I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:51:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Political Debates - Thick Skin Required for Entry
| | |-+  DATELINE..NBC
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: DATELINE..NBC  (Read 6943 times)
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« on: October 19, 2013, 01:32:35 PM »

Anyone else watch this show?  I love this type of show.  You know the guy is already behind bars or set free.  Kind of scary but not to where I cannot  sleep.  Although I do set my security alarm.... just in case.

Anyway, last night's show was about a guy up in the hills who killed this young man who was obviously making trouble by coming to the man's family cabin at night and shining a spot light and stealing solar lights.  The man got enough the second time this car showed up at the end of his driveway and followed them and shots were fired.  The man who was protecting his family shot the driver in the neck and he died.

The man is now in prison for 50 years.  Anyone see this?

I think the 6 young men in the car were out for trouble and even went BACK the next night to make more.....   Who should have to put up with that?

"Ain't nobody got time for dat"  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFEoMO0pc7k

Hemodoc
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 12:08:34 PM »

Rerun, what state did the incident occur. I suspect it was not Texas.

Peter Laird, MD
www.hemodoc.info
Diagnosed with IgA nephropathy 1998
Incenter Dialysis starting 2-1-2007
Self Care in Center from 4-15-2008 to 6-2-2009
Started  Home Care with NxStage 6-2-2009 (Qb 370, FF 45%, 40L)

All clinical and treatment related issues discussed on this forum are for informational purposes only.  You must always secure your own medical teams approval for all treatment options before applying any discussions on this site to your own circumstances.
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 12:57:09 PM »

Northern CA over close to NV.

Hemodoc
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 03:59:53 PM »

Sounds like this is the case you are talking about here:

Defense attorney John Ohlson said Wallin-Reed fired a warning shot from his porch to defend his wife, children and friends, who were all visiting the cabin for the Fourth of July weekend. Then he chased the car 7.6 miles up a rural road.

He was trying to identify the vehicle when shots were fired from McGuire's car, Ohlson said.

"Because they shot at him, he returned fire," he said.

Hollister said no one in McGuire's car had a gun. When Wallin-Reed began shooting at their car, they tossed out the solar light they had stolen and held a white flag out the window, he said.

After they missed a turn and began heading up a dirt road, they turned around and came to a stop. That's when Wallin-Reed drove up to the car and began firing at them.

"The defendant was not shooting at tires. He was shooting at heads," Hollister said. "When you see the amount of ammunition he had – he was ready for war. Those kids didn't have a chance."

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2013/09/04/5705142/self-defense-in-question-as-plumas.html#storylink=cpy

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/09/04/5705142/self-defense-in-question-as-plumas.html

Very hard to claim self defense when you chase another car 7.6 miles and the other car is fleeing from you. In gun circles, I suspect that there is universal condemnation for chasing these kids down and murdering the kid. Sounds like the jury made the right choice. That is NOT self defense as I have been taught and as represented in the legal code.  I don't blame the man for getting upset, but he went beyond self defense, especially in CA of all places.

Peter Laird, MD
www.hemodoc.info

All clinical and treatment related issues discussed on this forum are for informational purposes only.  You must always secure your own medical teams approval for all treatment options before applying any discussions on this site to your own circumstances.
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 04:13:50 PM »

Yes, that is is.  Also, the boys in the car terrorized the family the night before, and then came back the next night for more trouble.  AND they got it.

Hemodoc
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 05:38:52 PM »

Well, the kids probably got what they deserved, but chasing someone down and shooting at a car fleeing is not self defense. Sad story all around. The other kids probably won't go terrorize anyone again. If he had not chased them, probably would have gone in his favor since they did provoke the attack. In Concealed Weapons Classes, they teach shoot, no shoot situations based on whether someone is advancing or fleeing. There was a big supreme court case years ago where even cops are held liable for shooting a fleeing suspect unless they are a grave risk to the community.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennessee_v._Garner

Tennessee v. Garner is taught in every CCW class I have attended. Perhaps the home owner did not understand the legal aspect of self defense. Since this had happened more than once, the family should have had the cops set up a stake out instead of doing it themselves.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 05:40:25 PM by Hemodoc » Logged

Peter Laird, MD
www.hemodoc.info

Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 11:48:42 PM »

How sad that that kid lost his life for a teen age prank. But it does indicate what the country's climate is. People are tired of being afraid and that guy was afraid and then lost his temper. Sad.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 08:57:06 AM »

I agree.

Sad.   :P

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »