I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 13, 2024, 08:17:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  DaVita Strikes Again
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: DaVita Strikes Again  (Read 2660 times)
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« on: December 04, 2013, 07:04:01 PM »

apparently DaVita is going to stop accepting some private  insurances. Anyone have more information?

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 07:29:49 PM »

This usually happens when an insurer refuses to pay the full charges. DaVita can't let insurers dictate prices so they will draw a hard line unless an insurer has enough of their beneficiaries dialyzing to have the leverage to demand concessions.

What did you hear? I'd guess it is a small insurer, with few patients, getting exorbitant per treatment charges in an area with little or no competition.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 08:57:29 PM »

Bill, Denver has plenty of competition.

s
......................................................................................

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 09:02:20 PM »

Interesting - is this connected to the lawsuit in Denver against DaVita?

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 09:25:55 PM »

I have no idea. All I know is the staff at my center was told that they might get some of these full pay patients and they could have whatever time they wanted and the Medicare patients would just have to take whatever was left. ARA is opening a new center and I hope to be moved in the next two weeks.

s

Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 08:26:49 AM »

This usually happens when an insurer refuses to pay the full charges. DaVita can't let insurers dictate prices so they will draw a hard line unless an insurer has enough of their beneficiaries dialyzing to have the leverage to demand concessions.

What did you hear? I'd guess it is a small insurer, with few patients, getting exorbitant per treatment charges in an area with little or no competition.
The "full charges" are off-scale, and insurance companies generally pay some sort of negotiated rate.   I know my FMC clinic charges over $3K (list) for a single HD treatment; collected $445 from my private insurer and would accept about $245 if I were on medicare.  I recently had an out of town treatment at DaVita and they took my insurance.

My doc (medical director of a Fresenius clinic) told me a patient of his was recently traveling and that a Fresenius clinic refused him because his insurance paid too little ... so the Fresenius staff found a DaVita clinic that would treat him.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »