I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:10:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Other Severe Medical Conditions
| | |-+  Dialysis never got the chance to be really hated
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dialysis never got the chance to be really hated  (Read 14028 times)
waltswife

« on: October 06, 2013, 05:24:21 PM »

Like so many other caregivers my husband has a lot of other medical issues.  But when his kidneys finally failed is when they found stage 4 esophageal cancer.  So dialysis started, this was the end of July. So the center was nice, the staff professional.  We got set up for paratransit service and he gained some independence.  And it didn't seem like dialysis was too bad on him.  Nope, it didn't.  Chemo is what he hated.  So he would get chemo, and the next day dialysis would wash it out.  But the effects sure stayed with him.  And his blood work started looking bad.  And I mentioned that if it got too bad, he could stop.  Well Friday the center had to send him to the hospital, his hemoglobin was low.  And while sitting with him in the emergency room he had a heart attack.  And they told us yesterday it was only a little one.  So the talk about stopping chemo went from us discussing it to he's not going to do it any more.  And he was talking to the neph yesterday, who made it a point to stop in today while I was there, to discuss this decision.  Now this doc is a sweet guy, smart, caring and honest.  So we talked about hospice and dialysis, and if hospice was started for cancer then dialysis could continue.  And then we asked, what happens if we stop dialysis, how bad will he feel?  And the dr. had to gather his strength to tell us, he said going out from kidney failure isn't the worse way to go.  He said with hospice care it can be done gently.  That my husband will have some problems breathing, but morphine will help.  And that he will get more and more tired.  And one day he will go to sleep, and then not wake up.  This poor guy was almost as upset as I was, and trying just as hard to not show it. 

So tomorrow the other doctors want their chance to make sure my husband hears what they have to say, but my husband is thinking tomorrow will be his last time being on dialysis. 
Angiepkd

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 06:35:42 PM »

So sorry for you and your family!  Sending prayers and hugs!   :grouphug;

PKD diagnosis at 17
Cancer May 2011, surgery and no further treatment but placed on 2 year wait for transplant
October 2011 first fistula in left wrist
April 2012 second fistula in upper arm, disconnect of wrist
January 2013, stage 5 ESRD
March 2013 training with NxStage home hemo
April 2013 at home with NxStage
April 2013 fistula revision to reduce flow
May 2013 advised to have double nephrectomy, liver cyst ablation and hernia repair. Awaiting insurance approval to begin transplant testing. Surgery in June.
June 2013 bilateral nephrectomy.
August 2013 finishing testing for transplant, 4 potential donors being tissue typed.
January 2014 husband approved to donate kidney for me
March 4th 2014 received transplant from awesome hubby. Named the new bean FK (fat kidney) lol!  So far we are doing great!
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 08:20:49 PM »

Have you in our thoughts and prayers as you go through this.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 12:45:33 AM »

Oh, so sorry to hear. Please know we are here for you. When you need to talk or vent, come on and let us know. Prayers for you, your husband and your family.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 03:56:05 AM »

Sincere thoughts to you both.

Galvo
natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 04:12:10 AM »

What a good doctor for talking so straight with you.   :cuddle; to you both.

Natalya – Sydney, Australia
wife of Gregory, who is the kidney patient: 
1986: kidney failure at 19 years old, cause unknown
PD for a year, in-centre haemo for 4 years
Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.
Infections in June / July, hospital 1-4 Aug for infections.

Over the years:  skin cancer; thyroidectomy, pneumonia; CMV; BK; 14 surgeries
Generally glossy and happy.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
Heartfelt thanks to IHD, KK and ADB for your generosity and support.
nursey66

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 05:20:22 PM »

So very sorry. Every time we think we have it rough, someone else has it worse !!! I hate this disease !  Take care , so sad for you.
MaryJoe

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 05:55:02 PM »

I am so sorry to read this. Words always seem to desert me at times like this, but please know that my thoughts are with you both as you make these hard decisions.   :grouphug;

Whether the glass is half empty or half full is not as important as being thankful there's a glass and grateful there's something in it.
Big E

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 06:51:06 AM »

I'm so sorry that your husband (and you) have to go through this, but I agree with Natnnnat that it seems like your husband has a good doctor.

PKD diagnosed June 1996
Started in-center hemodialysis May 2010
waltswife

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 07:51:18 AM »

Thank you all for the well wishes and prayers.  Walt decided not to quit dialysis.  He said no more to chemo, he signed a DNR at the hospital, and told the heart vascular people no chest cath procedure.  He spent 11 days in the hospital to get his PT/INR up past 2.  No one has mentioned hospice yet, so he must have time left. 

But, again, thank you all.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 09:35:20 AM »

:grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
MaryJoe

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 03:12:48 PM »

:cuddle;  I'm glad Walt is out of the hospital. I'm always more comfortable at home than in a hospital. Hope you are both able to rest easier now.

Whether the glass is half empty or half full is not as important as being thankful there's a glass and grateful there's something in it.
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 07:15:43 PM »

this is rough Waltswife... I wish you well with prayers for strength and peace..
All the best dear lady to you and Walt

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 07:43:34 PM »

:grouphug;

We are all thinking of you both and are here to support you in any way that we can.  Prayers to you and to Walt.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2013, 09:28:22 AM »

*huggles*

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2013, 01:42:03 PM »

Hoping that things are going "smoothly." One day at a time....

:grouphug;

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
brenda seal

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2013, 06:35:28 AM »

My thoughts and prayers are with you ad Walt . I hope you have someone to help you find the courage to cope and support you through this difficult time . Brenda
waltswife

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2013, 08:22:53 AM »

Just an update to what's going on with my hubby.  Spent October and most of November doing the stuff we normally do.  About November 18 he started feeling some pain, so off to the doctor, get pain meds upgraded to 5 - 10 mg of oxycodene every 6 to 8 hours.  This week it got real bad for him.  Now it's up to 40 mgs every 4 to 6 hours plus a pain patch.  Or, as the doctor said, you take what you need.  And eating is just starting to be an issue, looks like it will soon be all soft food.  So today pain is all managed, and he likes peach yogurt and eggs.

I had a talk with someone from the company that runs his dialysis center, ARA.  I don't know if this is right, just my feeling, I think dialysis kind of kept his cancer a little more manageable.  Like maybe dialysis took out some of the loose cancer cells.  And, since he's in center, getting epogen, and horrible brown protein stuff has also kind of helped him.  From what I've read on the cancer forums when some people get to Walt's point, and give up chemo they don't seem to live this long.  From my uneducated and uninformed point it's like dialysis is helping him live a little longer with cancer, without the chemo and radiation side effects.  I suggested, since she works for a big company, with a lot of doctors, maybe they could research it.  I'm probably wrong, and I am sure most advanced cancer patients would hate going on dialysis, but it just seems like something that could be looked into.  And I was kind of thinking if it helped cancer patients, and more people used dialysis, that might mean more funding for dialysis, and maybe more improvements for kidney patients? 
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2013, 09:52:58 AM »

If eating is difficult, you could consider a feeding tube. That is what my wife uses since her stomach was damaged. It has worked well for 7 years and actually makes dialysis easier as her food is from a can and is perfectly balanced for dialyisis.  Feeding tubes are painless and easy to use. We do it all night while she sleeps(and eats). If you need more info, just ask.

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2013, 02:08:15 PM »

Walts wife, I really did not want to read this post, however, not so bad. Feeding tubes are an easy way to go. My husband had one for nearly 4 months. Can he eat popsicles? they are refreshing, altho, a little chilly. I wish you both the best and will keep you in prayer.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
MaryJoe

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2013, 03:10:30 AM »

Like Jean, I was a little apprehensive about reading this post. I'm glad you had October and part of November to do "normal" stuff, and that his doctors seem to be managing Walt's pain adequately for the most part.  It seems like you have a really good, compassionate medical team caring for Walt and that must be some relief and comfort. I'm still searching my brain for those magical words of wisdom that would make this all easier to bear, but so far I'm drawing a blank. (There's a reason I don't write Hallmark cards for a living!) You are in my thoughts and in my heart each day and I pray you have more good days than bad.   :cuddle;   

waltswife

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2013, 06:03:31 AM »

Well Walt is signing up for hospice.  But he is going to be able to keep going to dialysis for as long as he can.  We saw his primary care doctor yesterday to have a discussion about all that is going on.  And what Walt wants.  He asked if hospice had been mentioned, and i was rambling on about how because Walt still wants dialysis it would have to be the oncologist who said Walt could get hospice.  And the Kid (what we call the primary care doctor) said, why?  Still rambling, about how someone has to say whatever he has to say but that it wasn't kidney related.  And the Kid says terminal.  You need a doctor to say Walt is terminal.  And I said yeah.  He said, OK I'll be the one to say it. 

I joined this site because I was expecting years of learning what was going on, and sharing dialysis/kidney related stories.  Never expected to be talking cancer stuff, and I don't think I should be.  But many times I found answers to other health issues here.  I think Epoman started something great and wonderful, and I am very grateful that you were all here.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2013, 10:26:25 AM »

Well, sometimes the "health issue" takes a back seat and it's emotional support that's needed.

I am glad to hear that Walt is signing up for hospice.  It means, actually, that YOU are signing up for hospice, too, and that's a good thing.  It frees you up to do the really important work, like spending real quality time with Walk instead of having to attend to things that are best left up to the experts.  They are trained in techniques to keep him comfortable so that he can also have more quality time instead of having to use all of his energy in fending off pain.

This must be such an agonizing time for you both, but with both hospice and IHD in your corner, I hope the days will be just a little bit easier for you and Walt.

Best wishes to you both.  You are in our thoughts and prayers.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
waltswife

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2014, 06:39:39 AM »

Hi.  I'm not a smart person, and sometimes too blunt and direct.  And I followed with great interest the story on this forum of John's wife and what was happening with her husband John when he quit dialysis.  My husband Walt fell down this week.  He fell on his side that is swollen from the cancer that spread there.  So he missed dialysis, and with the hospice nurse we talked about how his center would let him make up the day.  And he might feel better later in the day or the next day.  The falls kept on coming, so he didn't make up the day.  And with a lot of talk, and discussion and soul searching he decided to stop.  He has missed 2 treatments.  To me, what I see in the difference between getting dialysis and not getting it and living is, dialysis was a struggle for him.  Getting into and out of the house.  But he enjoyed seeing people and having a job to do.  But he was scared and worried and in great pain all the time.  His last treatment was 6 days ago.  He's not all doped up, but he is in bed, with pain pills when he needs them.  And he's content and at ease.  So I am frightened and miserable, he's leaving me and our family.  But he's not scared, worried or suffering so I can't be selfish any more.  I was told many times that passing away when you quit dialysis could be gentile, but I knew from John's wife they didn't have it that way.  But it is turning out that way for my Walt.
MaryD
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2014, 04:49:26 PM »

May he stay comfortable and at peace with things.

Wishing you both lots of strength and hugs     :grouphug;
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »