I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:35:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  So what are you up to this weekend?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So what are you up to this weekend?  (Read 91187 times)
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #275 on: September 19, 2016, 04:55:13 AM »

This weekend was "Open Houses" for Londoners to visit Houses and Mansions which are usually not open to the public and today we were lucky to be allowed to visit Lancaster House which is close to St. James's Palace and much of Lancaster House was once part of the palace complex (and it certainly shows!!!), but these days it is mainly used by the government and is managed by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office to entertain dignitaries from all over the world. Lancaster House is one of the most splendid and beautiful palaces I have ever seen and it is so lucky that visitors were given a chance to visit it today on "Open House Day". Today was also the last day of the London Antiques Show and before we went to visit Lancaster House we had a walk through the Antiques Show at London Berkeley Square. We both love going to Antiques shows because visitors are allowed to take their time and study closely antique paintings by well known classical painters.
All in all it was a very inspirational and happy day. :grouphug;

That sounds like a good time to be in London! 
http://www.openhouselondon.org.uk/

When we travel we love to find special events like that.  Usually its more things like free museums on some random day of the week.  Our most fun experience was in Buenuo Aires when we happened to be there for La Noche de Los Museos, the night of the museums, where a bunch of museums, embassies and cultural spaces were open late at night around the city with dance, music and the like and free bus transfers to get around between the locations.
http://www.welcomeargentina.com/ciudadbuenosaires/museum-night.html

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #276 on: September 19, 2016, 06:22:30 AM »

Thank you iolaire!
It is truly inspirational to support such wonderful ideas like "Open House",
and it certainly made me appreciate to be alive and be able to go there.
Such wonderful experiences make it so much easier to "put up" with the three-days-a-week-treatment,
because without this regular treatment I would not have any chance to experience such wonderful days !
... I have been looking up the "La Noche de Los Museos" and was surprised to notice that the first Museum Night
took place in Berlin in 1997 and the idea has spread from there ...
Best wishes form Kristina. :grouphug;

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #277 on: October 20, 2016, 09:11:23 PM »

Disabilities Expo in San Bernardino, CA. this weekend.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #278 on: October 22, 2016, 10:54:18 PM »

My mom and I bought a membership at a local hotel to use their pool, so after doing nothing all day, we went for a swim... we're having above average temps this weekend... was 20C at 8pm.. was just weird, being out after dark and not needing a sweater....

Tomorrow is still up in the air.. we'll probably do the same as we did today.. *L*

Next weekend, though, is Nanowrimo kick off party... we usually get together and chat over some sort of food before the writing starts November 1st.. then we have a "Thank Goodness It's Over" party sometime in December, where we do pretty much the same thing... during the month, we usually have 2 write ins a week, where we get together over coffee, with our writing.. we bounce ideas off each other and have writing sprints... I've never finished a novel, and I've been doing Nanowrimo for about 10 years, but it's a lot of fun

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #279 on: October 23, 2016, 12:56:02 AM »

Wow Riki that sounds like fun.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #280 on: October 24, 2016, 06:08:41 AM »

I've never finished a novel, and I've been doing Nanowrimo for about 10 years, but it's a lot of fun

That looks like good motivation.  Do you start a new story each year or build on the previous year's work?

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Vt Big Rig

« Reply #281 on: October 24, 2016, 02:27:30 PM »

I had the privilege of assisting on a moose hunt for a young man (12 years old) stricken with cancer. He, and his mother, went out everyday from Sat through Thursday. We got him in front of a moose but he did not have a good shot so he passed. However you may feel about hunting, this is what this young man wanted. We do it every year and have met some great youngsters. Unfortunately, some are no longer with us.

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
Started with NxStage - April 2015
6 Fistula grams in 5 months,  New upper fistula Oct 2015, But now old one working fine, until August 2016 and it stopped, tried an angio, still no good
Started on new fistula .
God Bless my wife and care partner for her help
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #282 on: October 25, 2016, 06:23:37 AM »

I had the privilege of assisting on a moose hunt for a young man (12 years old) stricken with cancer. He, and his mother, went out everyday from Sat through Thursday. We got him in front of a moose but he did not have a good shot so he passed. However you may feel about hunting, this is what this young man wanted. We do it every year and have met some great youngsters. Unfortunately, some are no longer with us.

That's a very nice thing you are doing for those kids.   :rudolph;  Mmmm! Moose meat tastes just like roast beef and can feed a large number of people.   

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #283 on: October 28, 2016, 01:54:03 PM »

Today we went to one of the most unusual Vistorian places in London, a former Pumping Station built in 1865 called "Crossness" and it is most amazing!
We went there because the inside is completely constructed in decorative Cast Iron plus decorative Wrought Iron, all painted in the most wonderful colours where the visitor truly enters a Palace.
"Crossness" is of course not used as a Pumping Station any longer and it is now a listed building and run as a Charity and open to the public on certain days. The construction of "Crossness" must have cost an absolute fortune at the time and to the onlooker it appears like a celebration by the Victorians to welcome the New Age where diseases like Cholera etc., were finally left behind and "Crossness" has been built as a wonderful Palace to celebrate this fact...
...The more I learn about the Victorians, the more I like them ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossness_Pumping_Station

https://www.theguardian.com/.../crossness-sewage-pumping-station-reopens-joseph-bazalgette-cholera
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 02:06:13 PM by kristina » Logged

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #284 on: October 28, 2016, 11:12:46 PM »

Today we went to one of the most unusual Vistorian places in London, a former Pumping Station built in 1865 called "Crossness" and it is most amazing!
We went there because the inside is completely constructed in decorative Cast Iron plus decorative Wrought Iron, all painted in the most wonderful colours where the visitor truly enters a Palace.
"Crossness" is of course not used as a Pumping Station any longer and it is now a listed building and run as a Charity and open to the public on certain days. The construction of "Crossness" must have cost an absolute fortune at the time and to the onlooker it appears like a celebration by the Victorians to welcome the New Age where diseases like Cholera etc., were finally left behind and "Crossness" has been built as a wonderful Palace to celebrate this fact...
...The more I learn about the Victorians, the more I like them ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossness_Pumping_Station

https://www.theguardian.com/.../crossness-sewage-pumping-station-reopens-joseph-bazalgette-cholera

I love the little day adventures you and your husband take. Gave me something to read up on. Very interesting part of history. Thanks for sharing. Would be fun to ponder one's thoughts at a place like that. Sometimes it's the most unsuspecting of places that turn out to be the most fun.   

I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #285 on: October 29, 2016, 05:44:24 AM »

Thank you PrimeTimer, I am very glad you enjoyed reading about our little adventure and you are right, it is sometimes the most unsuspecting places that turn out to be the most fun.
We "only" wanted to visit "Crossness" because we have heard, that it has lots of decorative ironwork and that fact made us interested in visiting the place,
but we certainly did not expect to enter such a wonderful beautiful Palace...
... We try to visit interesting places on some of my off-days, in order to achieve a better positive mind-balance to the treatments...
Thanks again from Kristina. :grouphug;

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #286 on: November 20, 2016, 02:08:07 PM »

Today we have visited again some of the wonderful exhibits at the Victorian and Albert Museum and we have been there so many times over so many years, but again and again we discover little gems which had not come to our notice before. Today we discovered some wonderful stained-glass windows which were created many centuries ago, where the clothes of people in those stained-glass-windows were painted in a way that the observer could figure out what sort of material the clothes were supposed to be made of. For example the difference of a Brocade-dress and a Velvet-dress was distinctly shown in those stained-glass-windows and studying it all was most fascinating!

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
cassandra
Elite Member

« Reply #287 on: November 20, 2016, 02:20:48 PM »

Sounds lovely Kristina, I really have the inspiration now to convince Hubby to visit London again. It was the first place we went after 'madly falling in love' to visit his sister nearly 30 years ago.

1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
2020 start Gambro AK96

kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #288 on: November 20, 2016, 03:01:32 PM »

Sounds lovely Kristina, I really have the inspiration now to convince Hubby to visit London again. It was the first place we went after 'madly falling in love' to visit his sister nearly 30 years ago.

What a great idea ... and would it not also be a great idea for us to meet there and I could show you those wonderful stained-glass-windows at the Victoria and Albert Museum ?
Best wishes from Kristina  :waving;
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 03:02:37 PM by kristina » Logged

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
cassandra
Elite Member

« Reply #289 on: November 20, 2016, 11:22:03 PM »

What a great idea ... and would it not also be a great idea for us to meet there and I could show you those wonderful stained-glass-windows at the Victoria and Albert Museum ?
Best wishes from Kristina  :waving;

You ARE an inspiration girl! I'll keep pushing and will keep you informed.   :bandance;

1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
2020 start Gambro AK96

kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #290 on: November 21, 2016, 11:47:28 AM »

Great ! ... And I look forward to it and send you best wishes,
from Kristina. :grouphug;

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #291 on: January 28, 2017, 03:16:43 PM »

Hubby has to be away so I'm alone and bored. Before leaving, he bought me some of my favorite foods to snack on (that he can't eat) and a beautiful bouquet of fresh flowers. What a guy!  :-* :-*  Suppose I had better do some cleaning before he gets back. Have a good weekend everybody!

Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #292 on: January 28, 2017, 06:52:41 PM »

Mom and I set up a wireless printer today.  We managed to get her computer, my computer, and 2 of my gadgets to print to it :cheer:

I have a feeling I'll be doing a lot of work with my tablet when I go to school in the fall, so a wireless printer will most likely come in handy.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #293 on: January 28, 2017, 07:57:43 PM »

Watching the U.S. Street Nationals.  Testing Friday, Qualifying Saturday, Eliminations and Finals Sunday, LIVE

https://livestream.com/speedvideo/us-street-nationals-2017

Many remember when a ten second street car was very fast.  That car would almost be a slug compared to many of these.
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #294 on: January 29, 2017, 07:58:48 AM »

DH and I went with a couple of friends to see a Led Zeppelin cover band last night.  The band was really good and we sprung the extra $2.00 for "VIP" tickets so we actually got a table.  We got a good chuckle out of all of the folks who were coming up to the reserved tables without the correct wristbands and then getting chased out by the staff.  It literally would have cost them $2.00 extra to get a decent seat. 

I also have to thank the Illinois legislature for instituting an indoor smoking ban years ago.  It was so nice to be able to have a night out and not have to come home and take a shower and immediately throw all of our clothes into the washer. 
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #295 on: February 24, 2017, 02:25:50 PM »

Probably will do some early spring cleaning. Or maybe not. Gave hubby an extra big kiss today and giggled, telling him we need to do more of that. In almost the same breath, he said yes, we need to do more of that!  :P

Paul
Elite Member

That's another fine TARDIS you got me into Stanley

« Reply #296 on: November 18, 2017, 06:57:15 AM »

Two possibilities.
Either:
(A) This weekend I will be doing the washing.
Or
(B) Next week I will be going to dialysis naked!

Whoever said "God does not make mistakes" has obviously never seen the complete bog up he made of my kidneys!
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #297 on: November 18, 2017, 11:00:51 AM »

Two possibilities.
Either:
Or

:rofl; Bet you're real popular at the clinic.  :Kit n Stik;

kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #298 on: November 25, 2017, 07:09:42 AM »

Two possibilities.
Either:
Or

Hello Paul,
Now the big question is: what did you decide ???
... There is no doubt that you decided to do the washing because, after all, it is November and getting a bit cold outside ...
Best wishes from Kristina. :waving;

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Paul
Elite Member

That's another fine TARDIS you got me into Stanley

« Reply #299 on: November 25, 2017, 07:52:44 AM »

Now the big question is: what did you decide ???
I was hoping no one would ask that.

I was not naked this week, but I have been wearing some very old and tatty clothes. Basically, all this week I have been looking like I stole my clothing off a scarecrow.

Worst part is that it is a long time since I wore the trousers I am now wearing, and my dry weight was 4kg less back then, so they are very very tight. Not only is this uncomfortable, but there is a risk the catch will burst and they will fall down. And since the underwear underneath is similarly old and tatty, this will be a very bad thing.

Moral of the story: never put off your washing just because it looks like rain.

Whoever said "God does not make mistakes" has obviously never seen the complete bog up he made of my kidneys!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »