I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:31:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  So what are you up to this weekend?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So what are you up to this weekend?  (Read 91413 times)
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #250 on: July 20, 2016, 01:20:12 PM »

It was a strange (and frightening) experience to realize, how much dialysis can weaken a body and it shows up very clearly, when a cough comes along and suddenly antibiotics

Not sure if it's the dialysis that does it or the underlying kidney failure.  I usually have a very strong immune system and have gone years in a row without even the peep of a cold.  But since my kidneys have failed, I am much more vulnerable.  Had pneumonia last November and then just the other day had a 2-day bout with an unknown fever.  Now it's over, but I have no idea where it came from and why I succumbed at that point.

Thank you for sharing your observation, kickingandscreaming and we surely have to be on our guards with our health ...
... I was quite surprised how quickly the nurses took my blood to check-up & make sure and when the results came back, they gave me antibiotics straight away...
... everything seems to move to a different level once we are on this kind of life-support ...

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #251 on: August 07, 2016, 03:10:27 PM »

:banghead; Life can throw you a big curveball when you least expect it.  I've always been told I'd inherit half of the family wealth when my parents passed.  I'm in no hurry, I'd rather have my 91 year old mom around.
I went to visit her at her beach house because my sister was there, and she was going to help mom move into an expensive home for seniors.  Her boyfriend had lived there, and she knows the place well.  Since she's
losing her eyesight and hearing I thought that was a good call.  Well, I find out my niece is living at the beach house after a vacation at Lake Tahoe (she's rich), and she's going to buy the house for two million.  I'm told
I'll get a fourth of the wealth instead of half.  My sister's family gets three fourths.  I almost had a heart attack.  I got really mad and drove home.  After I got home I settled down and accepted the half million dollar
betrayal.  It's not like I can do anything to stop it.  It's pretty sad when your mother lies to you.  If you can't trust your mother who can you trust?  I figure I'm near death anyways so it hardly matters.  It's not like I
can enjoy the money at 63 doing ten hours of dialysis a day.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #252 on: August 07, 2016, 07:45:26 PM »

If you want to play nasty, you can litigate the will claiming undue influence, elder abuse, etc. and chances are the other side will settle rather than pay legal fees for years.
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #253 on: August 08, 2016, 04:23:01 AM »

It's a trust.  She set it up a decade ago, and never told me she changed things.  Besides the other half of my family are all top lawyers that I could never beat legally.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #254 on: August 08, 2016, 05:15:06 AM »

Realize the although your Mother does love you, the Mother/Son relationship is nowhere near as intense as the Mother/Daughter one.   Granted, you both are always her 'Babies', you are NOT a girl, and are expected to be stronger and not need quite the ? resources ? You could substitute a number of words there, but I think you get the point.

Now, for MY weekend.  Our three acre yard was seriously needing to be cut last Tuesday when we packed up my machine and supplies and went to Daughters house.  Supposedly Mom and Dau were going to have a yard sale, I was drafted to be cashier.  Fortunate for me the weather report forecast rain lasting through the weekend so there canceled.  So we puttered around not really accomplishing anything for 5 days.  Now we are home and the yard in places looks almost high enough to call the farmer down the road to come and bale it up!  Since I still haven't rebuilt the engine I smoked in my mower, I am waiting to hear from the engine supplier, it should still be warrantied, I am stuck using the Wife's mower, the Craftswoman machine.  I'm just glad I never got around to painting it pink!    I do have to admit having the sunshade top on it is nice.  But I  REALLY need to find the right governor spring so I can a bit more RPM, I just sounds and feels so S L O W compared to mine.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #255 on: August 08, 2016, 02:05:17 PM »

Not this weekend, but I am arranging to take a class in how to forge a knife out of a railroad spike.   Yes, I know the metalurgy is terrible for an edged weapon, and that the low carbon tool will not heat treat or harden, but all I'm expecting to get out of it is a fun time and a nice paperweight.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #256 on: August 08, 2016, 02:06:57 PM »

It's a trust.  She set it up a decade ago, and never told me she changed things.  Besides the other half of my family are all top lawyers that I could never beat legally.
The worst part of that is that the other side would not be thinking "the legal fees will ruin me if I don't settle".

But, in the end, it is her money to do with as she pleases so long as there has been no undue influence to advantage taken of dementia or the care relationship.

Now, I only have one kid but I could always direct part of my estate to endow a Schnauzer farm.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #257 on: August 08, 2016, 07:27:33 PM »

Not this weekend, but I am arranging to take a class in how to forge a knife out of a railroad spike.   Yes, I know the metalurgy is terrible for an edged weapon, and that the low carbon tool will not heat treat or harden, but all I'm expecting to get out of it is a fun time and a nice paperweight.

I met a Lady, half of the couple that belongs to some sort of Ironworkers group.  She told me of some of the things they have made and the weekend get-togethers the group has.  Live demonstrations of firing and working metals at different locations throughout the mid-West.  I'm told there is quite a number of their members here in Missouri.

I thought it pretty neat.   As a retired mechanic/machinist I too have many thoughts and desires to bend a little.  I think wrought iron fencing, gates, with vines, leaves, etc. would be a neat job to do.  Until someone wants a LOT of product in a short time.  Then it turns into WORK.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #258 on: August 10, 2016, 08:09:33 AM »

I met a Lady, half of the couple that belongs to some sort of Ironworkers group.  She told me of some of the things they have made and the weekend get-togethers the group has.  Live demonstrations of firing and working metals at different locations throughout the mid-West.  I'm told there is quite a number of their members here in Missouri.

I thought it pretty neat.   As a retired mechanic/machinist I too have many thoughts and desires to bend a little.  I think wrought iron fencing, gates, with vines, leaves, etc. would be a neat job to do.  Until someone wants a LOT of product in a short time.  Then it turns into WORK.

Hello Charlie, that really sounds fascinating ! Many years ago I took part in a one-day-course of ironworking and it was great fun!
I still have my specially handmade nails and the little iron-bracket I made all by myself!!!
Mind you, decorative ironwork is very hard work and I quickly realized that my body is unfortunately not in the right frame for such hard manual work...
... but it was great fun at the time and I am so glad that I spontaniously took part in this one-day-course !
Decorative Ironworking is most beautiful and very artistic and the sky is the limit in terms of what can be done with some wonderful design-ideas etc.  ...
But, as I have said before, it is very hard work and one needs a very strong body for it ...
Best wishes from Kristina.

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Blake nighsonger

« Reply #259 on: August 12, 2016, 02:39:09 AM »

Low carbon steel can be horned to create an extremely sharper edge then stainless ; true!!! ,,,just a note. Think I' ll continue price checking chain saws in Sundays paper, STHL is a good one i heard.  To hot to cut brush..... Went to boat races last couple weekends ago.                       Iron work classes would be hypnotic., Welding mesmerizes me.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #260 on: August 12, 2016, 12:55:27 PM »

I have some beautiful ironwork shaped into flowers with those shiny faux crystals on them hanging on the walls in my living room and bedroom. I hang nothing above my bed tho. Once had a glass framed picture fall down and break just as I got up out of bed. Pieces of glass everywhere. I like sleeping on a hard mattress but that was ridiculous. Anyways, haven't hung anything above the bed since. I'd be dangerous with a blow torch so welding classes are probably not a good idea. Least not for people who tick me off. Another good idea but not so probable is the chance of me doing any housework this weekend.  :rofl;

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #261 on: August 12, 2016, 01:45:14 PM »

Running single mode fiber optic through sprinkler tubing.    Geeze, what a hack (no, going cheap and not using real conduit was not my idea)
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #262 on: August 29, 2016, 12:40:08 PM »

This weekend was fascinating: At first we visited the wonderful London Music Museum and listened to many working instruments, including the fascinating Wurlitzer  ... the wonderful music provided there by many different demonstrations transfixed us into another world and we enjoyed it very much...
... and on the next day we visited the London Museum of Water and Steam and were invited to watch the 1820 Boulton & Watt Engine, the 1838 Maudsley Engine, the 1857 Bull Engine and finally the 1846 Grand Junction 90'' Engine, all shown in perfect working demonstrations at certain times (at the entrance we were given a time-plan of the daily Steam-Engine-demonstrations).
... This was a most fascinating day and we were completely taken by these wonderful Steam-Engine-demonstrations and spent the whole day there without bothering about the time because it was so very relaxing and the lecturers there were very enthusiastic and we listened to many fascinating lectures ... We also were lucky to have our lunch there and their kitchen provided us with the very best vegetarian quiche we had tasted in a long while ...  a most wonderful and very harmonious weekend ...

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #263 on: August 29, 2016, 05:16:55 PM »

This weekend was fascinating: At first we visited the wonderful London Music Museum and listened to many working instruments, including the fascinating Wurlitzer  ... the wonderful music provided there by many different demonstrations transfixed us into another world and we enjoyed it very much...
... and on the next day we visited the London Museum of Water and Steam and were invited to watch the 1820 Boulton & Watt Engine, the 1838 Maudsley Engine, the 1857 Bull Engine and finally the 1846 Grand Junction 90'' Engine, all shown in perfect working demonstrations at certain times (at the entrance we were given a time-plan of the daily Steam-Engine-demonstrations).
... This was a most fascinating day and we were completely taken by these wonderful Steam-Engine-demonstrations and spent the whole day there without bothering about the time because it was so very relaxing and the lecturers there were very enthusiastic and we listened to many fascinating lectures ... We also were lucky to have our lunch there and their kitchen provided us with the very best vegetarian quiche we had tasted in a long while ...  a most wonderful and very harmonious weekend ...

kristina: That sounds like a lot of fun! Glad you enjoyed your weekend, you are a real inspiration! Hope you continue getting out and about like that and sharing it with us.

I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #264 on: August 31, 2016, 06:32:48 AM »

Heading to Portugal for a week on Saturday.  Finally yesterday got my dialysis setup with help from the great DaVita international coordinator Gina (started process in June).  But then read the dates and realized that Lisbon is M/W and Porto on F, rather than Lisbon M/F and Lisbon W.  Had to ask if it could be changed, but if to hard the dates are MUCH better than not having dialysis setup....  Later researched that we can change our discount train tickets so moving days around should be at very low cost, maybe just 40 euros or so on non discounted train tickets..

Should be a good trip, we did the same itinerary in 2008 pre dialysis but that time it was November which is off season... But looks like our hot weather is moving over there so might be high 90* at times.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #265 on: August 31, 2016, 06:50:04 AM »

Have a great trip, Iolaire.  Sounds lovely.

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #266 on: August 31, 2016, 07:35:55 AM »

kristina: That sounds like a lot of fun! Glad you enjoyed your weekend, you are a real inspiration! Hope you continue getting out and about like that and sharing it with us.

Hello PrimeTimer and many thanks for your kind encouragement ! You know, it has happened to me quite regularly in recent months, that the next day after "D", I feel much too exhausted and much too tired to even think about any activity and this made me realize that I have to urgently do something about it, otherwise my body could eventually get too weak for the "big day" ... So I have decided to "coach" myself into doing something about it and to be quite honest, the longest way is always to finally get outside the house and from then on I just try to keep on walking...  :grouphug;

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #267 on: August 31, 2016, 08:45:34 PM »

Hello PrimeTimer and many thanks for your kind encouragement ! You know, it has happened to me quite regularly in recent months, that the next day after "D", I feel much too exhausted and much too tired to even think about any activity and this made me realize that I have to urgently do something about it, otherwise my body could eventually get too weak for the "big day" ... So I have decided to "coach" myself into doing something about it and to be quite honest, the longest way is always to finally get outside the house and from then on I just try to keep on walking...  :grouphug;

kristina: I think you are on the right track! I felt much better when I made myself get outdoors (rain or shine) to walk every day. I was stronger and somehow never caught colds or the flu bug from people. I'd even go out in freezing weather and people would think I was crazy but I'd go outside for a short while to get fresh air and believed it helped me. Somewhere along the line I got out of the habit so need to start all over again. 

iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #268 on: September 01, 2016, 05:47:00 AM »

Have a great trip, Iolaire.  Sounds lovely.
Thanks.

One other thing that I remembered is usually when I show up to a center they know I'm coming but not a lot of details about for how long.  I have W in Porto scheduled now, so should I not get confirmation on M/F instead of M/W in Lisbon I should just be able to tell them on Monday that I'm coming back on Friday...

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #269 on: September 01, 2016, 06:24:36 AM »

Heading to Portugal for a week on Saturday.  Finally yesterday got my dialysis setup with help from the great DaVita international coordinator Gina (started process in June).  But then read the dates and realized that Lisbon is M/W and Porto on F, rather than Lisbon M/F and Lisbon W.  Had to ask if it could be changed, but if to hard the dates are MUCH better than not having dialysis setup....  Later researched that we can change our discount train tickets so moving days around should be at very low cost, maybe just 40 euros or so on non discounted train tickets..

Should be a good trip, we did the same itinerary in 2008 pre dialysis but that time it was November which is off season... But looks like our hot weather is moving over there so might be high 90* at times.

Have a great time Iolaire, I love Portugal. I used to dialyse in Faro and was pleasantly surprised about their flexibility.
We'll be there in October but on Nxstage. Is Nxstage not a possibility for you?

Wishing you a great time!

Love and luck, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #270 on: September 01, 2016, 06:38:04 AM »

Have a great time Iolaire, I love Portugal. I used to dialyse in Faro and was pleasantly surprised about their flexibility.
We'll be there in October but on Nxstage. Is Nxstage not a possibility for you?

Wishing you a great time!

Love and luck, Cas

I've always felt I was close to a transplant so didn't consider PD or in-home, now 2.8 years later I realized that maybe is should have just bit the bullet....  If I didn't feel dialysis was short term I'd be signing up for Nxstage immediately.

cassandra
Elite Member

« Reply #271 on: September 01, 2016, 06:47:17 AM »

I've always felt I was close to a transplant so didn't consider PD or in-home, now 2.8 years later I realized that maybe is should have just bit the bullet....  If I didn't feel dialysis was short term I'd be signing up for Nxstage immediately.

To be honest, I remember reading a post from you, that you might be under dialysing? Starting Nxstage is no hassle at all (in the US isn't it?) It could very well keep you physically much better for your transplant.

:twocents;

1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
2020 start Gambro AK96

kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #272 on: September 01, 2016, 07:20:39 AM »

kristina: I think you are on the right track! I felt much better when I made myself get outdoors (rain or shine) to walk every day. I was stronger and somehow never caught colds or the flu bug from people. I'd even go out in freezing weather and people would think I was crazy but I'd go outside for a short while to get fresh air and believed it helped me. Somewhere along the line I got out of the habit so need to start all over again.

That's a good decision PrimeTimer and believe me, I know how very difficult it can be to get started ! But after a few struggles with the "start of it all" it slowly really starts to get a bit easier.
I send you my best wishes and good luck from Kristina. :grouphug;

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
cassandra
Elite Member

« Reply #273 on: September 10, 2016, 04:22:55 AM »

Today I went for a 'tea' with a former D colleague. But I'd forgotten that it's day 1 from the yearly Airshow. So mad busy. And my friend was late, phoned her a few times, but no go. At last I see her walking straight passed me. So I knock her on the head (she's little, I'm tall). Turns out she didn't recognise me as I was wearing a different wig.

:cheer:

1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
2020 start Gambro AK96

kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #274 on: September 18, 2016, 12:05:15 PM »

This weekend was "Open Houses" for Londoners to visit Houses and Mansions which are usually not open to the public and today we were lucky to be allowed to visit Lancaster House which is close to St. James's Palace and much of Lancaster House was once part of the palace complex (and it certainly shows!!!), but these days it is mainly used by the government and is managed by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office to entertain dignitaries from all over the world. Lancaster House is one of the most splendid and beautiful palaces I have ever seen and it is so lucky that visitors were given a chance to visit it today on "Open House Day". Today was also the last day of the London Antiques Show and before we went to visit Lancaster House we had a walk through the Antiques Show at London Berkeley Square. We both love going to Antiques shows because visitors are allowed to take their time and study closely antique paintings by well known classical painters.
All in all it was a very inspirational and happy day. :grouphug;

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »