I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:33:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Medicare/Insurance
| | |-+  Medicare going into effect 4 month's back automatically.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Medicare going into effect 4 month's back automatically.  (Read 4085 times)
marlinfshr

« on: October 31, 2013, 09:20:06 AM »

I just had my phone interview to apply for medicare part A & B this morning. The lady called me back and said it will go into effect as of the beginning of this past August and I should receive my card in 4 to 6 weeks. My question is August? I have a current insurance policy that is good through the end of the year and has paid all my dialysis. Why should i need to pay an extra 5 month's of part b premiums for nothing really. I asked if it can be started on Jan. 1st and she said no. That since I'm on dialysis medicare has to become primary and goes back to when I would first qualify. That doesn't make a bit of sense as all those dialysis bills have been paid. Oh well, does this sound right?
Shaks24

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 09:31:45 AM »

Its medicare law. Since you trained for and did home dialysis the medicare effective date will be the 1st day of the month that the dialysis center reported as your start date. So if you started dialysis any day in August, August 1st would be your start date. I am in the same situation but happy for it. I started September 27th and my medicare start date will be September 1st. Still waiting on my card though. If you do in center dialysis then there is a 3 month waiting period for your medicare effective date. You can ask your dialysis center for a copy of the form. I did and they gave me one.

Congestive heart failure 2011
Currently about 19% Kidney Function
September 11, 2013 PD Catheter and Fistula Surgery
September 27, 2013 Started PD
KarenInWA
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 09:40:01 AM »

That happened to me, too. However, Medicare is not primary for the first 30 (or is it 33?) months if you have private insurance. My insurance through work is primary, and Medicare is secondary, until sometime next year. Then Medicare will be primary for a few months until I reach my 3-year kidneyversary, at which point, Medicare goes bye-bye for me. Unless I start back on dialysis before then.

KarenInWA

1996 - Diagnosed with Proteinuria
2000 - Started seeing nephrologist on regular basis
Mar 2010 - Started Aranesp shots - well into CKD4
Dec 1, 2010 - Transplant Eval Appt - Listed on Feb 10, 2012
Apr 18, 2011 - Had fistula placed at GFR 8
April 20, 2011 - Had chest cath placed, GFR 6
April 22, 2011 - Started in-center HD. Continued to work FT and still went out and did things: live theater, concerts, spend time with friends, dine out, etc
May 2011 - My Wonderful Donor offered to get tested!
Oct 2011  - My Wonderful Donor was approved for surgery!
November 23, 2011 - Live-Donor Transplant (Lynette the Kidney gets a new home!)
April 3, 2012 - Routine Post-Tx Biopsy (creatinine went up just a little, from 1.4 to 1.7)
April 7, 2012 - ER admit to hospital, emergency surgery to remove large hematoma caused by biopsy
April 8, 2012 - In hospital dialysis with 2 units of blood
Now: On the mend, getting better! New Goal: No more in-patient hospital stays! More travel and life adventures!
Shaks24

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 09:50:02 AM »

Only if that private insurance is an Employer Group Policy I think. If you have an individual policy, them medicare is primary as soon as your effective date. Its all so complex.

Congestive heart failure 2011
Currently about 19% Kidney Function
September 11, 2013 PD Catheter and Fistula Surgery
September 27, 2013 Started PD
marlinfshr

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 10:42:58 AM »

Actually she just called me back a little while ago to see when I would like it to start. I told her January 1st. since my current policy is good through the year. Again, it doesn't make any sense to me to start it earlier because I already reached my OOP max and extra month's (especially those that have past) would just cost me more money that I don't have. I guess I'll see when I get my first bill. Or does it automatically get deducted from my disability check. I forgot to ask.
My social worker has been telling me since I started on dialysis to wait till the end of the year to apply for medicare because I had already spent the maximum I could spend with my insurance.
appleface

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 08:23:16 PM »

Actually she just called me back a little while ago to see when I would like it to start. I told her January 1st. since my current policy is good through the year. Again, it doesn't make any sense to me to start it earlier because I already reached my OOP max and extra month's (especially those that have past) would just cost me more money that I don't have. I guess I'll see when I get my first bill. Or does it automatically get deducted from my disability check. I forgot to ask.
My social worker has been telling me since I started on dialysis to wait till the end of the year to apply for medicare because I had already spent the maximum I could spend with my insurance.
Dealing with Medicare is scary. Several years ago when I contacted the Medicare, the operators are helpless. Have to deal with them next year, since the  3 year after transplant is approaching. Scared to death that the whole thing will mess up.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »