I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:20:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  I keep gaining weight
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I keep gaining weight  (Read 3535 times)
Swamp Gator

Swamp Gator

« on: August 30, 2013, 07:51:00 AM »

I am on in center dialysis. I have been having a problem with my weight going up. The staff has made comments to me that maybe I am eating too much and just don't realize it. I didn't think so and wanted to get to the bottom of this situation. I went to a non-dialysis dietitian and she said I was not over eating. So I went to the leading kidney Dr in our state. He told me it was being caused by my insulin and there wasn't much I could do about it.

For the past 3 months I have been seeing the dietitians at the kidney transplant hospital. They told me my average  calorie daily intake is 784. I gave my dialysis center a copy of my report and told them hopfully this will put an end to the comments about me eating too much. All of a sudden I am putting on weight a lot faster. My friend read about a lawsuit where some of the cleaning solutions used to clean the machines will make you gain weight. Since I am addressing the staffs issues and trying to force change, my  friend thinks the unit is doing something to make me gain weight in retaliation.

Is this possible?

SG

A problem is just a challenge . . . Waiting to be conquered.
Impossibilities are just possibilities . . . Waiting to be made possible.
You can't stop the curve balls of life . . . But you can choose how you will handle them.
If God brings you to it . . . He will also bring you through it!

By Cora Lois Grody
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 09:33:01 AM »

Could it be fluid?

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
Swamp Gator

Swamp Gator

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 04:16:28 PM »

No, my fluids are under control and my BP reflects that.

A problem is just a challenge . . . Waiting to be conquered.
Impossibilities are just possibilities . . . Waiting to be made possible.
You can't stop the curve balls of life . . . But you can choose how you will handle them.
If God brings you to it . . . He will also bring you through it!

By Cora Lois Grody
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 05:39:18 PM »

There is sugar in PD solutions that cause weight gain, but I've never heard of any issues with hemo.  I lost 60 pounds while on dialysis and insulin, and I'm a lousy dieter.

784 seems like an impossibly low number for calories though.  Anything under 1000 usually leads to extreme weight loss. 

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »