I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:09:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  TRIBUTES FOR MEMBERS LOST
| |-+  Tribute For Bill "Epoman" Halcomb
| | |-+  Rest in Peace Bill "Epoman" Halcomb
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rest in Peace Bill "Epoman" Halcomb  (Read 103628 times)
melshell

« Reply #100 on: March 07, 2007, 04:50:07 PM »

I've suffered losses, quite a few in the last couple of years infact, between my husbands family and my own.... But this is soooooo different!! I was so shocked and saddened by Epoman's sudden passing, I wanted to call my best girl friend and cry on her shoulder, or call my sister,  but as much as I rave about IHD they would've had no idea who Epoman even was, or why his passing has had such an affect on me. I talk about IHD constantly and try to encourage my friends and family to join, but unfortunately I haven't had much success...I'm writing here because I've realized that only my IHD family, aside from his own family who knew him personally, can know what a great loss we've suffered. Epoman's passing is yet another example, or re-affirmation of why this community fills such a need in all of our lives as we go through what we do in dealing with this disease. We all knew him because he reached out to us through his personal battle, and he knew and understood what each of us was facing because he was facing it himself. And through his passing, we are forced to face our own mortality yet again. Epoman continues to educate us even in his passing.  My lesson: To take pride in those that we love; he was sooooo proud of his son and talked about him constantly. To encourage, educate, and engage those around us-draw them out and learn from their experiences, as well as teach them through your own. To leave an important legacy, so that your dreams and your work continues on after you are gone. And, finally, to speak your mind-not to judge or to be judged by others, but so that your voice will never be quieted. My sincere hope is to do utmost justice to a great man that was admired and loved by many. I think the greatest honor we all can bestow upon him is to ensure that IHD continues, thrives, in loving memory as he wished. My heart goes out to Epokid and Epowife as well as Epoman's family here at IHD. God speed Epoman.

FSGS since 1991
ESRD 9/06
PD since 12/06

"...atleast I didn't wake up dead this morning..."

sqzagapeach@yahoo.com
myspace.com/mel8675309
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #101 on: March 07, 2007, 05:24:57 PM »

Nice poem Amanda.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #102 on: March 07, 2007, 07:42:51 PM »

I am so sad - cannot believe what I am reading.  This site has been so important to all of us. He was an incredible person and has helped us grow and learn during the time we knew him.  Prayers for his family. I know God has a special place for Epoman, but the void he will leave here is vast.  I feel lost without our leader.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #103 on: March 07, 2007, 10:35:11 PM »

The baton has been passed on to Goofynina and Sluff and our moderators.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #104 on: March 08, 2007, 04:53:31 PM »

The baton has been passed on to Goofynina and Sluff and our moderators.
It has been passed on to all who care about this site.  As I asked some members when we were chatting, it is important that everyone who cares takes on the vision of the website.   Right now we are operating without Epoman, and Rerun's computer is down.  If you see something on the website that needs the attention of an administrator or moderator, just send a Personal Message (go to their profile and click on Personal Message).  That would help greatly instead of just complaining in the forum.
The greatest tribute to Epoman would be that this site goes on from strength to strength.
His aim was to create a site that would outlive him.  It is up to us all.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #105 on: March 08, 2007, 06:22:08 PM »

Good words, Bajanne. It is our duty to carry on his good work.  He choose good moderators and put his trust in them; and we will too.  My heart is heavy tonight.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
cosmickelly

From my 09/08/07 wedding

« Reply #106 on: March 09, 2007, 04:38:25 AM »

I am truly sorry for not responding sooner.  I logged into the forums section today after about a week's absence.  (I log on to the arcade to play Bubble Shooter and other games daily!!)

OMG!! I am just realizing who Bill Halcomb really is....EPOMAN!!

I heard of his death on another dialysis community site.  The person reporting the news about his death was shocked because Bill was her age.  I didn't make the connection there because I always assumed Bill was much older and wiser because of the creation of such an awesome, open dialysis community.

My condolences to his family.

You gotta believe he's in a place so much better.....  Running around with a perfectly operating kidney.  Free of dialysis enjoying a nice game...   (like I saw him in the picture with his son!!  Thanks so much for the pictures!!)

CosmicKelly  :grouphug;

In-center Hemodialysis since 9/2004
ESRD, Diabetic Neuropathy, Peripheral Vascular Neuropathy
Epokid

« Reply #107 on: March 09, 2007, 09:06:21 PM »

why my dad?I feel like  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :-[ :-[ :-[   :thumbdown; :thumbdown; :thumbdown;  why?why? :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :banghead; :banghead; :banghead; :banghead; :banghead; :banghead;    at least he is a :angel;  you know I heard that in heaven, you get a brand new body.  It is true,right?
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #108 on: March 09, 2007, 09:25:21 PM »

:cuddle;  Epokid,  My heart is also breaking for you. You have been so brave through this. Your Dad would be Soooooo proud of you.

He talked about you all the time. I am sure he is looking down on you from Heaven in a healthy body.  :angel;

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
Jill D.

« Reply #109 on: March 09, 2007, 09:29:24 PM »

Nick, I know he is not in pain and that he is whole...and watching over you and your mom :angel;

I am so sorry for your pain and sadness...I'm sure it was a very hard day for you, and I thought about you, your mom, and of course your dad today while the service was taking place. I wish I could have been there.

Believe it or not, there will come a day when thinking about your dad when bring a smile to your face more often than tears in your eyes and sadness in your heart. Please know that you can always come here to vent and express your feelings. We all care so much.

Diagnosed with FSGS in1990.
Started hemodialysis in April 2006.
Received a new kidney from my sister on Dec. 5, 2006.
Transplant rejection in March, 2009
Approved for second transplant in May 2009
Sister-in-law approved as donor in Dec 2009
anja

« Reply #110 on: March 09, 2007, 09:53:08 PM »

:-\  Epokid, you are such a trooper!  It is not at all unusual for you to wonder why.  It is very natural under the circumstances.  Thought of you  especially tonight as I am sure it was a very hard day for you .  Tomorrow will also be difficult, but know that many surround you there for strength in your sorrow and many, many more around the nation and world also offer their support by way of this wonderful site your dad arranged for us!  Take care and sweet dreams.  Anja
Jill D.

« Reply #111 on: March 09, 2007, 10:09:52 PM »

Nick, I know he is not in pain and that he is whole...and watching over you and your mom :angel;

I am so sorry for your pain and sadness...I'm sure it was a very hard day for you, and I thought about you, your mom, and of course your dad today while the service was taking place. I wish I could have been there.

Believe it or not, there will come a day when thinking about your dad when bring a smile to your face more often than tears in your eyes and sadness in your heart. Please know that you can always come here to vent and express your feelings. We all care so much.

Nick...I thought I had read the funeral was Friday...I thought about you and your mom and your dad all day and will be thinking of you tomorrow  especially.

Warm hugs to you and your mom :grouphug; :grouphug;

Diagnosed with FSGS in1990.
Started hemodialysis in April 2006.
Received a new kidney from my sister on Dec. 5, 2006.
Transplant rejection in March, 2009
Approved for second transplant in May 2009
Sister-in-law approved as donor in Dec 2009
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #112 on: March 10, 2007, 03:32:57 AM »

You are absolutely correct Nick, your Dad has his perfect body now...No More Chair. No more pain.

It may be hard on you and your Mom but don't forget that your Dad is at peace now and he is still among us in spirit.

Hang in there buddy, our thoughts are with you.

Sluff
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #113 on: March 10, 2007, 05:50:13 AM »

Nick, our hearts are all breaking for you and you Mom.  Your Dad was a hero and a warrior who fought for all of us with kidney failure. His spirit lives on in you. You have every right to be mad now. Please know that hundreds of people around the world are crying with you.  His body is whole and he has no pain. 

Andy55

« Reply #114 on: March 10, 2007, 02:11:04 PM »

Incredibly sad news...I was offline this past week and just heard. What a hero. What a loss.

Andy

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
nextnoel

« Reply #115 on: March 12, 2007, 08:41:24 AM »

Nick, I am so sorry you are hurting so much.   :grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug;

Your dad definitely is in Heaven, which means he has no pain and no limitations like he had on earth.  Nothing hurts him now, and he is in a really good place.  I know that doesn't make the hurt for you any less, and you definitely got a rotten deal, but remember, even though he isn't physically there for you to hug, he is still just as close to you.  He loved you so much, and I never knew any man prouder of his son (and you deserve it, too!).   That love has not stopped in the least - it will always surround you. 

Your loss is so huge because your love for him is so huge.  Your dad was a hero, and I am so glad he had a wonderful son like you - you're amazing.

Meantime, cry, rant, beat the stuffings out of a boxing bag if you can find one, do whatever helps you get through these hard times, and remember that all of us are thinking of you and wishing we could be there in person  to help dry your tears.  You and your dad and your mom will always be in my prayers.
:grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug;

I can't reach the hill like I used to, but I'm not at a standstill yet!
lamillinger913

« Reply #116 on: March 12, 2007, 11:00:38 AM »

I am very new to the community, but I want to join in the expression of shock and grief over this terrible news. Bill's family will be in my prayers.

Lee Anne

"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth nor anything else in all creation will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

such small hands http://lamillinger.typepad.com/
Eating Well on Dialysis http://lamillinger.typepad.com/eating_well_on_dialysis/
PMP

« Reply #117 on: March 12, 2007, 04:02:22 PM »

Wow.  I can't believe Epoman is gone.  I'd been away from the forum for a while and thought I was dreaming when I logged in and saw the post about him.  Just couldn't believe it.  Sort of hit me like a kick in the stomach.  And I didn't even really "know" him that well or for that long.

He got on my butt one time because I posted a picture here that wasn't to size.  I knew he was serious!  I deleted that picture pronto. 

But I truly respected him.  For one thing, every time I got to say to my dad (who is the one on dialysis), "Oh, I saw that on I Hate Dialysis dot.com" he would chuckle.   He got/gets a kick out of "I Hate Dialysis" because he can truly relate.  Just the name of this website is great.  And I guess Epoman is responsible for that.  So thank you for that, Epoman, among many other things.

Pat

strateup

Another Day In the Life

« Reply #118 on: March 12, 2007, 09:08:45 PM »

Epofamily and friends, I have been in the hospital and have just received the terrible news today.  I must admit that I couldn't stop the tears as the words sank in.  Although I never personally met Bill I felt like I knew him.  His passing is a great loss to many people,but none more then to his wife and child.  Being a father of four I can only pray and hope for the same thing that Bill wanted and that is to see my children grow up and graduate.  To Bill's family you may not be able to see him, but he is with you.  He was a great man that has left an incredible legacy.  Epofamily we consider you part of our family.  Please stay in touch we will always be here for you.
Much Love,     Steve

Diagnosed ESRD 1982, Transplant 1994, Rejection 1 year out,  Started PD 1995, Peritonitis, Started Hemodialysis 1999, Switched to Home Hemodialysis 2010
Still Kickin A@@
mallory

« Reply #119 on: March 13, 2007, 01:31:11 PM »

I just can't believe this.  I am sitting at my desk bawling like a baby, this is so sad.  Bill did so much for all of us, I feel like without this site I never would have made it.  What huge loss to the renal community.  Bill, we will miss you forever.

Trina and Nick, you'll be in my parayers, may God bless you and comfort you, I hope you can find peace in knowing what a positive impact Epoman had on so many people.

Sometimes the light’s all shinin’ on me;
Other times I can barely see.
Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it’s been.
                                  - Jerry Garcia
sallyd

DECAF!?!? I don't need no stinkin' DECAF!

« Reply #120 on: March 16, 2007, 04:18:13 PM »

I have just learned of Epoman's passing.  I wish I could put my arms around his wife and child and comfort them in their sorrow and grief.  I believe though, that his strength has been with them for a very long time and it must surely in some way support them now.  Yes, such sadness.  But what a legacy, huh?  Just look at our member list - see what responses have been posted.  Not just a simple life, was it?  Brings forth a lot of reality to me!  Aren't we fortunate to have each other as always?  Even without him we have our site and that is his living strength.  Oh, but I still wish I could comfort his family - from my heart, the warmest of my thoughts and deepest sympathies go out to you.  (I'll be back soon, fellow IHD's, and hope you will as well) :grouphug;  Sally

sallyd  ;)
John S.

« Reply #121 on: March 17, 2007, 09:20:20 AM »

Rest In Peace Epoman. Finally.....

john
Maz

« Reply #122 on: March 17, 2007, 07:14:40 PM »

I been away for a couple of weeks, I am new to this site and haven't posted much yet but I read the posts almost daily, I am very sad for his passing, Epoman's journey through life was incredibly hard and yet he proved you can get back up time and time again, this was inspirational to me and gave me hope that there is someone that can help us through our journey most of the time. I read his story when I first came here and was so inspired by it to help myself where I can and to try to not let this takeover my life.  Epoman was extremely valuable to our community and he will be missed greatly, my thoughts are with his family at this time. Marion
Hephs-little-lady

Always dance like no one is watching!

« Reply #123 on: March 19, 2007, 12:27:39 AM »

I have just read this and am so shocked and saddened. Epoman was a great inspiration to so many people. His achievements will undoubtedly live on for a long time to come. My love and prayers are with the Epofamily.

H-L-L

:D Knowledge Is Knowing That A Tomato Is A Fruit, Wisdom Is Not Putting It In A Fruit Salad.
luckaholic

« Reply #124 on: March 23, 2007, 09:04:10 PM »

I just found out the other day I and too am in total shock and wasnt sure if it was true. He seemed like such a strong person. I thought it was strange that he hadnt emailed me. I wish epokid and epowife all the best and I hope you are both doing okay. Its great to see the site still going strong, as epo had wanted.
I hope he is at peace now and I am sure he is watching over all of us. Take care xoxoxox Amber (amberpamba/panda)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »