I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:51:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  Is there a way to compare?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is there a way to compare?  (Read 3650 times)
Fisherman

« on: November 23, 2013, 08:07:39 AM »

My nephrologist only works with fresensius  centers and if I want to go to a different provider I have to change docs.  Haven't started dialysis yet, but likely within the next month.  Not sure how to pick.  The fresensius center closest to me didn't get very good marks...higher than average mortality.  Yikes.  Just not sure how to choose the right center.

Fisherman
Hazmat35

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 07:07:41 AM »

When I was getting ready to start Dialysis, I personally visited and talked with the Administrator of each facility that I was interested in going to.  In our area, there are about 10 centers that are within close driving to me from my office. 

There were a few places where I actually took one or two steps inside and walked right back out, they were down right NASTY. 

Once I came to my current center, they were so warm and friendly, and I haven't looked back yet.  I guess I lucked out.  I've heard the horror stories, but I can't say that I've had any major issues here.  We've had some bumps along the way, but nothing that didn't get worked out. 

I would recommend going to each place, and talk with the staff.  You have to develop a relationship with these people, and spend lots of time together.  If you can't get along then it just isn't going to work out. 

Brother Passed away - 1990 - Liver Disease
Diagnosed w/ Polycystic Kidney Disease - 1998
Mother passed away - Feb. 1999 - PKD
Sister passed away - Feb. 2006 - PKD
AV Fistula / Upper Left Arm - September 2009
Father passed away - September 2009
In-Center Hemo Dialysis - April 2010
Broken Knee Cap - January 2015
Diagnosed w/ A-Fib October 2017
Surgery to repair Hiatal Hernia 2018
Multiple Fistula Grams / Angioplasty's since then!

Hating Dialysis since Day 1 and everyday since then!!!!  :)
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 12:25:31 PM »

If you go the home dialysis route (PD or Hemo), the most important issues to consider are the quality of the home therapy support RN and the nephrologist.   

If you are planning on going in-center, find out what their "on times" are, show up about 30 minutes before a patient shift starts, and talk to people in the waiting room.
Hazmat35

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 09:21:28 AM »

My nephrologist only works with fresensius  centers and if I want to go to a different provider I have to change docs.  Haven't started dialysis yet, but likely within the next month.  Not sure how to pick.  The fresensius center closest to me didn't get very good marks...higher than average mortality.  Yikes.  Just not sure how to choose the right center.

I was re-reading your first remarks, about the HIGHER THE AVG mortality......I would not be too concerned with that.  Just because people pass; does not mean that it is the fault of the facility.  At my center, we had a high number of people pass away, last year, but none of them had anything to do with Dialysis or the treatments that they were getting...but they are still considered in the Mortality rating for the facility......I don't know how and why, but that is what the administrator was telling me.   Just a thought!

Brother Passed away - 1990 - Liver Disease
Diagnosed w/ Polycystic Kidney Disease - 1998
Mother passed away - Feb. 1999 - PKD
Sister passed away - Feb. 2006 - PKD
AV Fistula / Upper Left Arm - September 2009
Father passed away - September 2009
In-Center Hemo Dialysis - April 2010
Broken Knee Cap - January 2015
Diagnosed w/ A-Fib October 2017
Surgery to repair Hiatal Hernia 2018
Multiple Fistula Grams / Angioplasty's since then!

Hating Dialysis since Day 1 and everyday since then!!!!  :)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »