I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:32:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Medicare/Insurance
| | |-+  social security disability review
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: social security disability review  (Read 5525 times)
lunadatura

Fate happens, Destiny is what you do with it.

« on: November 26, 2013, 11:13:31 PM »

okay so i have been on social security disability for about 3 years and apparently its my turn for review. I filled out a 12 page application and sent it in with releases for my doctors along with contact information and a list of procedures for the past 3 years. today i got ANOTHER form to fill out about my daily routines, work, social outlets etc. I am confused since I KNOW being on dialysis is an automatic disability acceptance. Why so many forms?? Do I call the case manager and ask if she is getting what she needs from my nephrologist and dialysis center??

any one else dealt with this craziness??? :Kit n Stik;

Diagnosised FSGS via biopsy 11/2006
Started Dialysis 5/2009
hemo-dialysis except 9.09-6.10 = peritoneal then back to hemo
currently in center hemo 3x per week
Evaluation for transplant July 2010
Almost received transplant 8.13
repeated calls and admissions for transplant since then but no kidney yet
3.1.14 got ideal kidney and having exceptional recovery - creatine went from 8.5 to 1.1 in less than 2 weeks.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 08:07:54 AM »

I wrote really sloppy on mine and dumped some coffee on it.  No further questions!

Rerun, Moderator    :secret;

Shaks24

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 10:47:02 AM »

Too funny Rerun! That made my day.

Congestive heart failure 2011
Currently about 19% Kidney Function
September 11, 2013 PD Catheter and Fistula Surgery
September 27, 2013 Started PD
brandywine

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 12:10:34 PM »

Thanks. That made me laugh out loud too. Needed that today.

IgA Nephropathy Diagnosed Feb 2009
Transplant List Nov 2010
Peritoneal Dialysis Dec 2010
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 08:24:42 PM »

Someone from Social Security/Disability must have read my post.  I just got the 12 page review from Social Security in July and today got the Function Survey from disability.  Isn't being on dialysis 3 nights a week automatic for us to be on social assistance?  Not that I want that for my life but it is what I was dealt!  My job is to go every time and not skip.  If our checks were based on how many times a week we went to dialysis people would not skip.  I go every time because of fluid.  I just cannot skip.

Anyway, with all the fraudulent disability out there you would think our tax dollars would be better spend reviewing someone else.

I'm starting to think I'm being harassed because I received someone else's information from Social Security and drove all the way there and waited an hour and a half and when I took the stuff up there he was really RUDE to me so I turned him to the Headquarter office in D.C. and then .... I get reviewed.  Hmmmm

Shaks24

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 02:48:19 AM »

My understanding is that by law, anyone getting SSDI benefits is required to be reviewed periodically. They use what they call a diary date to determine how frequently you are reviewed. The diary date is determined by 1. if they expect your condition to improve and 2. your age. I would think anyone on dialysis who is 50 or older would get the 5 - 7 year diary date. Usually you are notified of this diary date on your award of benefits letter. I was on mine and it stated every 5 - 7 years. Currently Social Security is back logged by some 1.3 million of these reviews. Congress is on their case to catch this up and has allocated funding for them to do so. The most common review diaries are 1 year, 3 year and 5 - 7 years although they could do reviews at any time. There are 2 different types of reviews as well. The short form (2 pages and the long form which is much longer and more detailed). If you are still on dialysis and regularly seeing your doctors and doing treatments, it is very unlikely that your benefits would stop. The reviews are called CDRs or Continuing Disability Reviews. SSDI is spending more than it takes in. Congress will have to take action on it in order to avoid reducing benefits by 20% by 2016. That is one of the main reasons they are pressing for more timely CDRs. The CDRs weed out people who may no longer be entitled to SSDI benefits but still getting them.

Congestive heart failure 2011
Currently about 19% Kidney Function
September 11, 2013 PD Catheter and Fistula Surgery
September 27, 2013 Started PD
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 11:01:44 AM »

My husband's first wife had an inoperable brain tumor and despite the fact it was terminal, he said they frequently reviewed her and required up-to-date MRI's of her brain (as if the tumor was going to magically disappear).

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 07:29:56 AM »

I've been on disability for over ten years and never had a review.  Perhaps it's because I have heart failure, kidney failure, and chronic liver disease.  LOL.  Or it's because I'm on the teacher's union disability and not the SSI. 
I am determined to get rid of my Hep C, get a kidney transplant, and get in top shape again before I die.  It's baby steps with all the health problems, but I really want to thrive.  Check out my book on Amazon, "My Disney Side my wonder years" in print and kindle
for as low as $3.99.  I take you from day one in 1955 to present day Carsland. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »