I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:09:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Diet and Recipes
| | |-+  Sucralose, "Splenda" - I really think it's poison!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sucralose, "Splenda" - I really think it's poison!  (Read 5968 times)
fearless

« on: September 04, 2013, 02:54:59 AM »

Once in a while I accidentally eat or drink sucralose (aka Splenda) - and my saliva tastes sickeningly sweet for a week or even more (even just one drink will do it).  I really think this stuff is bad news for people whose kidneys don't work.  But what does that mean?  It probably means it's bad for everyone.  Wonder how many years it will take til they find out that it's dissolving people's glomeruli or something.  Really frightening.  I've seen drinks in the supermarket that are basically just water with sucralose in it.  Ever hear about animals drinking antifreeze that someone carelessly left out because it has a "sweet taste"?  Sucralose is what I would imagine antifreeze tastes like.  Antifreeze kills your kidneys.  I'm probably being overly dramatic, because I know there's no logical connection to antifreeze, but I did read that it accumulates in your liver, kidneys and digestive system.  I really resent that it's easy to end up eating or drinking this stuff before I realize it.  Foods that contain it should be boldly labelled.  Please, don't eat this stuff.  And tell all your friends!  I don't think it's good for anybody and there's just no need for it.  If you really have to have a sweet taste, go with fruit or stevia.

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 07:40:11 PM »

Sucralose has been around for many years. It was around when I was a kid in the 70's and was and still is part of many of the artificial sweetners diabetics used back then and today. There was even Fructose syrup for sweetening. The natural safe sweetner for diabetics is stevia if I have the spelling correct that is made from a plant. Splenda is made different than just sucralose. I do not like Splenda, it takes more to use to get the same sweetness I am use to from Sugar Twin, Sweet N Low, or Equal unless it is in a soda made with it. Many new diabetic's who are told to switch and people who are on a low cal kick like it, but I can not switch due to taste. I have an online article that goes over sweetners over the years and which ones were banned, but I do not think Splenda was part of that article. Since I am not home, I can not post it. It is on my external hard drive.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 07:48:53 PM »

Splenda doesn't do that for me, but anything containing aspartame does.  Can't stand that lingering sweet taste that lasts for a good couple of days.

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 08:03:39 PM »

Nutrasweet/ Equal has caused headaches in many people, but I wonder how much they are using and ingesting a day.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Weggy

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 12:36:31 PM »

Acesulfame potassium does it to me. I have a really bad sweet aftertaste. Worse part, it is in most diet/sugar free products since it helps balance the 'metallic' taste of these artificial sweeteners and make it taste more natural to sugar.

I prefer aspartame and saccharin as sweeteners.
talker

Talkers oil painting

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 03:16:30 PM »

South America that has gotten some buzz in the natural health world over the last decade. It’s name? Stevia Rebaudana, or Stevia for short. Grown in areas of Brazil and Paraguay, the stevia plant produces a natural sweetener that can be extracted from the Stevia plant leaves. The leaves themselves are 10-15 times sweeter than table sugar.
The FDA prohibited use of this 100% natural and safe sweetener in the U.S. and Europe for many years. This was probably to promote aspartame usage, a chemical sweetener that has been proven dangerous for human consumption.
However, it is now approved by the FDA, thanks to consumer demand and those who have stood up against aspartame.

The compound in stevia that produces the sweetness is called stevioside. It contains glucose, sucrose, steviol and several other compounds. Stevioside is the sweetest of all natural sweetening products, and is over 300 times sweeter than sugar. It is typically found in liquid extract or powder form.

Disease Prevention and Treatment
 So what does this have to do with diabetes and cancer?

First of all, stevia is rich in many different antioxidants. These include quercitrin and apigenin. Studies have shown that Stevia extract can protect DNA against damage by hyroxide radicals. This makes it effective as a safeguard against the formation and growth of tumors and cancerous cells.

Additionally, stevia is an excellent treatment for type 2 diabetes. Not only is it calorie free, it does not raise blood sugar. It is an insulin sensitizer, and studies have shown that it aids in glucose tolerance and usage after eating. One recent study showed that stevioside increased insulin sensitivity and reduced blood glucose in rats in the laboratory. The Japanese have used stevia as a diabetes treatment for a long time now.

As if all that weren’t enough to extol its amazing properties, stevia is also effective in lowering high blood pressure.

How To Use
 Stevia can be used to in both powder and liquid extract form to sweeten drinks, desserts such as yogurt and homemade ice cream, breakfast foods such as oatmeal, and even salad dressings to make sweet
(Remove the @, then copy and paste.)

@http://naturalhealthonline.com/this-sweet-tasting-plant-could-prevent-cancer-and-diabetes/

@http://www.thetalker.org/archives/121/118-the-daily-deadly-diet-and-you/
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 07:52:27 AM by talker » Logged

Be Well

"Wabi-sabi nurtures the authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect."

Don't ever give up hope, expect a miracle, pray as if you were going to die the next moment in time, but live life as if you were going to live forever."

A wise man once said, "Yesterday's the past, tomorrow's the future, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present."
Athena

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 07:26:02 AM »

I have tried to use Stevia and I have to say I just simply don't like the Stevia sweetness taste. Although I am a diabetic, I have no trouble eating foods with just plain sugar in it, provided it's not too concentrated in sweetness. I also take half a teaspoon of sugar (raw brown crystals) in my coffee. I have never like artificial sweetners of any kind & refuse to eat 'diabetic desserts' that are so sickeningly over sweetened with artificial sweeteners.

Find Cure for CKD now! Please like my facebook page of the same name. Thank you.
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 10:38:37 AM »

To me, Stevia doesn't taste sweet - it seems to have an "herbal" taste that creates an off flavor in anything it contains.  I just limit sweeteners as a whole because they all seem to have their pitfalls.  It's gotten to the point that I can no longer tolerate more than one bite of most desserts, which is probably the best for my waistline anyhow.   :2thumbsup;
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 06:46:53 PM »

Being a lifelong chocoholic you can be sure that I thrive on sugar.  Lots of it, in most every form.  So it is no real surprise that 6 months after starting dialysis the Dr's decided I AM diabetic and need to start taking insulin and try to cut down on both my chocolate and sugar.

This ain't no fun!

I can't stand the taste of any of the sugar substitutes.  The Wife switched 20 years ago when she was first diagnosed diabetic.  Rarely ever uses sugar.  Over the years I have railed at her to get OFF those poisons and switch to Splenda.  She did a few years ago, and looks for it, asks for it in restaurants

I did try Stevia, and was pleasantly surprised that I tolerated it, although I did mix it with regular sugar 50/50.  Which still cut my sugar consumption in half.  I should seriously think about getting another box.  But I have pretty much given up tea and instead just drink ice water.

IIRC aspartame was denied by the FDA Board, but the agency head over-ruled the Board and approved the chemical.  Months later he resigned from the FDA and took a very well paid position with Searle,  the makers of aspartame.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Chris, if you remember to find those links when you can at home, I would read the information.  I'm sure a number of these replacement chemicals are NOT good for consumption but it would be great to find evidence.

Thanks,

Charlie B
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »