and tear down,  problems that can occur with alarms, etc, [ he gets frustrated quickly when the computor doesn't work perfectly ] , cleanning, and all the supplies sitting around the house as a constant reminder of dialysis. Every one is different, and he likes visiting with the nurses & other patients. Our center is only a 5 min. drive away so very close to our house. I know Next Stage is better ,you have that control, but for now, it seems he doesn't want to deal with it. He likes having the days off totally away from dialysis, even chooses to go late in the afternoon for D because his mornings are also free. He generally goes to bed soon after its over, gets done around 7PM. Just anouther point of view and experience from a wife.By the way, I am a nurse and did offer to help him with the Next Stage stuff. Maybe that's why he chooses not to use it ??? 
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 01:00:52 PM »

There are advantages of both in-unit and home, and some if them have been described by others.  However, I personally feel that the downside of doing home is far outweighed by the benefits.  I love the fact that I am dialyzing at home in comfort and warmth.  I have my iPad, laptop and smart tv, and my chair is super comfortable. I choose when to do it.  if I am not having a comfortable treatment, not feeling well etc., I can easily stop easy as I know that tomorrow I will be dialyzing again.  You are generally required to have a care partner, but I am a strong proponent for doing as much for yourself as you can.  It is my issue and therefore mine to deal with.  I do everything myself and that is the way I like it, although I know others have different views on this.  For us, it causes a lot more stress and anxiety, and I have total control about when I do it and not rely on a time that is convenient for my husband. (I know that you are recently engaged and It could put pressure on the relationship).  It is empowering being able to take charge of your treatments.  Good luck and feel free to PM or post if you have further questions.

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
Hemodoc
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 11:35:54 PM »

NxStage, Baby K, FMC PAK, Baxter Vivia?

Currently, the only two options are NxStage and the FMC Baby K.  Let's start there for now.

NxStage when set up properly hardly ever alarms. Yes, it is time consuming but most believe that NxStage is 90% less work. You need no Reverse Osmosis system, no special plumbing, no electrical system upgrades. NxStage utilizes ultrapure dialysate which means it has lower bacterial content that conventional systems such as used by the Baby K. That alone grants reduced inflammation and probably reduced mortality benefits.

The only advantage of the Baby K is higher dosage of dialysate than the NxStage System One. However, NxStage now has available an upgraded version which gives higher dialysis dosages. The current system has a maximum dialysate flow rate of 12 L/hr, the new System One will be able to handle 18 L/hr or 300 ml/min dialysis flow rates which places NxStage at the early plateau of dialysate clearances. Looking at the dialysate solute clearances, that will approximate conventional dialysate clearances which reduces the Baby K solute clearance advantage. In addition, the length of dialysis treatments may be the most important aspect given the superior survival in Japanese patients who utilize low flow but longer duration sessions than what is used in America.

http://www.hemodoc.com/2011/04/understanding-the-nxstage-filtration-fraction.html

If you look on page 20 of the following pdf file from FMC, you can see a picture of what the PAK looks like.

(http://www.fmc-ag.com/files/120109_JPMorgan_SanFrancisco_final.pdf)

It will utilize sorbent technology to re-cleanse the same water cyclical throughout the treatment starting with about 10 L of tap water. It is not yet FDA approved. It- achieve "near ultra-pure" dialysate as seen in the second link by Dr. Agar.  Dr. Agar summarizes the other options currently in development quite well on his website. There are other systems in development not yet disclosed by a variety of companies in the US and internationally that will come to light in the next few years. Technology is our best hope of obtaining universal optimal dialysis options.

http://www.renalsolutionsinc.com/howitworks.html

http://www.nocturnaldialysis.org/technology_whats_coming.htm

The NxStage is not at all lacking in it's ability to compete in the home hemodialysis market and I suspect, but don't know with certainty that they will also have second and third generation machines in development. Clearly, the ultra-pure dialysate, the remarkable reliability of their system and their substantial customer services now in place will have to be duplicated and competed against by any new machine coming into the US marketplace.

Here is another overview from a lecture by Dr. Agar recently. It compares and contrasts the pros and cons of the NxStage, PAK and Baxter systems. Once again, for now, the only FDA approved options are NxStage and the Baby K.

http://www.health.qld.gov.au/healthpact/docs/briefs/WP014.pdf

« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 11:38:04 PM by Hemodoc » Logged

Peter Laird, MD
www.hemodoc.info
Diagnosed with IgA nephropathy 1998
Incenter Dialysis starting 2-1-2007
Self Care in Center from 4-15-2008 to 6-2-2009
Started  Home Care with NxStage 6-2-2009 (Qb 370, FF 45%, 40L)

All clinical and treatment related issues discussed on this forum are for informational purposes only.  You must always secure your own medical teams approval for all treatment options before applying any discussions on this site to your own circumstances.
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2013, 04:00:36 AM »

My clinic is a Davita.

Thank you guys!

What about the seeing drs and such, is that like it is for pd? you go in once a month or so and do blood work and see dr, etc?

How hard is it to pull ur own needles?

Do you absolutely have to have a care partner, or is it just a recommendation? if you do, can they just be there, not do anything unless there is an emergency?

How long is the training?? How difficult was it to learn? (if you have done pd , you can compare it, ive done that.)

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2013, 06:48:36 AM »

My clinic is a Davita.

Thank you guys!

What about the seeing drs and such, is that like it is for pd? you go in once a month or so and do blood work and see dr, etc?

How hard is it to pull ur own needles?

Do you absolutely have to have a care partner, or is it just a recommendation? if you do, can they just be there, not do anything unless there is an emergency?

How long is the training?? How difficult was it to learn? (if you have done pd , you can compare it, ive done that.)
You go once per month to clinic . You draw your own labs as you have access each time when you cannulate. Its very easy.
You need a care partner but just to be in the building available for an emergency. You can do it all yourself if you choose. Many people do.
Training is a few weeks. It is based on how fast you learn. It is not complicated on Nxstage. You just learn to set up and run the machine. The biggest part is the cannulating . The machine basically runs itself once you get it set up. Clean up after is only 5 minutes usually.
Read Stuart Motts stuff on cannulation . He has videos on line . You can prepare that way. Once you do it a few times you will see its  fairly easy .
The best part is how much better you should feel on more frequent dialysis. Its a big improvement and dialyisis is more comfortable each time.
Ask anything you want. We are here to help.

noahvale
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2013, 10:46:29 AM »

^
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 03:08:40 PM by noahvale » Logged
kit78

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2013, 07:48:09 AM »

I really wish I could do this at home, but have been told you have to have someone there at all times.  By dong at home, I could get back to work!  Any suggestions as to how to find a person to be around?

Inherited PKD from my Mother who died at age 52
2001 Transplant - Blessed...only on list for 4 days
2012 Lost Transplant and had Pneumonia
2012 June - started Dialysis
2012 December -  Back on Transplant list
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2013, 08:45:29 AM »

I really wish I could do this at home, but have been told you have to have someone there at all times.  By dong at home, I could get back to work!  Any suggestions as to how to find a person to be around?
I have been told there are a few people who dialyze alone. They have an emergency communicator around their necks and keep the door unlocked for emergency personnel. Its not ideal but it can be done if your clinic will allow it. If you can master all the skills to do it with Nxstage you may be able to do it. Talk to your doctor and clinic.

cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2013, 08:55:45 AM »

I had a care partner, at least according to my clinic I did.  My husband came to three of my training classes, just enough to know what to do if the excrement hit the oscillating device.  He started out sitting with me the entire time, mostly just for moral support.  Then he graduated to being in the house, but not necessarily in the same room.  Then after I got really comfortable, there were times that I would do my treatment entirely by myself.  But by that point, it was 18 months of me doing my entire treatments by myself, buttonholes were no problem, my blood pressure was entirely stable and I was taking off less than 1 liter of fluid per treatment, sometimes nothing other than rinseback. 

By no means am I advocating a nominal care partner for everyone, but there are those of us who have done it.  And in other countries, they don't train care partners at all.  The dialyzor is expected to do everything for his/herself.
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2013, 09:40:38 AM »

I agree with what Obsidionom and Cattlekid have said.  My husband is in the house, that is about it.  Any emergencies that arrive need to be dealt with straightaway and I do this myself.  I never call on him.  Good idea to have care partner initially so you can build your independence over time.  Definately ask your clinic, if there is a way around the care partner requirement.  Next treatment, why not ask if you can start cannulating yourself as this would be a great first step.  From reading your posts, I think that you would love the flexibility of home hemo.  If we can be of help further, please do no hesitate to ask.  I am such a strong proponent of home hemo, and I feel like I have done a hood job, if I have helped get one more person out of clinic and into their home.  By the way, the Pureflow unit fir NxStage, which is the most space-saving way of doing it, can just hook up to your sink or on a faucet.  You clinic can arrange to get this put in. 

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2013, 09:42:05 AM »

Just some added thoughts.

I was Carl's care partner. While the supplies do take up some space, it helps to be organized. And to that point, keeping up with ordering them also benefits from a certain amount of organization.

I cannot stress enough how wonderful it was to be able to take the NxStage on the road. We visited with our daughter 800 miles away at least 4 times a year AND went on frequent camping trips (including a week in Florida!).

Carl was able to work 10 hours a day and felt GREAT while doing NxStage. His fluid and diet restrictions were minimal. During the summer, I would stick around for set up, but then head for the pool in our backyard. I took a portable phone with me in case Carl needed something. He did once. We forgot to disconnect the drain line from the saline bag and it started to leak on him. Whoops! An easy fix, but I did drip all over the carpet!

:rofl;

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »